cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return auto default to Fedex?

This is a new one for me. Why is Fedex been auto default for Returns when I original shipping method was USPS. Please help me change this.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

All 3 of mine were true fedex ground labels. not smart post. This is turning into a huge headache. 

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Yeah, that's even more problematic. FedEx Ground would pose serious delivery issues for me if buyers chose that on remorse returns.

Out of my last 10 FedEx deliveries:

- 2 made it to me without issue

- 2 were delivered by the FedEx driver into the bin with outgoing USPS packages (those white bins covered with USPS markings) so USPS took the bin and eventually got those FedEx packages back to me 3 days later

- 2 made it to a neighbor down the block that was on vacation for 3 weeks so we didn't find packages until they returned

- 1 was delivered to a different neighbor on the other end of the block that got us the package 2 days later

- 3 packages disappeared into the ether

- 1 was from a big box store that refunded

- 2 were from a small sellers so I ate the loss

And of course every package had a delivery scan.

FedEx CS is non-existent. They won't even get in touch with driver, check GPS delivery coordinates or put you in touch with local FedEx office.

I could write an entire book about my problems with FedEx from the last year alone.

Then @redstarrobot_vintage_toys there's the issue that you know is inevitable: Buyer starts remorse return process and sees FedEx return ship cost on a 4 oz lightweight inexpensive item and the label exceeds the cost of the item. Instead of realizing they have a choice to use USPS for a few bucks, they change the return reason to SNAD.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 50
latest reply

Exactly! and great points. FEDEX has so many issues I can't even imagine what this nightmare is going to turn into for many sellers. 

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

I also turned off automatic returns approved for specific issues. Lets see now what will happen. 

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

If you have a chance on your next return Red Star Robot, could you take a screenshot of that page (black out name/address/etc if showing)?

Interested to see what it looks like. Does it list FedEx and USPS with radio buttons so you see both costs clearly, upfront in a list (the way Amazon presents return options)? Or does it show FedEx in a drop-down where USPS is hidden unless you click the down arrow to see other options?

If it's the former that wouldn't be as bad because the choice is more clear to buyers (and sellers) that there are different priced options.

If it's the latter where USPS is hidden in a dropdown, that's bad.

And I hope Kyle is monitoring this discussion to pass on our continued FB so I don't have to be a pain in his ass and keep tagging him. 😁

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 20 of 50
latest reply

All were hidden. 2 were automatically approved and the 1 I had to approve -Just the basic button to purchase label for your buyer and thats it. Ridiculous 

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

But if I get another return I will be sure to SS everything for everyone to see. 

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

kyle@ebay wrote:

@dqdistribution wrote:

So if I have automatic returns on there is a chance eBay might automatically issue a fedex return label?

Hey @dqdistribution that is correct.  It's ramping up slowly right now though, so you likely won't see too many for awhile.  

Ouch! Wonder what that will cost on a 4 oz package that would normally ship USPS for a whole lot less. I feel the need to reinforce my original feedback kyle@ebay :

1. Sellers need to be alerted as this can have a big financial impact. They should not be switched over without so much as an email heads up. Suggest eBay starts sending out emails 2 weeks in advance of changing over an account like they did for EIS.

2. On the shipping preferences page, give sellers the opportunity to select either FedEx or USPS within each of their return rules, and if no rule is set up by the seller then USPS should remain the default (if that default option doesn't violate the contract between eBay and FedEx).

Hey @wastingtime101 that's still some great feedback, and we'll continue to pass it along!  

@dqdistribution on the subject of cost differential, I believe the intent is to default to whichever is the cheaper of the two options, while still allowing a seller to choose whichever suits them best in that particular scenario.  I haven't been able to verify this at this point, but I'll definitely follow up when I get confirmation.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

And I hope Kyle is monitoring this discussion to pass on our continued FB so I don't have to be a pain in his ass and keep tagging him. 😁

Hey @wastingtime101 I'd actually very much prefer if you do keep tagging me whenever needed.  We try to monitor threads, especially ones like this where there is so much valuable insight and feedback.  But having that notification still helps a ton too!  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@redstarrobot_vintage_toys wrote:

All 3 of mine were true fedex ground labels. not smart post. This is turning into a huge headache. 

What do you all 3 of yours? Did you already have 3 of these returns with fedex return labels? Ouch. I hope it wasn't that much of a price difference from USPS for you on those.

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Then @redstarrobot_vintage_toys there's the issue that you know is inevitable: Buyer starts remorse return process and sees FedEx return ship cost on a 4 oz lightweight inexpensive item and the label exceeds the cost of the item. Instead of realizing they have a choice to use USPS for a few bucks, they change the return reason to SNAD.

Sorry to come in late in the game here. I was MIA in the boards for a bit but I was also hit twice last week with this "... you likely won't see too many for awhile." issue that kyle@ebay  mentioned. @wastingtime101  Here's some screenshots you wanted.

The first return I noticed was filed on 5/15. Unfortunately I don't have shots of that one since I already processed the refund. But I coincidentally had just previously gotten rid of my auto accept returns and saw the crazy Fedex return label charge of about $12.80+ for an item that I shipped out for $4.44. I called ebay and asked the rep for clarification of this. She basically said that buyer's are now allowed to choose fedex as a carrier for returns and my buyer chose that. She didn't say anything else about the new program. I obviously uploaded the $4.44 label and dodged an $8+ loss bullet.

The second one was just filed 5/21. Basically it's the same type of item as the first return, but postage is cheaper because it's a much closer zone.

fedex.jpgfedex3.jpg

This one has a price of $10.50 fedex and a $4.15 USPS. Please note the refund request amount shown in that page is $12.15. Sellers of smaller items would get murdered using auto-accept returns. kyle@ebay  I (the seller) have no choice in carrier for return labels let alone a default to the cheapest option. USPS is non-existent in that first screenshot. Which Fedex shipping service used is also not displayed in that page.

Here is where I refer you to the quote from wastingtime I pasted up top. I already suspect it's starting to happen. Here is the return details page of that SNAD defective return.

fedex2.jpg

The only comment the buyer entered was "Defective" on his return. This raises a flag with me as many of my returns received tend to be a bit more descriptive than that. I blocked out everything in red, that black square is the actual photo the buyer uploaded. I suspect he was required to upload a photo in order to file a SNAD and that is what he provided. I talked to ebay CS to confirm that the black photo was the actual photo and there hadn't been any glitch that prevented my account from seeing the original photo the buyer provided. Rep confirmed that the black photo was also what she was seeing from her end too. She suggested I reach out to the buyer to ask for more details of what was actually defective. I did that asking for clarification because perhaps the buyer didn't intend to upload a black image. The buyer simply replied "I'll be returning it, send label please." All these occurrences leads me to believe that the buyer can quite possibly be doing what wastingtime said and gaming the system.

The way it stands now, we sellers can all expect to receive yet more false SNAD returns.

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

Hey @iamalwaysright thanks for providing this info.  I am glad to pass along this experience and your screenshots to the appropriate teams so that we can continue to correct and improve the return label experience.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 27 of 50
latest reply

I sell a LOT of lightweight smaller stuff that goes FCP via USPS.

No way can I afford the hit of paying for a FEDEX label for a return of those items.

Guess I'll go to RMA required.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 28 of 50
latest reply

Which could be circumvented by CSR actually being able to check the photo and not allow the return to continue further with photos like that or photos that in no way are relevant to the actual item.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that @iamalwaysright - very helpful. On this new one, instead of hitting the blue "confirm label" button, were you able to back out of that screen and choose the option within the return to upload your own label?

Glad we got you set up with RMAs recently - happy timing that it was just before this FedEx switch. The loss on just a couple of these FedEx labels would have had too much of an impact.

GLORIOUS!

Message 30 of 50
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: