cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return auto default to Fedex?

This is a new one for me. Why is Fedex been auto default for Returns when I original shipping method was USPS. Please help me change this.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Yes, thankfully ebay allows you to back up a step and choose to provide your own label or just issue the refund on the spot. I know some pages on ebay where they only give you one option to click submit and move forward while not allowing you to back up a screen to make a different choice so you're stuck.

Yes, it's a really fortunate coincidence that I had just set up my RMAs. I checked my records on returns days prior and see that I was auto-charged the USPS return label rate, not fedex.

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

Fedex probably shouldnt even be an option for less than 1 lb.

Only have it compete with priority and if seller has on auto accept make sure the label used is the cheapest price.

Automatic 10 dollar fedex labels on light first class returns is devastating and I'll be turning on RMA if this happens.

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

Automatic 10 dollar fedex labels on light first class returns is devastating and I'll be turning on RMA if this happens.

Well that’s the thing. Those of us with auto accept and without RMAs who are already experiencing this only found out the hard way. eBay never notified any of us about it and so far as it stands, they aren’t planning to. So you’ll likely find out the hard way as well after losing out on a few (hopefully just a few) $10+ fedex labels unless you turn on your RMAs now.

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

Good feedback in the 2 posts above this one kyle@ebay.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 34 of 50
latest reply

Another thought kyle@ebay - what about sellers whose return address is a PO Box? If the label defaults to FedEx or if the buyer on a remorse return is given the option of FedEx, that seller may not be able to receive the package unless it's traveling FedEx SmartPost, delivered by USPS in the end.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 35 of 50
latest reply

Another scenario that could cause problems.

Thanks for sharing that.

Please eBay compile these issues and make sure the code Recognizes these scenarios because this could hurt some good sellers who try and provide good customer service with Automatic labels.

Hate not to get the return I paid a label for and still have to provide full refund.

Maybe for all automatic labels, if the system flags a fedex label it doesn't automatically approve but goes to review of an option you found and provide the prices side by side with a selection option.

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

Hey @wastingtime101@dqdistribution , @iamalwaysright those are very valid points!  Items under  1 lb or shipping to a P.O. box are not good candidates for FedEx labels.  This is excellent feedback we can keep passing along.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 37 of 50
latest reply

A lot of product is shipped in USPS Priority packaging. Assuming buyer reuses original packaging, will FedEx reject those packages if the buyer gets a FedEx return label? kyle@ebay 

GLORIOUS!

Message 38 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

A lot of product is shipped in USPS Priority packaging. Assuming buyer reuses original packaging, will FedEx reject those packages if the buyer gets a FedEx return label? kyle@ebay 

Hey @wastingtime101 I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence over the years going both ways on this subject.  I'd say the best thing to do in this scenario is check with your local FedEx location to see if there is any official rule for or against using other brand-specific packaging.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 39 of 50
latest reply

@dqdistribution wrote:

Fedex probably shouldnt even be an option for less than 1 lb.

Only have it compete with priority and if seller has on auto accept make sure the label used is the cheapest price.

I see no reason whatsoever for waiting to see if it happens:)

Just a few "free" clicks now will stop that from happening.

Message 40 of 50
latest reply

That's kind of what I was getting at kyle@ebay. Across multiple FedEx spots in 3 different states that I've been to, FedEx has always flat out rejected any packaging branded by another carrier, even with a return service label.

So if eBay auto-generates FedEx labels when the package I shipped to the buyer was in USPS Priority packaging, that will create an issue. Especially for fragile items when the buyer doesn't have an appropriately sized plain box or the right amount of packing materials to fill a differently-sized box.

And as I mentioned upthread, I have major FedEx delivery issues in my area so I'd prefer to not have FedEx return labels be a default choice for my buyers on remorse returns.

GLORIOUS!

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

I was just reminded kyle@ebay of our recent discussion about eBay being an "embargoed shipper" to Hawaii and Alaska, meaning sellers cannot (should not be able to) purchase FedEx Ground labels to those locations because FedEx will reject and return to sender. That's going to have to be factored in for any return label headed to Hawaii or Alaska.

GLORIOUS!

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

Also US territories, Kyle. Would be difficult for people located in US territories to ship or receive with FedEx so it doesn't matter if they're the buyer or the seller - USPS should be default for them.

GLORIOUS!

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Excellent point. We three are pretty much acting as your entire focus group on this issue. We hope that the development teams have already considered any or all of these problems and have resolutions in place.

Here’s another thought. There were times using the auto generated USPS return label that an undercharged label was given to the buyer. There’s no way for sellers to amend a label already provided to them. Some things I had to ship out Priority Mail because of weight ends up being returned with an eBay generated First Class label.

I rarely ever use fedex, but I’ve heard from sellers that they tend to undercharge on the initial price quote and end up charging the seller more afterwards. If this similar thing happens with a fedex return label, is fedex able to come back later on and charge us more than the already expensive initial label price quote? This can happen if I sold a buyer something rather lightweight, but they use their own large heavy box packaging to return it pushing it over to the next weight tier.

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

Hey @wastingtime101 those are great points too.  I would hope these were already taken into account, but I'll definitely be passing this along too, so that can ensure it wasn't missed.

Hey @iamalwaysright you're right, and you three have been a really great focus group!!

As for the undercharging and recoup charging later question, from what I understand, these labels will work the same as they do with the initial shipments.  If that is the case, clearly there are some major drawbacks, like you mentioned with the buyer using a heavier package and things of that nature.  I'll try to find out for sure either way, and let you folks know here if I can get a definitive answer.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 45 of 50
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: