cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Happy October! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Community Chat, October 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

How does the new Unpaid Item process go?

Does eBay automatically close it after 96 hours of nonpayment?

What about sellers who previously had the Unpaid Item Assistant set to, say, 7 days?

The Help page says “ If you don't close them within 36 days, we'll close them for you, but you won't be eligible for a final value fee credit…”

What final value fees are there if no payment has been received?

So that paragraph says 36 days. Further down on the same page it says “It's important to cancel any unpaid items within 30 days from the day the buyer commits to buy …”

This new process is much better than the previous one, but it is not very clear. Even some of our most experienced Mentors don’t post the same advise. That tells me it’s not clear, because, well, I think of them as the leaders of the rest of us (and I am grateful for each and everyone of them). 🙏🏻 ☮️ 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 46 of 76
latest reply

I ask this, hoping for an answer other than "it will be announced".....could we get an ETA on the store changes that were promised in the Fall Update and described as coming "shortly" in the last Seller Check In? Even just a rough estimate like : "by Columbus Day" or "before Thanksgiving"....

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 47 of 76
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

For me, I can now see the FB of others.  It wasn't limited to just the forums, it was also in the rest of Ebay too or at least that was my experience.  It now appears to be fixed again.

@mam98031 - this is what makes it so insidious, the intermittent nature of this bug is maddening. All links and profile photos are gone for me from the Community site as of this morning. But yesterday they were fine, and tomorrow they may be back for me. 

It's really frustrating, but I'm glad they're back for you, and I hope they stay a good long time!

Do you still want reports.......per Shelia's request?  Seems ya'll can see it, so not sure why they can't?

Yes please @dhbookds - our only recourse at this point is to document as many folks being impacted as possible, which will hopefully help Khoros isolate root cause. 

Has anyone given the links to  Khoros that  Eburton has posted several times..........that they are the ones that aren't working?

Hi @dhbookds - yes, I'm fairly certain they've been added to the ticket (and thanks to @eburtonlab for consistently doing so much heavy lifting!). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 48 of 76
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

RE: New Promoted Program

I don’t do community posts complaining about slow sales bc I know online selling is not what it use to be and sales will go thru phases and generally, sellers get what they put in (hopefully).

BUT, as of about Sept 20, this has drastically changed for me and lots of other sellers according to recent posts. This ‘slow sales’ complaint is very different than the numerous whining posts we’ve encountered over the years. It’s as if our selling accounts no longer exist.

I averaged about 1 sale a day over the last few years, with some upswing during the Christmas shopping season. But not any more.

This phenomena happens to be horizontal to the timeline of the new Promoted Listings Advanced (PLA) BETA eBay has rolled out.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Promoted-Listings-Advanced-BETA-for-business...  

It’s like: If we don’t sign into this program, our listings will no longer be made as visible as b4, regardless of using the ‘regular’ promoted listings (which all 600+ of my listings have)

Thank you, 

Dev

Hey @stuff4divas please know your sales are not impacted negatively if you don't use PL or PLA. That can help showcase an item but if a buyer is looking for your item they will still find it. I'm happy to get eyes on it for sure, and if I get more info to share from them I will let you know! 

jasmen@ebay  -  has there been any deep digging into what impact if any may be coming from the automated click filters?

I understand from eBay's perspective that PLS shouldn't be causing some of these issues people are reporting, and maybe they aren't directly, but I'm wondering if it is possible the changes to how clicks are being counted could be having a wider impact?

Great point @valueaddedresource 

It just seems too great to be a coincidence and coming from so many sellers

Message 49 of 76
latest reply

@savannah3 wrote:

SR# 1-379775585606

Long time follower but first time posting.

I have been with eBay for over 23 years and been very happy with sales with nearly a 100% sales rate.

But a few months ago, I got caught by the eBay system and lost my Top Rated Seller status due to too many sales without tracking uploaded. I immediately contacted customer service requesting them to look closer at my records and they would see that the sales without tracking uploaded were all local pickups.

I thought I got their attention and would get some further consideration. But no response. One CSR said they did not have the option to remove such defects. But the defect was issued by eBay in error.

And options in seller hub do not exist to record an item as picked up so that it overrides the need for tracking. A few years back eBay advised me to send buyers wanting pickup a new invoice that deletes the shipping options leaving only the local pickup options.  Also, that I should add a note to the order that the buyer picked up the item and the date.

I am aware that if an item is paid for by the buyer through eBay, that an option does exist to mark an item as picked up. But the vast majority of my customer prefer to pay upon pick up as allowed by eBay.

I know you are very limited in your dealings with Customer Service but their failure to respond is highly disappointing. Below is the last meaningful message dated 9/12/21 from Customer Service.

“RE: update about your defect SR# 1-379775585606

Hello Glenn,

Thank you for writing back to eBay regarding your tracking report.  I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Top Rated status despite listing the item as pick up only. I fully understand your point that no tracking needs to be uploaded since items are for pick up. Rest assured that I am more than willing to help you with this matter.

I can certainly understand how inconvenience this matter has caused you and I do apologise if this is causing you confusion. First of all, we would like to extend our gratitude for choosing us as your On-line marketplace and for being part of eBay community.

Glenn, I personally believe that this shouldn't be counted under tracking not uploaded since items have been picked up and I know that you wanted the records to be corrected however, please understand that for tracking uploaded on time and validated, we don't have an option to remove individual defects as the defects we can only removed are defects for cancelled transactions and cases closed without seller resolution but if we can see that it's the only requirement that was not met to be a Top Rated Seller and the defect should not be counted, we are overriding the seller status of the member. No worries as I will have this escalated for a review for possible adjustment and this will reflect on the next evaluation once reviewed and confirmed that the transactions shouldn't be recorded as tracking not uploaded.

I'd appreciate your understanding and patience on this. I can guarantee you that I have fully documented this.

I trust that I've set your mind at ease because as always, our goal is to ensure you have the best online trading experience on eBay.

Kind regards,

Maria

eBay Trust and Safety”

My follow up of 9/28/21 has not been answered.

My hope is that Customer Service does the right thing and corrects their error. Local pickups do not require tracking.

Also, I would hope that eBay would correct the system to allow all items to be marked as picked up.

Hi @savannah3! I'm sorry for any confusion with how local pickup affects shipping metrics. I'd be happy to clarify this for you now though, so you can better prepare going forward.

When a listing is originally set up with a normal shipping service (like USPS), it's locked in as if it's a regular shipping listing, even if you add local pickup as an additional option. If you're adding it onto the invoice after the buyer has committed to buy, it will count against your tracking percentages; regardless of whether the buyer chooses local pickup or regular shipping. If you want to offer local pickup and not have it affect your shipping metrics, then you only want to offer local pickup in your listings.

We know things will come up, and it's why we don't expect perfection from our sellers. If you're finding that you get enough requests for local pickup that you've lost your Top Rated status because of it, then you may want to reconsider the shipping options you're offering in your listings. I hope that makes sense and helps!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 50 of 76
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:
It's been awhile, but doesn't ebay send messages to buyers letting them know that a seller wants to cancel a transaction with them which includes the reason?

It would say something like: "If you agree to this, click here"

I seem to remember something like that in the past, yes. I was royally miffed a month or two back when a seller cancelled on me, and the reason that came along with the notification was something to the effect of, "Here's the cancellation you requested!" I saw no means of disputing that; I think it even came from one of those do-not-respond return addresses that will \dev\null any replies sent back.

Message 51 of 76
latest reply

All these useless changes on the last update YET still no combine shipping on ebay's app, lost a couple hundreds in sales last month.

Message 52 of 76
latest reply

Time for the chat is running out, so I wanted to get this posted, so I haven't read the remainder of the posts.

I don't rely on messages from ebay.  In fact I have tried to disable receiving as many different messages as I can in Communication preferences.    Instead, I go to   Seller Hub > Orders > Awaiting payment    as well as

Seller Hub > Orders > Awaiting shipment           to see the status of orders that have been purchased.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 53 of 76
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:
Hi @a_c_green - sheila@ebay has a regular meeting cadence with Khoros to discuss issues and has been to additional one-offs on the topic of this bug. I don't have any other update past that I'm afraid.  

Sounds good! Please ask sheila@ebay if she can post the latest news on this problem here, as it's only getting worse in severity.

If she can tell us when to expect news from the next scheduled meeting on this, that will be great, too. In other words, we really need to see the wheels turning. Thanks!

-----

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

Message 54 of 76
latest reply

Apologies tyler@ebay for not greeting you on my other posts, but Greetings!! and I hope you've been well!

There was a post today where a seller said they got scammed from a buyer who altered the return shipping label  address to have the package sent to him, the buyer, instead of to the the seller, and therefore showing as 'delivered' (but to the buyer) >

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NEW-BUYER-RETURN-SCAM-Ebay-Knows-About-I-Got-Burned-Once/m-p/3...

Is this possible to do with a shipping label? If so, SCARY!!

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 55 of 76
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

Why does the Purchase History -> Order details -> Printer friendly page show ALL the listings but the

Seller History -> Order details -> Printer friendly page -> Print page only show the first 11 listings?

How can I print ALL my purchase on a combined order of more than 11 items?  I am using Chrome on a Desktop computer.  Can this "glitch" be reported to eBay as a technical error?

@somanypostcards I'm sorry if you didn't see my reply to this question here. I will be filing a ticket with our tech team though and I provided a workaround for you in the meantime. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 56 of 76
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

For me, I can now see the FB of others.  It wasn't limited to just the forums, it was also in the rest of Ebay too or at least that was my experience.  It now appears to be fixed again.

@mam98031 - this is what makes it so insidious, the intermittent nature of this bug is maddening. All links and profile photos are gone for me from the Community site as of this morning. But yesterday they were fine, and tomorrow they may be back for me. 

It's really frustrating, but I'm glad they're back for you, and I hope they stay a good long time!

Do you still want reports.......per Shelia's request?  Seems ya'll can see it, so not sure why they can't?

Yes please @dhbookds - our only recourse at this point is to document as many folks being impacted as possible, which will hopefully help Khoros isolate root cause. 

Has anyone given the links to  Khoros that  Eburton has posted several times..........that they are the ones that aren't working?

Hi @dhbookds - yes, I'm fairly certain they've been added to the ticket (and thanks to @eburtonlab for consistently doing so much heavy lifting!). 

Yes, thanks to him........  but I don't understand why you need specific reports "from enough People".....does that mean they won't/aren't  able to fix it unless they have 100.....200......300 reports from every state? 

I mean, if they have the non working links (that work sometimes), why can't they just test them every hr/20 min whatever........and then go from there.......  It just sounds like the other brouhaha....and if you want me to confront one of them to convince him he CAN fix it.........let me know.........getting pretty fed up, if you can't tell.

Message 57 of 76
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Do we have any ETA at all on when the being unable to view feedback  will be fixed?

It's making answering questions difficult for mentors.  

Hi @soh.maryl - no, we don't have an ETA on this, but we are continuing to work with Khoros on what is going on and when it will be fixed. 

tyler@ebay ,

You're probably already aware that the URLs for the feedback profile page was changed on eBay Core recently, and they didn't get all the links updated on all the pages at the same time. They appear to have made changes to other profile pages as well, possibly including the avatar links. Redirects sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

It seems likely that this would have contributed to the issues with displaying avatars, and feedback pages in the community. The redirects could be contributing to the intermittent nature. Has this been checked and ruled out?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 58 of 76
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote:

Good afternoon. 

The post by @savannah3 reminded me of a question I had about local pick up.  I was wondering if a buyer pays cash at pick up, is the final value fee adjusted because eBay is NOT processing any funds?  Is the seller's final value fee now less the money processing  portion? 

Hey @ittybitnot the processing fees are only billed when they send the payment through our system, the final value fee is separate and charged when the buyer commits to buy the item. 

How do they [Ebay] do this.  The Money Processing fee is NOT separate.  It is a Simplified Fee in MP which includes the FVF for the sale and the money processing fee in one.

So how do they separate them and what are the amounts of the two fees?

A link to the policy would be very helpful.

jasmen@ebay 

The thread is about to close for the day.  May we please get a response.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 59 of 76
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@friskya wrote:

I understand that the sellers don't have to honor a sale cancellation, but it seems that many sellers are using it as a catch-all for cancelling sales (auctions) where they didn't get the price they hoped for and where the buyer did not, in fact, request the cancellation.

This is not quite the same thing, but along those same lines:

Speaking as a buyer, I would appreciate some easy way of disputing a seller's claim that I supposedly requested a cancel, in instances where I did no such thing. If the seller claims that a cancel was requested but there is no communication on record from buyer to seller, the buyer should be asked for confirmation.

It's been awhile, but doesn't ebay send messages to buyers letting them know that a seller wants to cancel a transaction with them which includes the reason?

It would say something like: "If you agree to this, click here"

Last time I was the victim of seller cancelling per buyer's request, I never got any such message.

Message 60 of 76
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: