cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 21 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Community Chat, October 21 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Some years back, I was terribly disappointed to hear that ebay had basically done away with the Stores Team, and since then, Stores have been largely ignored by ebay, to the detriment of ebay and sellers. Now I'm hearing that ebay is finally realizing the value of stores. However, I still have not been able to find a store on the ebay App (I'm using Android). I can find a list of a seller's items, but not a seller's store. I thought an ebay exec had said a while ago that stores were now in the App. Am I not looking in the right place? Or are stores still not in the App? If they aren't, is there any timeline for their appearance? And by the way I did see Bradford Shellhammer's mock ups of what stores in the App might eventually look like, but did I understand him correctly, we won't see these designs (or similar) until next year some time? (For the mock-ups, go here at about 30:00: Holiday marketing and customer support | October Seller Check-In Webinar

Holiday marketing and customer support | October Seller Check-In Webinar

I'm happy to see the mock-ups include things I've mentioned in the past: video ability, links to our Social Media pages, etc.....so I think the new Stores team is headed in the right direction. (Finally). Maybe you could have the team drop by here at some point?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 16 of 66
latest reply

On my invoice this month I have 2 "eBay Debits".

It lists the tracking numbers and the item numbers, and says "Orig cost refunded".

What are they for?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 17 of 66
latest reply

I wished eBay would work on the Jewelry Section.

• When purchasing Jewelry many times the color Gold and Silver that are only gold-toned say just gold. It works the same with Silver. Most of the time it is gold filled or plated. This decit 

•  Many different stones that are Identified by color show up in search as the actual stone when in fact they are only colored the particular color. For example Ruby is identified as a color and not a stone  it shows up as a genuine stone. 

• Many simulated stones are listed as an authentic stone Instead of cut glass or Faceted glass ( crystal) are plastic.
  • All jewelry should be listed on whether it is hypoallergenic. 

• Many things listed as cloisonné are just painted. 

• Some items that are new are listed as antiques or Old when they are in fact “New.”
  • Multiple listings that have a cheap leader of .99 with an odd or very cheap item and on most multiple listings the .99 shows up as the price. Some listing will show the low and the high price. Example .99-3.99.

As a buyer it gets harder and harder sorting  out what I am looking for. I think jewelry is #1 in listing errors and switch and bait. 

Is it possible for eBay to do this? Putting hypo-allergenic would open Sales for most Buyers. Thank You for listening and replying.

----

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

Message 18 of 66
latest reply

brian@ebay ....

So officially... is it okay to Snipe on the Community Boards again...?  
Just asking so Board Mods don't move topics or posts or penalize those that play the game...

cheshire 2.jpg

Edit: Reply to this post an be read here

Message 19 of 66
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Some weeks ago a buyer filed a dispute with their credit card company (not with ebay), claiming they had not received their item. In Managed Payments, the entry for the buyers payment was placed on "Hold" and a dispute number given. ebay asked me to provide proof of delivery (USPS) and I did so. A couple days ago, the Managed Payments entry went from "Hold" to "released", which I assume means ebay has put the money back into MPs. Which is great. What confuses me is this: when I go to the page with the actual dispute information, it still indicates "Payment institution reviewing" rather than "outcome decided"  If this is still under review, why did ebay release the payment to me? On the other hand, if the dispute has been decided, why doesn't it show that?

It is likely the guys won't comment on this one because it is MP.  If you don't mind I might be able to help.  This is how PP handled these types of issues too.  You were covered under Seller Protection, so you are free and clear of this issue as is your money.  But the CCC and MP have not yet resolved the issue which is why you still see it. 

You were covered but that does not mean that the CCC has to agree with MP's findings.  But now it is between MP and the CCC because you are covered.  And that is how it should be.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 66
latest reply

@mybargaincomics wrote:

Hello,

Two questions:

1) We noticed that only "Select Partners" are allowed access to the Listing API. We're currently using the Trading API, but this is older and doesn't allow for Draft Listings (which is something very important to us). -- Can you tell us any information or tips on becoming a "Select Partner"?

2) If we upgrade to an Enterprise Store, would that dedicated support include the ability to contact a Category Manager? Sorry to be annoying about this, but we really, really like eBay! We understand the Category Managers have finite time and may not have a management edict to engage with sellers, but are they ever allowed out for just limited periods of time to talk with all levels of seller? 😉

Thank you

Hi @mybargaincomics - the eBay Developer Forum (link here) is its own world, and not one I have access to or insight into, apologies! I know that with most APIs that are limited the reason is because it is newer and part of a planned 'ramp' to everyone (they want to avoid overwhelm). You may have better luck posting directly there. 

An Enterprise store has a range of benefits (details here) but direct access to a category manager isn't one of them. I know that you're excited to build your business on eBay and as you become closer to achieving your goal of being the largest comic book seller on the site I'm certain they will take notice and make sure to give you an outreach. But that's not something I can promise you. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 66
latest reply

The link with the store mock ups, should have been in my last post:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOXO9z4XuE&t=1706s 

Message 22 of 66
latest reply

@renegade-chance wrote:

brian_burke@ebay 

Is it okay to mention eBay Seller School and ask if any sellers want to join, Brian...?

By the by... were you able to get any info from the Legal Dept. and other areas regarding the info Korine P. sent you via email regarding the UV wand/detector...?

@charmedcreationsandmore 

What is this?  Details please!

@renegade-chance 

Message 23 of 66
latest reply

One thing I like about Promoted Listings is that, as a TRS, I get a $30 quarterly credit applied against PL fees. In other words, my first $30 worth of PL fees in any quarter are basically free. I just read the transcript of this week's ebay for business podcast, and, if I'm reading this correctly, Q4, 2020, will be the last quarter to offer the TRS PL credit? Starting next year, no TRS PL credit? Is that right? Here's the text of the Transcript:

"The other thing to remember too, is if you're a Top Rated Seller, you can actually try Promoted Listings for nothing. So you can get for this quarter, you could get a $30 credit to use to, to try them and get the effect and get the benefit. The second thing is you'll get increased access to different types of premium placements across the site for your listing. So it's not just on search results page. That's obviously a really key place, an important place to be. But it's also in the merch strips on view item and a whole host of other places all over the site. And it's really, really, really easy. I know that sounds like, okay, how easy could it really be? But it really is quite easy. You just need to decide what you want to promote, how much you want to promote it for. And then we kind of take over from there.

So promotions for promoted listings or PL are these temporary, or are these ongoing?

This is going to end. This is just for Q4. So make sure if you want to take advantage of it, do it now. "

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  - this would be very upsetting if true, especially since many of us caught the "Promoted Listings credit removal" in the Fall update and when we asked about it, we were told that was "a mistake".

Very disappointing and disingenuous if the real answer is going to be that it will be true after Q4, not just "a mistake" as we were told.  I guess the mistake was just letting the cat out of the bag early? 🙄

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Listing-Promoting-Items/Promoted-Listings-Credit-Removal-2020-Fall-Sel...

Message 24 of 66
latest reply

Will eBay management be endorsing USPS back to good standing after the election ballots are all mailed in and service improves, after stating FedEx and UPS are better option currently?

----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 25 of 66
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  eBay’s Label Flow

It may be time to post a “flash flood” warning on eBay’s label “flow” as problems and issues keep piling up.  This week I noticed numerous threads on Priority Mail being selected by eBay when Buyers actually purchased other services like Media Mail, First Class, Parcel Select.  It has happened to me too.

For myself it is not a big issue considering that for most items over 1 lbs I offer BOTH Parcel Select and Priority Mail – Buyers usually pick Parcel Select but I use my discount and upgrade to Priority Mail.  But for other Sellers who don’t do that or where other services were selected it is indeed another glitch that needs to be fixed.

In the pic below arrows 1 & 2 show the Buyer selected service and arrow 3 shows Priority Mail selected by eBay.  Arrow 4 is just a REMINDER about the dimensions being in the wrong order as reported - what 6 weeks ago? And I guess while we are on it the 2nd pic shows the Bulk Label flow still having those pesky little up and down arrows hiding part of 2 digit dimensions - as this been addressed as well?  Plus, WHY are there two label flows?  One for a single item and one for bulk label printing??????

I know you have said on more than one occasion that these issues have been passed on to the department that handles them - but the fact remains they are not being handled …

Screenshot (2264).png

Screenshot (2241).png

@mr_lincoln this appears to be the topic of todays weekly chat 😉 Both of these issues have been reported and our tech team is aware. Thank you for these screenshots! Our tech teams love examples and screenshots so I'll get these added to the ticket 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 27 of 66
latest reply

Details on which, Mam?

Message 28 of 66
latest reply

mam,

https://sellerschool.ebay.com/

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Thank you.

Message 29 of 66
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

tyler@ebay 

I have been seeing a lot of complaints about the shipping label not defaulting to the buyer selected method as it should. 

I experienced this today too.  

I would like to know if this is a glitch and if so then can eBay PLEASE post that it is a known glitch on the seller's announcements board.   OR if this is on purpose then post a notice about it too so that sellers are not caught off guard.  

First-class shipping was the only shipping method offered on this listing

ship 4.PNG

Hi @comics-scifi-collectibles - sorry we haven't gotten to your other tag on this subject yet! This is definitely a technical issue that has been reported internally (I've added you to the open ticket). I'm not privy to the decision whether or not to update via an Announcement Board post has been made, but I will absolutely make sure that the comments and sentiment shared here and other places on the board are sent to the team in charge of making that call. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 66
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: