cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Selling a Valuable Saxophone

I am considering listing for auction a 1949 King Super 20 Alto Saxophone.  I've owned it since around 1970.  I see them selling for around $2000.  Haven't sold a musical instrument or anything over $500.  I know that I would need to have the package insured, tracking, and signature required.  

Want to know if there is anything else I should consider.  I have considered selling it to a local music store, but I think I could be more selling it on eBay.  

You're insights would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

List it on reverb.com

It's a better marketplace for MI than ebay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I would consider that local music store, or if you are serious about listing it here, do it with local pick up.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Weigh your options, if selling on eBay would generate more money to offset the negatives like dealing with INAD or defective and damaged on arrival, most buyers are honest, but things happen in shipping plus consider buyer expectations.

If an item sells on eBay for $2000 but can get $1500 locally, I would do local.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

See if you can find a local music store that might take it on consignment.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Don't do it.  Sell it in person. Take cash. 

You don't have to worry about INR, INAD or  chargebacks.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Will probably take 30+ days to received funds from the sale on eBay fro selling something expensive.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Try to sell face-to-face with cash, or on consignment with a musical instruments store with a good reputation  near your neighborhood.

Expensive items are a magnet for thieves on eBay -- the higher the value, the more possibility for NAD claims and/or credit card chargebacks.

Since saxophones are still very popular musical instruments, I would forgo the instant "sale" on eBay, and leave it to the experts at the music store, who might actually get you a better price than you may be expecting.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Safer to do a local sale to the music store or someone local on craigslist.  Meet at a police station, many have meetup places for exchanges.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I sold an a very expensive Holton French horn back in September via auctions.  Before I sold it I wanted some documentation on its condition so I spent a couple hundred to get it cleaned and serviced by a local expert.  This way no one can receive it and state there's something wrong since I included the receipt and the service warranty.  I couldn't get any Buy It Nows when I was at $2,800  and then $2,590,  so I listed it via auction and started at $2,350 and it ended up with a few bids and closed at $2,950.  I'm in the Chicagoland area and I researched Craigs and FB and I didn't feel comfortable because how many French Horn players could there be in my area and I've seen the big money being received from eBay sales.  I also thought about music consignment shops, however, I did not feel comfortable having them hold my horn and letting anyone try to play it.  I was afraid someone might drop it and when you go to a store they have you sign paperwork that they are not responsible for anything that might go wrong.  

I looked at how the better instrument stores sold top dollar here and I reviewed how they worded their listings.  I liked how they didn't give out the entire serial number in the listing so in my title after the description I entered #692XXX, the first 3 numbers only.   I also took the best photos I could without taking a photo of the model or serial number.  I took a photo of the receipt showing what everything was done, without any personal info.  I also mentioned that it would be shipped via UPS with so "no PO Box please" and that it would have to be signed for.

Since I didn't know what it would sell for, when shipping it at UPS I spent an extra $70 for adding insurance and it included the signature feature.  After I shipped it out I not only entered the tracking number I also sent via eBay email to the buyer a nice thank you note along with close up photos of the horn's model number and serial number.  I wanted to have on eBay's record the model and serial number in case I received a different horn back for some reason.

Fortunately the buyer is honest and he received a beautiful horn that should become a family heirloom.  You are not the only one who has concerns of selling  high ticket items and I wish you the best of luck in selling yours.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@ednkarens wrote:

I sold an a very expensive Holton French horn back in September via auctions.  Before I sold it I wanted some documentation on its condition so I spent a couple hundred to get it cleaned and serviced by a local expert.  This way no one can receive it and state there's something wrong since I included the receipt and the service warranty. 

That receipt and warranty would have been meaningless in a "not as described" dispute.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The receipt and the warranty are from a business that has been servicing instruments for 20 years.  If there is a "Not As Described" dispute then the buyer would have to be pretty specific.  Doesn't eBay take in account a proof of service from a business to help settle disputes?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@ednkarens 

If there is a "Not As Described" dispute then the buyer would have to be pretty specific.  Doesn't eBay take in account a proof of service from a business to help settle disputes?"

Nope -- totally meaningless to eBay.

All a buyer on eBay has to say is "The item is not as described."  

Period.  End of story.

And there is no guarantee that what is returned to the seller will actually BE the original item which had been sold to the buyer.  There are countless firsthand stories on these boards from eBay sellers who responded to NAD claims, only to receive in return boxes filled with rocks, or bricks, or newspapers, or assorted garbage, or feces. . ..

Or nothing at all.

Let the seller beware.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

And this reason is why ebay is not going to do well with its only stated business strategy for growing the site.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@ednkarens wrote:

I sold an a very expensive Holton French horn back in September via auctions. 

Please allow me to apologize in advance but sometimes these boards need a little humor.

I played in a number of bands and orchestras. As with any tight group there are esoteric jokes no one else gets.

Like the french horn player who couldn't kiss his wife without grabbing her ass. (Well a bit deeper than that but decorum and all that).

Sorry.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

You have been on eBay a long time always consider the #1 rule as a seller "Never list anything you cannot afford to take the financial loss on". Everyone has already commented about the risk and lack of seller protection so I won't add to that.

From a buyers perspective this is not something I would shop for online but more something I would look for in a music store where I can physically examine the item before spending that kind of money. 

Message 15 of 21
latest reply