cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 21 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Community Chat, October 21 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Last couple of days when I buy labels, the default is set to priority mail, instead of the buyer selected first class package.

Very annoying. Almost clicked purchase a few times before noticing.

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 2 of 66
latest reply

Hello,

Two questions:

1) We noticed that only "Select Partners" are allowed access to the Listing API. We're currently using the Trading API, but this is older and doesn't allow for Draft Listings (which is something very important to us). -- Can you tell us any information or tips on becoming a "Select Partner"?

2) If we upgrade to an Enterprise Store, would that dedicated support include the ability to contact a Category Manager? Sorry to be annoying about this, but we really, really like eBay! We understand the Category Managers have finite time and may not have a management edict to engage with sellers, but are they ever allowed out for just limited periods of time to talk with all levels of seller? 😉

Thank you

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 3 of 66
latest reply

Hello all!

It's fair to say that the current Shipping form is slowly going completely bonkers. In addition to the unaddressed problems with package dimensions getting loaded into the wrong variables:

Incorrect_Dimensions.jpg

...it is now (as of a couple of days ago) setting the default Shipping method to the wrong choice, selecting Priority Mail when the buyer's choice was First Class Package:

Incorrect_Priority.jpg

...and selecting FedEx Overnight, of all things, when the buyer's choice was Priority:

Incorrect_FedEx.jpg

I had heard of this happening occasionally in the past, but had not seen it happening myself. Now it seems to be completely locked in as a malfunction that occurs every time.

I'm pretty sure that this has been reported in the past, so reporting it again today will simply make the rubble bounce. I would like to ask different questions instead, ones that have been kind of sidestepped in the past, but I think it's important to get them up front now:

1. Do you have actual two-way communication with the people responsible for getting these problems fixed? Video conferencing or other regularly scheduled meetings, for example?

2. Why is it taking so long to fix? We're talking months here.

3. Who is testing this code before it is released? If the new code really is being tested, how or why did it get released in this state? (For the record, the recently-revised Blocked Bidder List and Buyer Requirements Exemption List pages are still unrepaired as well.)

It's possible to reach eBay management through their LinkedIn pages, and programmers through such sites as StackOverflow, but it should not be necessary to go outside normal channels just to get feedback on important code fixes. I mean, really, this is basic stuff. How can we expedite the process of getting obvious coding errors fixed?

------

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 4 of 66
latest reply

Hello,

These are some questions I had, primarily for the eBay US Labels team.

1. What happened to the "FREE Co-branded eBay and USPS Priority Mail Shipping Boxes"?

Site: http://uspssupplies.ebay.com/uspsweb/catalog

The site seems to have gone offline after March 2020 with no signs of returning.

Mentioned here and here: https://pages.ebay.com/USPS/preparingitems-flatrate.html, https://faq.usps.com/s/article/eBay

2. Will eBay Labels be adding support for UPS Declared Value? UPS Carbon Neutral? UPS Store Label QR Code? Et. al.?

3. Has eBay discussed with UPS adding UPS SurePost (same service tier as FedEx SmartPost)?

Service: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/tracking-support/sp-definition.page

4. Will eBay Labels be adding support for USPS Priority Mail Express (PME) Flat Rate Padded Envelope(s)? The PayPal Labels platform has had this option for a while.

I only see the PME Legal Flat Rate Envelope (15″ x 9 1/2″) and PME Flat Rate Envelope (12 1/2″ x 9 1/2″) - which are generally meant for documents and manuscripts as opposed to the more commonly sold clothing, books, phones, and jewelry that only fit in the PME Padded Envelope - on the eBay Labels platform as of now.

Rate: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-express.htm#flatrate

Envelope Type: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-express-padded-flat-rate-envelo...

5. Will eBay be adding automatic partial fee reversals for partial refunds - including for shipping costs?

It would seem to be a waste of seller and customer service time to have to request a FVF credit with each partial refund manually, even if they are relatively rare.

Posting ID
Message 5 of 66
latest reply

When I go to print an ebay shipping label, ebay shows the buyer's chosen method as the default. At least, ebay HAD been showing that. NOW, ebay is showing a different choice as default. Is this a glitch? Is it intentional? If intentional, why on earth change the default to something the buyer did NOT choose? (In the labels I've seen with this change, ebay has defaulted to "Fast" rather than "Buyer Selected" or "Best Value"....)

Message 6 of 66
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Last couple of days when I buy labels, the default is set to priority mail, instead of the buyer selected first class package.

Very annoying. Almost clicked purchase a few times before noticing.

@carlqsportscards I saw another report of this today and over the last few weeks. I've reported it but am still collecting examples to add to that report. Feel free to tag me if you have screenshots showing the discrepancy and I'll send them over to the tech team. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 7 of 66
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I have been seeing a lot of complaints about the shipping label not defaulting to the buyer selected method as it should. 

I experienced this today too.  

I would like to know if this is a glitch and if so then can eBay PLEASE post that it is a known glitch on the seller's announcements board.   OR if this is on purpose then post a notice about it too so that sellers are not caught off guard.  

First-class shipping was the only shipping method offered on this listing

ship 4.PNG

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

Some weeks ago a buyer filed a dispute with their credit card company (not with ebay), claiming they had not received their item. In Managed Payments, the entry for the buyers payment was placed on "Hold" and a dispute number given. ebay asked me to provide proof of delivery (USPS) and I did so. A couple days ago, the Managed Payments entry went from "Hold" to "released", which I assume means ebay has put the money back into MPs. Which is great. What confuses me is this: when I go to the page with the actual dispute information, it still indicates "Payment institution reviewing" rather than "outcome decided"  If this is still under review, why did ebay release the payment to me? On the other hand, if the dispute has been decided, why doesn't it show that?

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 9 of 66
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  eBay’s Label Flow

It may be time to post a “flash flood” warning on eBay’s label “flow” as problems and issues keep piling up.  This week I noticed numerous threads on Priority Mail being selected by eBay when Buyers actually purchased other services like Media Mail, First Class, Parcel Select.  It has happened to me too.

For myself it is not a big issue considering that for most items over 1 lbs I offer BOTH Parcel Select and Priority Mail – Buyers usually pick Parcel Select but I use my discount and upgrade to Priority Mail.  But for other Sellers who don’t do that or where other services were selected it is indeed another glitch that needs to be fixed.

In the pic below arrows 1 & 2 show the Buyer selected service and arrow 3 shows Priority Mail selected by eBay.  Arrow 4 is just a REMINDER about the dimensions being in the wrong order as reported - what 6 weeks ago? And I guess while we are on it the 2nd pic shows the Bulk Label flow still having those pesky little up and down arrows hiding part of 2 digit dimensions - as this been addressed as well?  Plus, WHY are there two label flows?  One for a single item and one for bulk label printing??????

I know you have said on more than one occasion that these issues have been passed on to the department that handles them - but the fact remains they are not being handled …

Screenshot (2264).png

Screenshot (2241).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 66
latest reply

The "buyer Selected" icon has reared it's ugly head again on the label program.  I and others reported this months ago and it subsequently got removed.  Now it is back.  This time in just a bit of a different form.  Before what was labeled as "buyer selected" was the default carrier and service [even though buyer CAN'T select this] but now it is not the default method of shipment.

What defaults is usually the most expensive type of shipping method.

There are three carrier icons.  Fedex, UPS and USPS.  Now the logical mind might think that if you click on the USPS icon you will only see the shipping options for USPS, but Oh no that is not how that works.  You must select the TWO methods you do NOT want to see so that the ONE you want to see will display.

While the engineers may not and obviously do not see these as important issues as it has been reported for months, all it does is create extra work for sellers in creating a shipping label.  It has ZERO value and I don't know why they seem to not recognize this.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 66
latest reply

One thing I like about Promoted Listings is that, as a TRS, I get a $30 quarterly credit applied against PL fees. In other words, my first $30 worth of PL fees in any quarter are basically free. I just read the transcript of this week's ebay for business podcast, and, if I'm reading this correctly, Q4, 2020, will be the last quarter to offer the TRS PL credit? Starting next year, no TRS PL credit? Is that right? Here's the text of the Transcript:

"The other thing to remember too, is if you're a Top Rated Seller, you can actually try Promoted Listings for nothing. So you can get for this quarter, you could get a $30 credit to use to, to try them and get the effect and get the benefit. The second thing is you'll get increased access to different types of premium placements across the site for your listing. So it's not just on search results page. That's obviously a really key place, an important place to be. But it's also in the merch strips on view item and a whole host of other places all over the site. And it's really, really, really easy. I know that sounds like, okay, how easy could it really be? But it really is quite easy. You just need to decide what you want to promote, how much you want to promote it for. And then we kind of take over from there.

So promotions for promoted listings or PL are these temporary, or are these ongoing?

This is going to end. This is just for Q4. So make sure if you want to take advantage of it, do it now. "

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 12 of 66
latest reply

Some sellers on a thread or two have been saying that they have received their TRS discount on international sales when they are not a Global TRS.  Has the structure of how the TRS discounts are applied changed?  If so when and what changed?  

My understanding is that the TRS discount for US sellers is only on the product amount of the sale for domestic transactions.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 66
latest reply

brian_burke@ebay 

Is it okay to mention eBay Seller School and ask if any sellers want to join, Brian...?

By the by... were you able to get any info from the Legal Dept. and other areas regarding the info Korine P. sent you via email regarding the UV wand/detector...?

@charmedcreationsandmore 

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
When I go to print an ebay shipping label, ebay shows the buyer's chosen method as the default. At least, ebay HAD been showing that. NOW, ebay is showing a different choice as default. Is this a glitch? Is it intentional? If intentional, why on earth change the default to something the buyer did NOT choose? (In the labels I've seen with this change, ebay has defaulted to "Fast" rather than "Buyer Selected" or "Best Value"....)

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques it's a know issue that shouldn't be happening (it's not intentional). The Community team has sent and is continuing to bubble this up to our tech team. Personally, I'd like to see it fixed soon since the holidays are coming up.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 15 of 66
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: