cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8% of sellers and 9% of buyers had left the platform: did you expect this?

According to news, this is what statistics show. Are you surprised? 

Message 1 of 180
latest reply
179 REPLIES 179

Re: 8% of sellers and 9% of buyers had left the platform: did you expect this?

@mam98031 wrote:

@espresso_warehouse wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Good for you.  OMG, Read post 138 which was my response to 136.  You wasted your time, this info had already been posted.

It is nice however to see you sourcing your posts.

"In the 4th quarter 2020 the total active buyers was 147M"

Is false. Ebay Q4 2020 reported 185M.

YEP it is.  You are correct.  Do you feel better now?

I posted I was incorrect in my post # 138 after another poster posted the graph in post #136.  We are now at post 150.  What the heck is your point??

Is there something in particular that you want?  Is there a particular number of times I need to post that I was wrong in the information I previously provided that would make you feel better?  Just let me know.

What I want is for people to stop making things up and stick to the facts.

Message 166 of 180
latest reply

@richard454 wrote:

Nope was I don't agree with the uptick being MP. The 15 new complaints overnight only a couple were regarding MP. Click the link-   bbb ebay-customer-reviews 

I've been in sales all my life- getting commission checks after 30 most of the time 60 days was the norm.

I am receiving payments now from 30+ days ago- fortunately i have the cash flow it's not going to put me in a bind and have already paid for tens of thousand in inventory.  EBay gets me about $12k a month in sales - and I'm running a 70+% profit margin-and  ship about 20 boxes a month. Don't mind the wait- but feel I'm right and not going to back down- did I say stubborn & hardheaded?

I have filled a complaint with the BBB- eBay's first response was my bank does not accept ACH payments- which is another untrue story. Awaiting the next response...

OK, so that represents the entire group of 5K before it.  For myself, I am not going to assume that.  Nor does it really matter to me.  It is interesting, but beyond that, I'm not going to research it further.

Yes, I believe at one point I explained to you on one thread or another that you brought your issues with Ebay up that you were likely on hold because you were a returning seller after time away.  And I gave you a link to the policy.

Filing a complaint against Ebay with the BBB for a policy they have had for years is not likely to get anywhere.  But I also realize, at the time the CSRs were giving you all kinds of bad information that just added to your frustration which I personally think is completely understandable.

I do not know why CSRs are reluctant to tell sellers about the New Seller and returning sellers after 90+ days away from selling Policy and the resulting hold on funds.  It is a consistent story I've seen on the threads.  They will tell a seller ANYTHING except that.  They dream up all kinds of excuses no matter how far fetched.  Like telling you that BOA doesn't accept ACH transfers.  So totally ridiculous.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 167 of 180
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@varebelrose wrote:

I also forgot the demise of Turbolister...

That was a long time ago.  How would that be affecting sellers in the last quarter of 2021 so much that they left?

It's just one more reason to add to the list.

For people leaving in the 4th Quarter of 2021.  Simply highly unlikely.  If that were a reason, it is likely they would have left a couple years ago when they retired the program.

IF I were still selling here, the most likely thing that would make me leave is sellers having their accounts suspended while in MP and no way to retrieve the money that ebay is holding.

That hasn't made me want to leave Ebay but it certainly has frustrated me with Ebay.  Ebay with their own processes have been their own worst enemy in much of this roll out of MP.  Certainly sellers have made mistakes, but Ebay has made some incredible ones.  

And it is Ebay.  As we know Etsy has the same money processor as Ebay does, Adyen.  And Etsy's MP program is much like Ebay's.  However, recently Etsy asked me to verify my SSN.  I did that and immediately they told me something was wrong and to review the info I had given them.  I did, I saw my typo, I corrected it and hit enter.  Within a second or less I had a message on my screen that my SSN had been verified.

If a smaller site like Etsy can do that, why can't Ebay do better.  They need to do better.

That is not to say that all the holds on funds are Ebay's fault.  That is a mixed bag of reasons.  There are issues on both sides of this coin.  The list of reasons is long.  But still, Ebay can and should do better.

Message 168 of 180
latest reply

@metaltech1 wrote:

Been close to a year now.

I have until March 22 to retain my TopSeller Status according to eBay.

Ebay evals every seller on the 20th of each month for the period ending the previous month.  That is something they have done for many years.

What it means is you have not likely kept the stats to qualify you for TRS.

Message 169 of 180
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Good for you.  OMG, Read post 138 which was my response to 136.  You wasted your time, this info had already been posted.

I posted I was incorrect in my post # 138 after another poster posted the graph in post #136.  We are now at post 150.  What the heck is your point??

Is there something in particular that you want?  Is there a particular number of times I need to post that I was wrong in the information I previously provided that would make you feel better?  Just let me know.

I made a mistake.  Unlike some I am just a mere human.  I admitted my mistake unlike some posters.  You seem to think it isn't enough to admit a mistake. 

You and I have been on many threads together.  I'm unsure as to why you became a self appointed content monitor, but it is clear you have taken that upon yourself for some reason on a few threads.  I don't answer to you.

Message 170 of 180
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I made a mistake.  Unlike some I am just a mere human.  I admitted my mistake unlike some posters.  You seem to think it isn't enough to admit a mistake. 

You and I have been on many threads together.  I'm unsure as to why you became a self appointed content monitor, but it is clear you have taken that upon yourself for some reason on a few threads.  I don't answer to you.

Sigh.

We are here discussing numbers. This isn't personal. You asked me what I wanted and I told you. If you don't want to know, don't ask.

Message 171 of 180
latest reply

"Sigh.

We are here discussing numbers. This isn't personal. You asked me what I wanted and I told you. If you don't want to know, don't ask."

I had apologized for my mistake already, long before you started in on me for my mistake.  It was already handled, but it wasn't good enough for you apparently as we have spend several more posts from you wanting more.  

You are in the wrong place if you think that no one is ever going to make a mistake.  You make them from time to time.  You may not want to admit them, but you still make them.  We all do.  We are all human.

Now no need to respond unless you just can't help from having the last word, I think this is an overdone subject as it is.

Message 172 of 180
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

"Sigh.

We are here discussing numbers. This isn't personal. You asked me what I wanted and I told you. If you don't want to know, don't ask."

I had apologized for my mistake already, long before you started in on me for my mistake.  It was already handled, but it wasn't good enough for you apparently as we have spend several more posts from you wanting more.  

You are in the wrong place if you think that no one is ever going to make a mistake.  You make them from time to time.  You may not want to admit them, but you still make them.  We all do.  We are all human.

Now no need to respond unless you just can't help from having the last word, I think this is an overdone subject as it is.

If you think it's overdone, stop posting. I am interested in this subject.

There is no need to be quarrelsome. If you don't want to start a conversation with me, don't start one.

Message 173 of 180
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Of course, they might a way to directly monetize this, an extra fee to maintain a balance or something, but hopefully not....I'm hoping that they will see sufficient increase in sales to cover any expense involved in creating and maintaining the wallet. 

The monetization is built in, every payment made from an MP balance would be money that eBay/Adyen pay zero fees to credit card companies, PayPal, etc. That will bring them an extra 1 - 1.5% in revenue on every sale that is funded that way.

Message 174 of 180
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  Yes, good point.

They can expect 1. more sales, because some sellers will undoubtedly buy more than before, just as happened with PayPal and 2. the money they save in fees increases their bottom line as well.

Still, I guess I wouldn't put it past them to tack on some sort of fee. But that might be counter-productive, is it might mean a lot of sellers would simply not use it.

I guess we'll see. Either way, if they finally do this, I think many sellers will be happy and the shareholders will likely be happy as well, as, even without a fee, it's basically a way to use MP to goose revenue, without actually having to bring on more buyers.

Message 175 of 180
latest reply

Sorry - I am NOT a new seller by their definition. I OPENED my store LAST February. I sell about 4-5 pieces a week- avg past 12 months about $12k/ month.  Switched to MP in October - and first of December the holds started.

My guess is my bank charges then too high a fee and they want to bully me to change banks- not happening.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for the opportunity to address your BBB complaint today. I understand you've had struggles with your payments being held for 30 days. Allow me to provide additional clarity as it pertains to your situation here.

Firstly, we appreciate your longevity on the eBay site. I recognize the news we've provided you thus far may seem abrupt, but I want to assure you that we value you as a seller. The intent is never to create obstacles for sellers to avoid, but with our new position as a processor, we must ensure we're following proper regulatory processes when it comes to the movement of money.

With this in mind, I've performed a full review of your account and the holds previously mentioned. After expending all available resources to locate a workaround, I must unfortunately inform you that the information provided to you thus far is accurate. Generally speaking, these types of issues tend to pop up more often with banks (and their associated checking accounts) which do not allow for automated clearing house ("ACH") deposits or debits. I recommend you speak with your bank to learn about whether they allow these type of ACH debits, as they integral to the internal processes for moving money on eBay.

As we continue to expand our processing offerings in the future, this will likely become a requirement to which we are able to adapt. However, please understand the only way, at this time, to remedy the transaction holds would be to supply us with a different bank account to send funds to and retrieve funds from.

I know this answer may not meet your desired resolution, but I do hope the additional information provides you with a better sense of understanding as to why these actions are taken.

Sincerely,
eBay
Message 176 of 180
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

it's basically a way to use MP to goose revenue, without actually having to bring on more buyers.

Yes, just like I do with the items I offer for sale, rather than add more items I just periodically raise prices and like magic my revenues and profits go up!

Message 177 of 180
latest reply

@slippinjimmy   Yep, that's one way to do it!

Message 178 of 180
latest reply

Particularly true for small scale sellers but also everyday buyers, it's not a user friendly platform so many sellers and buyers have other options coming up quickly particularly in Europe, in this way e Bay  is going to become a only professional business Platform, If this is their strategy than the path is the right one if not than they better take some measures

Message 179 of 180
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 180 of 180
latest reply