cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another ridiculous return!

I sold an internet cable modem and he FIRST SENTENCE of the description states ‘JUST THE MODEM’. 

Now the buyer opens a return return case for ‘missing parts’ and is asking me where the cord is!!!

ebay won’t close it out, and if they do they’ll force close it and give me a defect I’d have to get removed a week later for ‘case closed without seller resolution’. 

And SUPPOSEDLY eBay has NO WAY TO CHANGE a false SNAD to buyers remorse!!!! All these dumb updates that ruin the site and all this time spent on useless tools, yet YOU CAN’T ALTER YOUR RETURN SYSTEM TO STOP FALSE CLAIMS!!!

PLEASEE, someone PLEASSEEEE TELL ME HOW A COMPANY MAKING THIS MUCH MONEY, can’t habdle something SO SIMPLE!?

another rep said ACCEPT IT and then appeal it after I get the return!! You have to be kidding me! What kind of advice is that! How about just fix your returns!!!

Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

Re: Another ridiculous return!

@goodluckselling wrote: 
What makes you think the OP has described it exactly correct?  How on earth can the OP describe as working perfectly when they can not even power it up due to no power supply?

I have to admit that I did wonder myself how it could verified as working fine unless the power supply was there to power it, and if so, why the power supply wasn't shipped with it. Why leave it behind?

(The missing item isn't just a power cord, but a specific rating of power supply with a specific connector on the end.)

Message 46 of 173
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

This. WHY should it be a SNAD when it's exactly as described?

The OP is NOT NOT NOT complaining about the return. He's complaining about the false SNAD.

What makes you think the OP has described it exactly correct?  How on earth can the OP describe as working perfectly when they can not even power it up due to no power supply?

Good Luck Selling!

Seriously? The reason the buyer gave for the return was described in the listing. 

OP listed it as being the MODEM ONLY. Buyer filed SNAD because it was the MODEM ONLY.

That's the entire point of the discussion.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 47 of 173
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote: 

I have to admit that I did wonder myself how it could verified as working fine unless the power supply was there to power it, and if so, why the power supply wasn't shipped with it. Why leave it behind?

(The missing item isn't just a power cord, but a specific rating of power supply with a specific connector on the end.)

Why would one just assume that the OP didn't test it? Is there only one power supply and one of these modems in existence?

Maybe the OP has the exact same device and tried it out with HIS power supply.

The 'what ifs' are really about as relevant as eBay's search results here. 

Message 48 of 173
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote: 

Why would one just assume that the OP didn't test it? Is there only one power supply and one of these modems in existence?

Yea okay.  Keep pressing for any kind of light that might bring relief.  None of that matters because selling a used item is defined on eBay as being working perfectly with all parts, and I can tell you seem to be disguised as someone who is trying to squeeze through some kind of small loophole (which explains a lot about your character) that eBay will 100% of the time side with the buyer because the seller mis-listed the item.  End of story!

Good Luck Selling!

Message 49 of 173
latest reply

OP when listing items in this environment, you have got to assume the worst.   The worst meaning your buyer has limitations.   You have got to spell out  that what is not included in as many areas as possible:  in the title, the items specifics and description.   

You have also go to take into considerations there are buyers who are trolling those listings of which the Seller may have excluded info that should have been mentioned; it is their hopes of getting a freebie.   Get in the habit of re-looking at your listing before you submit them;  size up what may go wrong and tighten up those things.    Unfortunately, we have all encounter a buyer who expected something that was clearly no shown or even mentioned in the listing and its frustrating, but reality is you will encounter these buyer types, so try to make your listings as return proof as possible.  

Message 50 of 173
latest reply

**general reply**

If I were to read "modem only" I would take it to mean...a modem and not a  modem/router. You have modems and you have modem/router combos. (I have DSL and use a modem/router combo.)   I would also expect a power cord. I would NOT expect ethernet cords and that sort of thing, but a power cord IMO is an integral part of any electrical device that is plugged in to an electrical socket.

"Comes with just the Modem

No issues and works great.

Due to it being pre owned it might have some minor blemishes but nothing major."

NOWHERE does the listing state that there is no cord.

Just my two cents FWIW

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 51 of 173
latest reply

This seller has lots of experience and is a board regular.  I don't think he needs to be scolded and told to be a better seller. 

No doubt every seller here could find find room for improvement upon a little honest introspection. 

Just maybe adding more language to his description for next time.

Why?  If a seller experiences confused/disappointed buyers on a regular basis but eBay kisses all the booboos away (paying seller, removing defects, blocking or removing negative feedback), why should a seller bother to add three words to a description, or test items sold as "working"?

The OP is complaining that eBay's process is a little more difficult; I'm of the opinion that the process does nobody a favor: not ebay, not buyers. not other sellers, not even the seller involved. 

Message 52 of 173
latest reply

Yep, good analysis. Also use LARGE BULLETTED FONTS--NO POWER CORD INCLUDED WITH MODEM.

Message 53 of 173
latest reply

I'm sorry your having to deal with this. But I'm curious, if it's simply the modem box with no cables or power supply, how do you even know it works? For all you know, the modem is dead, which is why everything else is missing.
Message 54 of 173
latest reply

@gebis28 wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:
Not at all. I will either get it closed and go through the hassle or appeal after accepting. I WILL be reimbursed by eBay 100% Guaranteed..how I am every time...its just a MASSIVE HASSLE on their part that they PURPOSELY do..I will continue to post all nonsense

OMG and this right here is WHY buyers feel they need to lie. 

Buyers are sick of sellers who don't honor their return policies.

And then sellers come here to the boards wondering where all the buyers have gone.  Well gee, I wonder...

Message 55 of 173
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote: 

Yea okay.  Keep pressing for any kind of light that might bring relief.  None of that matters because selling a used item is defined on eBay as being working perfectly with all parts, and I can tell you seem to be disguised as someone who is trying to squeeze through some kind of small loophole (which explains a lot about your character) that eBay will 100% of the time side with the buyer because the seller mis-listed the item.  End of story!

Good Luck Selling!

The functionality of the item wasn't the buyer's complaint. End of story!

Message 56 of 173
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

You listed it as used, you would think the power cord comes with it. I can see not having the other cables, but the power cable is part of the unit, without it, you have a paperweight. 

Absolutely correct. And then on top of that the OP is calling it "buyer's remorse".  It is NOT buyers remorse. I wish people would stop confusing that term when dealing with returns.

Message 57 of 173
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

The functionality of the item wasn't the buyer's complaint. End of story!

It was EXACTLY the buyer's complaint. It cannot function without the cord unless you know some magical way to run it without power. Not only that, even if the buyer buys a cord it still may not work. WOW

Message 58 of 173
latest reply

I have learned to list incomplete items as "For Parts / Not Working" instead of "Used" even if the item itself is in perfect working order, mostly because buyers don't read the description however nowhere in your listing does it state the cable is missing. It does state "only the modem" however I would have used the "condition description" box to specifically mention the missing cable.

One thing I have learned, it's about reducing the returns by doing everything I can from my end.

Because once a buyer starts a return, there is really not a whole lot a seller can do.

Ranting about it here isn't going to fix it.

The only way to reduce returns is to learn how to list things in a certain manner.

Lets just say, I have learned to follow the protocol.

@honestabe411 wrote:

One odd thing is the buyer has 700+ feedback this month from JUST BUYING. And it’s not resell items, it’s all random stuff. Gaming stuff, modems, and for market prices..not sure what’s up with that. 

It might be a purchasing account, some folks have separate accounts just for that, it may even be the purchasing account of a B&M for all we know.

Message 59 of 173
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:
Not at all. I will either get it closed and go through the hassle or appeal after accepting. I WILL be reimbursed by eBay 100% Guaranteed..how I am every time...its just a MASSIVE HASSLE on their part that they PURPOSELY do..I will continue to post all nonsense

I think you'll eventually lose with that strategy and it's also costing other sellers their sales.

It is difficult, with Big bad Poobah watching every move we make on these boards to respond in a clear and concise manner what I believe the problem is, but I will say fighting with buyers is never a good idea.

Hate walking on eggshells, but we do what we must if we are to survive.

@honestabe411 wrote:
So if I sell a car without a battery I should list the car in parts and not functioning?

Yes, ebay defines used as "fully operational and functions as intended."

Message 60 of 173
latest reply