cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About videos

Listened to the Seller check in and in the session about the new listing form, the lady who presented made some interesting statements about videos.....  I can't link to them because they don't have replays of the "extra sessions" or whatever they were called.

Anyway, she said that they had recently done updates on how videos were being handled.  I understood her to mean within the last several days.  As of the update, the reviews were being handled much faster....Most within 24 hrs, all within 48 hrs (some minor exceptions).  Also, IF the videos rejected, there should be a popup with a code number when you hovered over the rejection (I presume that means when you go to revise and see the rejection).  Where you find the explanations relative to the codes, I didn't get.......maybe instead of a code, it's an explanation.

She was pretty adamant that they were sure the review time was much improved......so I'm curious to hear what experiences people have had THIS wk or later with trying to use videos. 

@gurlcat    I know you were wondering about this............

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

About videos

The last one I put up, a few days ago, took about five minutes to be approved....completely floored me. I'm not expecting that that will be the new norm, but this sounds encouraging...especially as we head into Q4. Now, if only we can get them to provide an icon in search and filter for listings with videos, AND give us Video Traffic reports as well. 

Thanks for providing the welcome news!

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

About videos

Thanks for tagging me; nobody's ever done that about a topic I was concerned with before.  I'm getting a little verklempt.  Tuak amongst yaselves. I'll give you a topic: Grape Nuts contain neither grapes nor nuts.  😆

No but seriously how's this for serendipity: the reason I came to the Community just now was to give an update on my post.  No, the listing in question didn't finally get its' video reviewed and visible, not even after opening TWO tickets on it (EFB and Chat in Help/Contact).  Or rather THAT item number version of the listing never got reviewed.  But today I just decided to end/sell similar it for like the 4th or 5th time, because why not?    Not like I'd lose my place in "line" or whatever, ha.  What I did this time was list the item, then a few minutes later open it for revision, and add the video.  I did it at about noon I think, and I don't know how soon the video actually got accepted because I didn't check it until a moment ago, 7:15, and was shocked to see it there, holy cow.  

Now I don't know what to make of this part: I played it, and the quality was really bad, a far cry from how it looks when played directly from my hard drive.  Too bright, colors washed out, highly pixilated, AND it froze/buffered a couple times.  Now I wish I'd paused it and took a screenshot.  When it finished I played it again and it was fine!   But I thought, is it going to be cruddy the first time every buyer plays it?  Because that first play is all you'll get with most people.  I got on my buyer account and looked at it from there, and it was fine.  So I don't know what happened with that first view from my main account, whether the bad playback likely to be the first version some buyers see, and/or whether it has anything to do with this new handling approach. 

If you're curious, this is item number 125449809352 -the title starts with 'BIG Hattie Carnegie' (easy to find if you sort by 'newest'; I have only 70 listings up right now).  If you play it, give it a second play and see if it's better the second time.  

Anyway thanks so much for making a post about this update, very good to hear! 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

About videos

@gurlcat 

Played well for me, first time. Very nice.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

About videos

Oh good, thanks for checking! 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

About videos

It played very well @gurlcat but IMHO the figurine you're using for display overpowers the piece you're selling - I only had eyes for that interesting figurine with the vibrant colour palette and the textured backside, and at times was unable to distinguish the jewellery from it. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

About videos

@gurlcat 

Glad to hear it seemed to work for you........  Looked fine to me on lst play........so maybe they actually have solved the approval process.    We can only hope..........and would like to hear more experiences.

After 18 years of this, I shouldn't be amazed, but still am......at the "throw it out there and then correct it" mentality of Ebay.  Ebay just doesn't seem to understand the contempt and discouragement that sellers experience when trying to use a "new" tool that is half baked and then they wonder why there is low adoption.   Why there can't be a "beta" with people volunteering to test/comment to begin with, rather than put it out to the entire site where sellers have to struggle with the "what did I do wrong" possible part of the equation is just ridiculous to me.  

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

About videos

Wow Ebay still making videos difficult.  On that other E platform where people sell mostly hand made and vintage, I make a simple video on my cell, upload and presto it's on as soon as I click list. Never had a single issue. I also sell more there at higher prices than I ever sold here. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

About videos

I'm confused.  If by 'figurine' you mean the Asian lady in a gold kimono with green belt and collar, holding a lantern with an oval faux opal for the 'fire' (and yes her backside is textured) .... she IS the piece; she is a pendant.  That's why there's a bail at the top of her head, where the chain goes through.  What did you think the actual jewelry was, just the lantern she's holding?  
DFD7650C-3042-4C39-B3F9-05315D8CE947_1_201_a.jpeg

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

About videos

Ah, how it works on Etsy --that's what I asked on my other thread about this.  My guess about why it's easier there is, they don't have a 'pause' feature and playing the video doesn't require a whole window opening up; it autoplays there in the photo frame.  Oh, and they obviously must simply trust you not to post p_ _n or spam or whatever, unlike here.  

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

About videos

@gurlcat wrote:

If you play it, give it a second play and see if it's better the second time.

I played it and it ran just fine the first time, though I'm on a desktop with a high-speed connection. I'll try it via Wi-Fi to a smartphone sometime and see if that makes a difference. 

Content-wise, let me suggest having a ruler behind it in the shot, even if just at the beginning of the video before it starts to turn, because otherwise there's not a lot of context to show how big it is, and some users may home in on the video alone, missing the one photo that shows it to be 3" tall. Good luck.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

About videos

Thank you.  I was also viewing the video on my home computer with wifi (Comcast cable internet, their 'medium' speed available) the first time I played the video and it looked so bad.  But I have a theory I should have mentioned before: I had a few tabs open, and one of them was Youtube, playing a video (I was just listening to it while I worked).  I don't understand internet tech very well, but is it possible I was just using up too much bandwidth(?) with Youtube and the other tabs open at the same time?   Anyway, I appreciate you and everyone who has checked it out for me.  At this point I think that first playback was just a fluke of some kind or other, and not what a buyer would usually see. 

Oh, but when you looked at the listing, was this photo not there?  

35866B42-489F-4926-8F56-E27C43371D19_1_201_a.jpeg

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

About videos

@gurlcat wrote:

Oh, but when you looked at the listing, was this photo not there?  

I did see it; yes. What I meant was that prospective buyers might get tunnel vision and home in on the video (2nd image in the photo list) because of the big Play button icon in the middle, and not notice that Photo 3 has a ruler in it.

In a thumbnail image, the clear ruler is a little hard to notice. My own preference is to use a bright yellow ruler that will contrast with everything around it, making it stand out and easy to read:

s-l1600 (78).jpg

Aside from that, I'd say that the listing is as clear as it could be. Good luck!

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

About videos

"so I'm curious to hear what experiences people have had THIS wk or later with trying to use videos"

2 days ago I had 14 videos sitting on review and  1 denied with no explanation.  Replaced each video with itself and all were active within a couple hours.   Hope it stays this way!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

About videos

@goombaymama  That's great news! I agree----I hope that becomes the new normal!

Message 15 of 21
latest reply