cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUCTION WINNERS NOT PAYING

Lately it seems like I have to send payment reminders to every seller when I have an auction or it turns into an unpaid item case. Why doesn't ebay have immediate payment for auctions or just have the buyer link a credit card? I get frustrated when someone doesn't pay, which I don't know why they bid and don't pay, and then an unpaid item case is open. I have my settings set to automatically open an unpaid case if someone doesn't pay, but would it be wrong to just cancel the order close to the 2 day timeline they have if you don't think they're going to pay.  So on one hand, by not having an unpaid item case open I can leave negative feedback, and by having one open it's a strike against the buyer. Which do you prefer? Having to wait that 4 days to re-list is annoying.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: AUCTION WINNERS NOT PAYING

You can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Few buyers sit on their computers 24/7 waiting for an auction they have bid on to end so immediate payment required is not an option.    Allowing ebay to automatically charge a credit card for payment for an auction opens a whole new can of worms for scammers.

The solution is to use Fixed price listings with immedicate payment required  instead of auctions if non-payers are so much of a problem. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Patience is a virtue.  🙂  If the buyer has two or three days to pay, give them the two or three days to pay before you worry.  Unneeded stress.

Curious, how many unpaid item claims have you had to open in the last 6 months?  

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

No where in your listings does it tell the buyer how long they have to pay. How are buyers supposed to know what your expectations are for paying? Many may assume you do not care. Some will think you are fine waiting a week, some may assume you'll wait until their next pay.

Different categories have different buyers so almost every seller will have different experiences with  NPBs but I don't remember any of mine.

Worry about things that you have control over. You can't force a buyer to pay. If it bothers you that much, and you have done everything to limit it, stop using auctions.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I've also been experiencing this a bit now I'm selling again. The first time it happened, I freaked out,  got upset that my buyer didn't acknowledge or respond to my nice reminder note, etc. And I posted here and was advised not to stress, not to micromanage, not to worry about what I couldn't control. Guess what? The advice I received was absolutely right.

I also have my items set to automatically open an Unpaid Item case after 48 hours. That first buyer I stressed over paid soon after the case opened 

I now have a note in all my listings that payment is expected within 48 hours following the close of auction. HOWEVER, I also add that if more time to pay is needed, the buyer may request the extra time by contacting me within the first 36 hours after the auction ends. That gives me 12 hours to receive, read, respond and deactivate the unpaid item assistant so it doesn't open a case against them. This is working for me so far as I'm selling very few items right now. I think if I were to get to the point where I was selling a lot more, I'd just go with BIN  listings. Auctions in general stress me out!😅

Belle
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

In order to require immediate payment for items being sold at auction the winning bidder would have to be actively online when the auction closed.  This would be extremely inconvenient for bidders.  Especially those located in different time zones.

Fixed price listings end immediately when the buyer commits to buying or at least the quantity of items ordered is removed from availability at a time of the buyer's choosing.

Back when payments by snail mail were permitted, I allowed ten business days for payment, but now days I've reduced that time to three business days.  Even with that I'm not quick to panic.  Of course, fixed price with IPR is the way to go if you really want to be paid quickly.  However, it does present problems if you want to offer combined shipping discounts.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

3-4 if I remember correctly.

@wolf*song wrote:

Patience is a virtue.  🙂  If the buyer has two or three days to pay, give them the two or three days to pay before you worry.  Unneeded stress.

Curious, how many unpaid item claims have you had to open in the last 6 months?  

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
You can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

By leaving false positives the OP seems to think otherwise.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

So you're complaining about people not following the rules by breaking the rules yourself and leaving negatively worded comments for buyers? You just lost any sympathy or credibility you have.

Use the available tools and stop breaking Ebay rules. We've seen people lose their selling ability for spanking buyers which does absolutely nothing anyway.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Who do youthink reads the Buyer's feedback?

Not the Buyer-- he has 100% positive whatever you said, and he can get your false positiver removed.

Not other Sellers-- only about 15% of eBay transactions are Auctions, and many of those end with a Buy It Now (It's like immediate purchase was a popular way to buy or something).  A BIN means the seller doesn't meet the customer until he buys.

The only one who reads those false postives are your potential customers -- and they noped right outta there when they saw you badmouthing other customers.

File the UID. Set it up as an automatic thing.

Or forget the failing Auctions listings and use Fixed Price /Immediate Payment Required. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

So you're complaining about people not following the rules by breaking the rules yourself and leaving negatively worded comments for buyers? You just lost any sympathy or credibility you have.

Use the available tools and stop breaking Ebay rules. We've seen people lose their selling ability for spanking buyers which does absolutely nothing anyway.

I was asking, I didn't leave negative feedback. Merely just seeking advice.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

You, a seller, cannot leave neg feedback and the rules state you can't leave negative statements in feedback...........

Never paid for item  is the feedback you left for a buyer and it is not permissable........ 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You know that we can see your feedback right?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

You've described the #1 reason I do not do auctions.

Period.

I refuse to be eBay's collection agency ... file this, file that, close this ... jump through THIS hoop.

Every item I list is Fixed Price Immediate Payment Required. I probably don't get as many sales ... but a sale that's made & isn't paid for is NOT a sale, is it?

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply