cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Selling a Valuable Saxophone

I am considering listing for auction a 1949 King Super 20 Alto Saxophone.  I've owned it since around 1970.  I see them selling for around $2000.  Haven't sold a musical instrument or anything over $500.  I know that I would need to have the package insured, tracking, and signature required.  

Want to know if there is anything else I should consider.  I have considered selling it to a local music store, but I think I could be more selling it on eBay.  

You're insights would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Advice on Selling a Valuable Saxophone

Uh, no.  All a buyer has to do is open an item not as described case and nothing about the seller's previous record will matter.  He'll be required to send a prepaid return label and to refund in full upon receipt of the returned item.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@ednkarens wrote:

The receipt and the warranty are from a business that has been servicing instruments for 20 years.  If there is a "Not As Described" dispute then the buyer would have to be pretty specific.  Doesn't eBay take in account a proof of service from a business to help settle disputes?

No.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

List it on reverb.com

It's a better marketplace for MI than ebay

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on my plans to list my vintage saxophone.  I have decided to take it around to some of the local music stores.   I took it to one store and they are interested and will get back to me.  Another store said that they could sell it for me as a consignment and take 25%, but they think they can get close to $4000 for it.  So, it may take awhile, but I am in no hurry.  This is a rare instrument in really good shape - it will only get more valuable as time goes on.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I tried working with local music stores and found that the process was difficult.  They did not seem interested in working with me.  So, I took paraquip's advice and set up a Reverb account and listed it there.  I sold it within a few days for $3,300.  After fees and shipping, I netted $2960.  A musician purchased the saxophone and was really excited when he received it.  Turned out to be a great experience.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Never mind, you already sold it. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply