cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, November 20 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on November 20th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a set topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have on buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to help!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Community Chat, November 20 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi Doug, Thanks. Selling Board would be nice, it probably is the most active board for sellers. Maybe pin to the top for a little while. How does that sound?
Message 46 of 81
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:
What meaningful action is eBay taking to deal with false claims? Also dealing with buyers making multiple accounts to circumvent blocks and site policies? Why does it seem like buyers are allowed to run wild. Do the higher ups understand that unhappy sellers also equals bad experience for buyers?

Hi @gwzcomps, we recently implemented enhanced Seller Protections for Top Rated Sellers. One of these protections includes returns where buyers claim a false Not As Described. Once the item has been returned, Top Rated Sellers can report the buyer for a false claim. Reporting the buyer will result in the seller receiving a $6 credit on their invoice to help subsidize the return shipping cost. 

Reporting the buyer also helps us identify members who abuse the Money Back Guarantee program. We encourage sellers to report buyers that abuse this process (such as reporting false Not As Described claims) so we have the information we need to take action on abusive buyers. If a buyer is attempting to circumvent a sellers block buyer list then they should contact customer service to report the situation. Customer service can take action on buyers that circumvent seller blocks. 

This reminds me: why is this protection only available to Top-Rated Sellers?
It seems to me that the time when it is most needed is when a seller has LOST TRS status because of a false INAD claim.

Message 47 of 81
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying to follow the Item specifics issue and I saw that ebay posted a final word on the problem.

But, I am a little confused.

I've read the last announcement over several times.  I think it says that it is mostly fix and should  be ok now or in the process of being ok quickly.

But looking over my listings today, I am still running into a certain issue.

When I create my listings I try to complete all of the item specifics and add many of my own.

On some of my totes and handbag listing, however, I am running into the same issue.. That  issue is  mostly regarding size  H W D

I put these into the listings and you can see those in the listing but when I revise the listings  I see my item specifics (the original ones) and see a button that says 'additional information" and then it expands to a bunch of item specifics which again repeats size.

I have been slowly revising all these listings but it is time consuming.

My question

Should I keep revising the listings?
Why are they repeating information that is already there?

Are these the things that ebay said in the announcement that will be fixed soon?

What happens to all the item specifics information I did when I initially created the listings?

Which are most important in search and buyer search?

thank you

Hi @golfingaddict - we're not the experts on this, but we'll get your concern escalated to the right folks and update this thread when we hear back. Make sure you're subscribed to this thread to get notified as we update things. 🙂

Tagging @dhbookds who had a similar concern. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 48 of 81
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@hawaiibeads wrote:

There used to be Ebay CS that would call and help with our stores. I have had an issue for a while now, and have not been able to find anyone in CS that can help me.

In each of my listings in the description, there is a box that says "sign up for newsletter". Next to that, on the left, is a blurry gray box where a logo would fit (if I used one). I have not been able to figure out how to either get rid of the box OR add a logo!

Hi @hawaiibeads - there isn't a dedicated 'store support' line that makes proactive calls any longer, but I'm happy to help with your concern. 

It looks like you're on the older store layout, which means you should be able to edit your store profile/logo from this link here

The bit about 'sign up for newsletter' can be managed on this page

You can also opt into the new stores experience that will be a bit more updated if you'd like! You can preview that by visiting http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/update/ and clicking Preview Store > Publish.

Thanks! 

I have a store...........I have the newsletter sign up checked..........there is no link that I can see in my store........

I also have store search box checked..........there is no more store search box, except at the top of the page........

If I click on Learn more about e mail marketing, it takes me to this  page:  https://www.ebay.com/help/home  thru which I can see nothing about e mail marketing.  Stores stuff was eliminated in June 2018, and never fixed.........

Message 49 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques I'll run this by the team, thanks!

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Hi Doug, Thanks. Selling Board would be nice, it probably is the most active board for sellers. Maybe pin to the top for a little while. How does that sound?

Message 50 of 81
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

>>I see a charge of $7 for "Advanced listing upgrade fees" and a savings of $6.48

>>for same. I was not aware of using any "Advanced listing upgrade fees" last month.
>>What gives? 

Hi @vrykalak,

>You were charged some Gallery Plus fees in October. However, this optional
>upgrade is free in some categories. In these categories the feature is added
>automatically since it's free. However, there were three listings that had
>Gallery Plus that were not in one of the free categories. There was also a
>listing with the Bold Listing Fee. These fees account for the $7 you are seeing.
---

Since I always check before listing or relisting everything,
to be sure the listing fee is $0.00,
and I have never in my 15+ years selling on eBay manually
selected Gallery Plus or Bold on a listing
these charges must have arisen when GTC items renewed.

That means eBay added those features when renewing a listing,
and I had no way to know about it.

I want those charges refunded, for last month, and any other
month since mandatory GTC started, if such charges were on
my invoice.

Hi @vrykalak - the Good Til Cancelled process does not add additional services to your listings at the time of renewal. If you'd like to give me a few item number examples that charged you that fee I'm happy to review to see if they are in one of the categories where this service is free, and what could have happened there. 

If you 'deselect' that option on the listings where it is charging you it will keep that status going forward as items renew.

When it comes to credits you'd like to request your best option is to contact Customer Support so they can review that in depth for you. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 51 of 81
latest reply

@academic.ealim.books wrote:

I purchased and item on Sept 28.  It arrived damaged (SNAD).  The return process functioned as it should other than the seller did nothing and I had to ask eBay to step in.  I also left negative feedback relating to the issues with the sale/shipping. FB was true, accurate and factual,  No emotions, 'just the facts."

I was shocked to discover that eBay removed the negative feedback and allow the item to be resold.  So I have to ask these two questions:

1.  Why was the feedback removed?

2. So I assume the seller contacted CS and got the FB removed.  How does that happen unless eBay decided this was abuse of the process?  So does that mean that eBay now has a mark on my account as to abuse of the MBG process? 

Hi @academic.ealim.books, while I can't talk about the specifics as it would require discussing account details, it sounds like the seller may have had protections that resulted in the feedback removal. I understand why this would cause you some concern and want to assure you that this definitely does not mean that your account is marked as abusive. If you did not receive a message from eBay stating that you violated a policy, then you have nothing to worry about in that regard. In fact, if you haven't received a message about a feedback policy violate then it is very likely that the feedback was removed due to some Seller Protection on the sellers end. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 52 of 81
latest reply

I had my first faulty claim return under the seller protections for TRS's.  The buyer returned an item that they claimed was "received wrong size/item " when in fact they later admitted that the size was what they ordered but  is just did not fit. 

I was charged for return shipping and I withheld a portion because the item was open from package and unsaleable when returned.

I was surprised to see the case remained opened with the wording "waiting for buyer to confirm refund received" 

This was strange because it says on my side that I have refunded, the funds have been removed from my account and I have received my fee refund.

I also did not see any refund for the return shipping.

I looked all over the site and help pages to see the exact details as to why and how this was working but I must be getting old because I could not find it. So I called eBay customer support to figure out how it worked.    It was explained to me that it stays open so that the buyer can complain or deny the partial refund and I would get my shipping credit at invoice time.

Is this stated anywhere on the site?   I know it is hard to spell out everything but it would be nice to be able to quckly find this information on the site rather than call cs.

And second, I get probably 3-4 cases that are the same every quarter.  Buyer claims that I sent them the wrong item or the item is defective because it does not fit.  When I get the item back, they are perfect and exactly what was ordered.   I sell undergarments that can't be resold as used.   Is this going to cause a problem for my account if I use the process that ebay set up to protect me from these cases?

Message 53 of 81
latest reply

I use the timer on my iPhone to alert me to ending GTCs before they automatically relist. I give myself a 10 minutes heads up. A pocket timer will also do the trick 😉
Message 54 of 81
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@academic.ealim.books wrote:

I purchased and item on Sept 28.  It arrived damaged (SNAD).  The return process functioned as it should other than the seller did nothing and I had to ask eBay to step in.  I also left negative feedback relating to the issues with the sale/shipping. FB was true, accurate and factual,  No emotions, 'just the facts."

I was shocked to discover that eBay removed the negative feedback and allow the item to be resold.  So I have to ask these two questions:

1.  Why was the feedback removed?

2. So I assume the seller contacted CS and got the FB removed.  How does that happen unless eBay decided this was abuse of the process?  So does that mean that eBay now has a mark on my account as to abuse of the MBG process? 

Hi @academic.ealim.books, while I can't talk about the specifics as it would require discussing account details, it sounds like the seller may have had protections that resulted in the feedback removal. I understand why this would cause you some concern and want to assure you that this definitely does not mean that your account is marked as abusive. If you did not receive a message from eBay stating that you violated a policy, then you have nothing to worry about in that regard. In fact, if you haven't received a message about a feedback policy violate then it is very likely that the feedback was removed due to some Seller Protection on the sellers end. 

brian@ebay 

Thank you for the reply.  Did not get an email from eBay so nice to know there is no strike on the account.

However, you mentioned there could be other "seller protections" at play here.  Can you please define that and explain?  Like what?   

It would be educational if I did something wrong as how to improve in the future and as a seller, useful if I encounter a similar situation. Thanks!

Message 55 of 81
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxoptical wrote:

If I am in the Guaranteed delivery program, I ship same day,  eBay inserted the Fast and Free logo on our listings, and I offer next day, second day and ground delivery services. 

Should my listing appear when the customer drills down on Guaranteed Delivery  options (one day, two day, ect)  When any selection is picked other than no preference my listings are removed from the search.

I am Top Rated Seller,  100 percent feedback, ship same day, free returns.  I don't know why I am not being shown.     

My Guaranteed Delivery status on the Seller Hub has been stuck as shown for many months now. 

Hi @maxoptical, while you have opted into the Guaranteed Delivery program, it looks like you did not set up rate tables for your items. The Fast 'N Free logo will appear to any buyer who is looking at an eligible listing and sees an estimated delivery date of 4 business days or less, but to show up in the search filters you want to appear in you would need to complete registration for Guaranteed Delivery. You can check what updates you need to make to complete this process so you can begin to appear in the related search filters you have mentioned by going to this link

For those interested in the Guaranteed Delivery program and it's benefits, check out our help page on this topic.

Message 56 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler,

Thanks. here's an item number: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163951541557

I believe the Concierge already put me on the ticket.

Thanks @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  - I'll double check just to make sure. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 57 of 81
latest reply

@bargainbigly wrote:

Given that we now have numerous Reddit threads detailing how to use eBay's not as described button to get free or half price items from sellers here, what is management doing to address the rampant fraud and lack of seller protection on this platform. 

The problem has only gotten worse over the past 12 months since eBay refuses to provide sellers with any protection beyond "just let them keep it for free" or "refund them 50% for the rocks that they returned".

That is not a seller protection policy. 

Thanks. 

Hi @bargainbigly, I answered a similar question in this chat after you posted this question. Something I want to highlight is that we are reviewing seller reports and taking action on abusive buyers. The first step to help ensure abusive buyers are removed from the site to to report them when they abuse the Money Back Guarantee. We review these reports and do take action on abusive buyers. I'm not aware of what moderation 3rd party sites take on their site, but I suggest looking into reporting threads on those sites that may encourage or promote dishonest activity. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 58 of 81
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

>>I see a charge of $7 for "Advanced listing upgrade fees" and a savings of $6.48

>>for same. I was not aware of using any "Advanced listing upgrade fees" last month.
>>What gives? 

Hi @vrykalak,

>You were charged some Gallery Plus fees in October. However, this optional
>upgrade is free in some categories. In these categories the feature is added
>automatically since it's free. However, there were three listings that had
>Gallery Plus that were not in one of the free categories. There was also a
>listing with the Bold Listing Fee. These fees account for the $7 you are seeing.
---

Since I always check before listing or relisting everything,
to be sure the listing fee is $0.00,
and I have never in my 15+ years selling on eBay manually
selected Gallery Plus or Bold on a listing
these charges must have arisen when GTC items renewed.

That means eBay added those features when renewing a listing,
and I had no way to know about it.

I want those charges refunded, for last month, and any other
month since mandatory GTC started, if such charges were on
my invoice.

Hi @vrykalak - the Good Til Cancelled process does not add additional services to your listings at the time of renewal. If you'd like to give me a few item number examples that charged you that fee I'm happy to review to see if they are in one of the categories where this service is free, and what could have happened there. 

If you 'deselect' that option on the listings where it is charging you it will keep that status going forward as items renew.

When it comes to credits you'd like to request your best option is to contact Customer Support so they can review that in depth for you. Thanks! 

You already looked and saw exactly which listings had the fees: "there were three listings that had Gallery Plus that were not in one of the free categories. There was also a listing with the Bold Listing Fee. These fees account for the $7 you are seeing."

As I said, I have NEVER selected either of those options...eBay's robots must have selected them for me ("this optional upgrade is free in some categories. In these categories the feature is added automatically since it's free").

I didn't select these upgrades, and I had no way to know they had been selected for me, so I should not have to pay for them.

Message 59 of 81
latest reply

Hi, I have a few different questions, first of all I had a link above my Sellers overview page for at least a week offering me a loan and I started filling out the request for it but didnt finish it and now the link is gone and I really need to finish requesting more info on it because we could definitely use the loan to acquire more inventory! Is there any way to get this link to show back up above my Sellers Overview? 

Also, my company is named Like New Knives. We sell new and used knives and multi-tools here on Ebay, on our own website and few other platforms. We have had a major issue the past few months with several of our listings being removed for not following Ebay's knives policy. Let me explain that everytimyuue this happens we contact customer service and each listing is reviewed and each time they agree with us that the listings DO follow the policy. We are always very careful to adhere to the rules here on Ebay. Unfortunately, each time this happens we end up with three days of our listings being hidden from search and the Ebay teammates say they cannot help this and cannot do anything about this. As I am sure you can understand three days with our listings not showing is very troubling. We make our living through this business and the majority of our sales are still coming through Ebay. Also the last time a listing was pulled, the account specialist we talked to was quite confused because I guess the teammate that pulled the listing did not bother to leave an explanation about why they did so which she said they ALWAYS DO. Can you please help me with this? Thank you!

Jess @ Like New Knives

Message 60 of 81
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: