cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return auto default to Fedex?

This is a new one for me. Why is Fedex been auto default for Returns when I original shipping method was USPS. Please help me change this.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Return auto default to Fedex?

@iamalwaysright wrote:

Here’s another thought. There were times using the auto generated USPS return label that an undercharged label was given to the buyer. There’s no way for sellers to amend a label already provided to them. Some things I had to ship out Priority Mail because of weight ends up being returned with an eBay generated First Class label.

A USPS "return service" label is different from a regular package. FC Return Service can be used for packages up to 70 lb. See last line on below screenshot.

returnlabel.jpg

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 46 of 50
latest reply

kyle@ebay wrote:

As for the undercharging and recoup charging later question, from what I understand, these labels will work the same as they do with the initial shipments.  If that is the case, clearly there are some major drawbacks, like you mentioned with the buyer using a heavier package and things of that nature.  I'll try to find out for sure either way, and let you folks know here if I can get a definitive answer.  

Holy cow, I hope that's not how it's going to work kyle@ebay because that would be a disaster!

The way USPS return service labels work is any over/under charge is handled between USPS and eBay. Sellers and buyers will never pay more for return labels than the cost shown at the time the label is confirmed.

FedEx labels should work the same. Can you imagine buyer didn't save the original box - or can't use the original box because it was USPS Priority - so they grab one of those ridiculously oversized boxes from their recent Amazon/Target/Walmart shipment and the seller gets hit with a massive dimensional weight charge? Or on a remorse return when buyer pays return shipping, they get hit with that charge? No way that's gonna fly. And if FedEx is default/forced as in examples provided upthread? Can't even wrap my brain around the potential financial impact here.

Please do what you can to push a definitive answer on this. Thanks, Kyle.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 47 of 50
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

I rarely ever use fedex, but I’ve heard from sellers that they tend to undercharge on the initial price quote and end up charging the seller more afterwards. If this similar thing happens with a fedex return label, is fedex able to come back later on and charge us more than the already expensive initial label price quote? This can happen if I sold a buyer something rather lightweight, but they use their own large heavy box packaging to return it pushing it over to the next weight tier.

When somebody else asked me that question last week through messages I completely dismissed it, saying eBay would never set up return labels where a higher fee could be charged after the fact. Not for returns. I couldn't fathom eBay would even consider doing that since so many return labels are purchased by buyers. 🤦

Say it isn't so, eBay. That would be such a massively bad system.

GLORIOUS!

Message 48 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

A USPS "return service" label is different from a regular package. FC Return Service can be used for packages up to 70 lb. See last line on below screenshot.

OT, is that also true when making a return label through Pirateship? Hopefully but I doubt it.

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

No, different type of system/contract @iamalwaysright.

GLORIOUS!

Message 50 of 50
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: