cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUCTION WINNERS NOT PAYING

Lately it seems like I have to send payment reminders to every seller when I have an auction or it turns into an unpaid item case. Why doesn't ebay have immediate payment for auctions or just have the buyer link a credit card? I get frustrated when someone doesn't pay, which I don't know why they bid and don't pay, and then an unpaid item case is open. I have my settings set to automatically open an unpaid case if someone doesn't pay, but would it be wrong to just cancel the order close to the 2 day timeline they have if you don't think they're going to pay.  So on one hand, by not having an unpaid item case open I can leave negative feedback, and by having one open it's a strike against the buyer. Which do you prefer? Having to wait that 4 days to re-list is annoying.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: AUCTION WINNERS NOT PAYING

@gotmehooked28  I have very few UPIs with Auctions ... here's basically how I run them

1. Auctions end on weekends and mainly Sunday afternoon through the evening

2. I'm on the east coast, any auctions NOT paid for before I hit the sack Sunday evening I send one simple message that goes like this, "Dear _____, First & foremost thank you for the order for the ______, we have a regular Monday morning mail run from our weekend sales.  If you complete the purchase this evening the item will ship out tomorrow.  Again, thank you for your business, it is greatly appreciated.  Regards, _______"

3. If unpaid by Wednesday I message again (and this is the last one I send) politely asking if they can provide an update on the payment for the Auction they won three days ago or last Sunday.

4. If by the following weekend, say Sunday latest, if no payment I process the UPI and add Buyer to the BBL.

5. Waiting to Relist is not too bad considering some items sit for several listing cycles or months before they sell anyway.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@newview wrote:

Every item I list is Fixed Price Immediate Payment Required. I probably don't get as many sales ... but a sale that's made & isn't paid for is NOT a sale, is it? 

No argument here. If your listing format works for you, then go with it.

@newview: I don't have a whole lot to add to the topic here, but I have to say that you have one of the earliest Member Since entries that I've ever seen: August 18, 1996. Coming up on your 21st anniversary. Congratulations, you old f*rt! What was your first purchase: a broken laser pointer, or a Pez dispenser? Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@gotmehooked28  I have very few UPIs with Auctions ... here's basically how I run them

1. Auctions end on weekends and mainly Sunday afternoon through the evening

2. I'm on the east coast, any auctions NOT paid for before I hit the sack Sunday evening I send one simple message that goes like this, "Dear _____, First & foremost thank you for the order for the ______, we have a regular Monday morning mail run from our weekend sales.  If you complete the purchase this evening the item will ship out tomorrow.  Again, thank you for your business, it is greatly appreciated.  Regards, _______"

3. If unpaid by Wednesday I message again (and this is the last one I send) politely asking if they can provide an update on the payment for the Auction they won three days ago or last Sunday.

4. If by the following weekend, say Sunday latest, if no payment I process the UPI and add Buyer to the BBL.

5. Waiting to Relist is not too bad considering some items sit for several listing cycles or months before they sell anyway.

Hopefully you have the ebay dunning notices turned off .... since you are sending your own emails.

On the very few occasions I email someone regarding payment, I always mention that my invoices will NOT come up if 'paying all sellers'. Most of the time that is the problem.

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
You can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

Did you read any of the OP's post??????

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
You can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

Did you read any of the OP's post??????

Not sure what you're getting at there...? The OP has said that they want to leave a Neg for the buyer instead of filng the UPI, and their Feedback Left for Others shows several non-payment complaints placed in Positive feedback.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@newview: I don't have a whole lot to add to the topic here, but I have to say that you have one of the earliest Member Since entries that I've ever seen: August 18, 1996. Coming up on your 21st anniversary. Congratulations, you old f*rt! What was your first purchase: a broken laser pointer, or a Pez dispenser? Smiley Wink

hahaha ... yep ... thanks for the congratz!

Back in 1996 ...

DVD's Launched in Japan
In 12 months number of Internet host computers goes from 1 million to 10 million
Windows NT 4.0 released by Microsoft
Internet Explorer 3 web browser released
The first version of the Java programming language is released.
Duke Nukem 3D Shareware released to public
On July 5th Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal to be successfully cloned
Ask Jeeves formed.
Global Warming shows a record high
IBM's Deep Blue defeats Chess Champion Gary Kasparov for the first time
MSNBC ( 24hr News Channel ) a joint venture between Microsoft and NBC is launched
American Pathfinder launched on its 310 million mile mission to Mars
The Worlds Largest Container Vessel The Regina Maersk begins operation

... and I signed up on eBay.

I think my very first purchase on eBay was a used Video Game CD (I think it was Quake). Paid by check and had to wait for the check to arrive and clear seller's bank before he sent it.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I agree with you if a person wins an auction they should be required to have money withdrawn immediately. It does not matter if they are away. They already set up their limits on their bidding program. I have seen people bid an auction out to take the item off the market. I have seen items bid out to direct buyers to buy it now items that are cheaper. If you bid in a local auction you don't say I get paid in two weeks I will be back. The circumstances of the auction may have been perfect. 20 people bidding against an item and then some jerk bids the win with zero intentions of buying. Its an easy fix, all sales should be immediate payment only unless the seller decides he is willing to do it a different way. The default policy should be pay immediately or don't bid. 

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply