cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 29 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on May 29 for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic for the week, so feel free to share any general buying and selling questions you have. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close it down for additional questions and continue to work on responding to any remaining queries.

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm and we'll be happy to look into it slight_smile

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Community Chat, May 29 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

The eBay managed payments team members who I have spoken with today have said if you go ahead and opt into managed payments now and before June 4th you will not be charged the listing per payment fee but they do not know how long that is for but assured me it will be past the Oct 1st starting time frame.

Copied from eBay payment terms of use

• If you successfully complete the managed payments onboarding process (in accordance with Section 4) on or after June 4, 2019 (starting at 00:00:00 (12:00 AM) Pacific Time):
  • Your payments processing fees are calculated as (i) the payments processing rate plus (ii) $0.25 per listing sold (the “per listing payments fee”).
  • Notwithstanding the foregoing clause (ii), for sellers who onboard to managed payments on or after June 4, 2019 the per listing payments fee is waived through September 30, 2019 at 23:59:59 Pacific Time (11:59 PM plus 59 seconds) and will take effect beginning October 1, 2019 at 00:00:00 Pacific Time (12:00 AM).

Does eBay staff know how long this wavering of the per listing payment fee will last for participants in eBay managed payment who are in the program before June 4th 2019?

Good Luck Selling!

Good Luck Selling!

Message 46 of 59
latest reply

Speaking solely from a personal perspective as a buyer, I would prefer not to receive a packing slip in my order as I feel it is a waste of paper, and I rarely receive packing slips when buying online.

As recommended by USPS, every package that I send(unless requested not to include) has the sender, and recipient address inside the package. A packing slip showing that serves the purpose. That packing slip showing all charges can help a buyer match up their charges without going back to look it up someplace.

Message 47 of 59
latest reply

tyler,

" a new packing slip is being prepared for roll-out."

Call me Don Quixote, but, maybe, just this once, do you think ebay could show us what the new design looks like BEFORE they roll it out? So we could provide some seller insight?
Message 48 of 59
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

Wow! Am I ever glad I didn't buy in to Managed Payments!
It sounded pretty good, until this 25¢/item/transaction showed up.
Seems to me, that's what's called "bait and switch" 

I don't know if I'd go that far.  But from the beginning Ebay told us that it would be cheaper for sellers than PP currently is.  Now it is going to be far more expensive for those that sell multiple items from different listings to a buyer.  

The processing fee from PP for one payment of 10 different listing numbers is 30 cents.

The processing Fee from MP for one payment of 10 different listings number is $2.50.

That is HUGE.  Especially for sellers that sell low $$ items.  Absolutely mind boggling.  And sure to put some of those sellers out of business on Ebay.  

As a previous poster here said, they sell $1 items.  Just to cover the per item fee, they would have to raise pricing by 25% to accommodate the new fee.  Some may survive that, but it is likely that many won't.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 49 of 59
latest reply

Regarding the fact that I can't say "Kermit" in a listing, because eBay thinks it is a command.  
"Kermit" by itself cannot be a command. 

It has to be followed by a parenthesized expression beginning with "K_" to be a command.

Please ask the PTB to put that fact in their algorithm.

Message 50 of 59
latest reply

Agreed!

I'll also add that the packing slip WITH the dollar amount and sales tax info is my source for sales tax amounts collected in order to file with the state.
Message 51 of 59
latest reply

Perfect! Thank you or your reply!
Message 52 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

Any update on getting the Quick Relist feature back?

It now takes 30-60 seconds to relist an item, even if there are no changes.
With the Quick Relist, it took 5 seconds, even if there were changes to the data in the pop-up window

...and after relisting an item, you were still in the same place in the Unsold list; you didn't have to search for your place to continue relisting.

Appreciate any help you can give us to get this feature back.

Hi @vrykalak, the relist option currently available seems to be the same number of clicks as before (two) so shouldn't be taking significantly more time. If you find this is taking more time due to the loading time of your computer or the time you are spending scrolling, I recommend you look into relisting/editing in bulk so you can relist everything you would like to relist at the same time. 

Message 53 of 59
latest reply

Many times I sell to a museum.  In the past, they do not have to request a priced receipt because the packing slip had the sold price and freight charges on it.    Now, with no notice to anyone, they will have to request a priced receipt.

Secondly, sometimes when you sell an item, it is sold to a reseller.   Having a priced shipping paper  serves as their receipt.   They don't have to ask special for one (and therefore revealing they are reselling the item)

And yes, I like to have a printed copy of the packing slip for my own bookkeeping.   So, what you have done by eliminating the price on the packing slip is created additional steps me to have that printed information.   This morning it took about 4-5 minutes to get the paperwork I need.

As for even having packing slips -  it's extra insurance should the post office damage the shipping label of a package.  Yes, it has happened to me.   I don't know what the PO did but all I got back was half an envelope (padded mailer purchased from eBay branded supplier) and the contents.  The packing slip was all that was left to get this package back to me.

I'm so old fashioned, this is my posting ID not my selling ID.  I don't download a lot of reports, I prefer my own.

Message 54 of 59
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
tyler,

" a new packing slip is being prepared for roll-out."

Call me Don Quixote, but, maybe, just this once, do you think ebay could show us what the new design looks like BEFORE they roll it out? So we could provide some seller insight?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I'll let all windmills in the vicinity know to be on look out... Smiley Wink

I can't make promises, but I'll ask!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 55 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for joining us today! We will work on responding to any outstanding questions and will publish a recap of today's questions and answers soon slight_smile

Message 56 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@automotivepartsrecyclrs wrote:
Says my account is limited due to another account associated with my account that is suspended.
I and others in this office can't seem to reach a USA based person that can help.
I have moved people off Ebay and they are working amazon until ebay fixes this issue. It is either that or give them their walking papers.
Our own records show a steep drop since the last week of march.
I either need a contact in the USA home office to check into this or have them contact me

Hi @automotivepartsrecyclrs, I am still a little unclear as to what limitation you are running into - it seems like you are able to contact Customer Service without a problem and I don't see any limits on your selling account. Either way, I will look into this further and touch base with you when I have more information.

Message 57 of 59
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

Regarding the fact that I can't say "Kermit" in a listing, because eBay thinks it is a command.  
"Kermit" by itself cannot be a command. 

It has to be followed by a parenthesized expression beginning with "K_" to be a command.

Please ask the PTB to put that fact in their algorithm.

Hi @vrykalak, when looking at the example you provided, I was not able to recreate the error you describe as you had already removed a portion of the description before I was able to take a look. I would need to see the exact code of your original description that was giving you problems and a screenshot of the error to really be able to investigate the specific problem you ran into.

While I understand that you have surmised that the word "Kermit" was the issue, this may not have been the root of the problem you ran into. I don't see a record of a listing being blocked for the reasons you have described, but did include all of the concerns with the listing you shared last week after the chat. While I know my response was after the chat was finished, I @mentioned you so you would get a notification for review. You can find these details here. You do have multiple instances of active content in your listing that need to be removed, and part of the description that you removed when you removed the "Kermit" portion may have been interacting with the active content code still present to generate the error you received. Again, it isn't possible for me to test this out for you without the full description text you originally had, but there are some changes that do need to be made to the example given before and any other listings you have that contain similar text.

Message 58 of 59
latest reply

Below you will find a recap of our Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team for May 29, 2019. We hope to see you at our next chat!

Managed Payments

What exactly is the new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

This fee update was part of some amendments to the payments terms of use and we notified all managed payments sellers of the updates earlier this week. Sellers currently not enrolled in managed payments were not notified so if you aren’t currently enrolled, you would not have received a message from us about this change.

To clarify a per-listing payments fee works like this— for example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee. If a buyer purchases two $5 items from you from different listings, you would be charged a $0.25 per-listing payments fee twice.

We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. For the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee.

To learn more about managed payments and express your interest, go here.

Does eBay have any suggestions for those sellers who specialize in selling multiple low price items as to how they can adapt to the per listing fee?

As with any business, a seller must factor their costs into the price of their goods. Only you can set the right price for your items that will cover the cost of merchandise, selling fees, shipping, etc. and also provide you with the desirable margin of profit.

I’ve requested before that the managed payments team participate in a weekly chat here on the boards. Is there any update on when this might happen?

We're working with this team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat, but we think having a place where you can submit questions so we can come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

Sometimes when I contact the managed payments team directly I do not receive answers to my questions. How can I get the information that I need for this program?

If you are not having the experience we would expect for you when contacting us, the Community Team will be happy to look into these conversations for appropriate coaching or clarification. We would just need to know the account you contacted Customer Service regarding, and the date & time of your call to investigate.

I’m concerned with delays on shipment due to long processing times for some credit cards. Don’t some take up to 7 days?

We aim to pay you as fast as possible. While processing times can vary, the typical time for credit card payments to clear is not longer than 4 days (with many closer to 2 days).

Does eBay inform sellers it is OK to ship before payment has cleared?

A seller will be notified to ship as soon as payment processes. Once an item appears is flagged as Awaiting shipment, a seller should ship the item out to their customer.

If seller do follow these instructions and ship immediately and the payment comes back as declined, how does eBay handle this?

A seller will only be notified to ship after payment has been processed, so there would be no concerns of shipping the item out and then the payment declining.

When did/does a Variable rate come into effect instead of the 2.7% that's been advertised?

While we do not have specific examples to provide, you can check the your rate using this link.

CBD

I sell hemp products. We previously used the acronym "CBD" as a marketing strategy but have since ceased that campaign due to eBay's flowing changes in policy. Our listings were recently removed despite not having CBD oil or indicating in any way that it is a CBD product. Can someone look into this for me?

We want to start by clarifying that we don't allow the sale of CBD products on the site in any form. Since laws and regulations regarding CBD vary globally, we’ve made the decision to not allow these items on our site. If the items involved contain CBD oil, they would not be appropriate for our platform. If you have further questions concerning the specific removal of your items I'd suggest contacting Customer Support so they can work with you directly and elaborate on the action we took or work to resolve any mistake we may have made.

Packing Slips

Why was the price removed from the packing slip?

Inaccuracies on the packing slip format were a factor in the decision to remove pricing information, as the tax rate that was displayed was inaccurate (though the tax rate assessed was correct).

Why couldn’t eBay just fix the way tax was displayed on the packing slip?

This would have been ideal, of course! We worked to address the issue but when it became apparent that a timely fix would not be possible, we instead removed the information altogether to minimize the negative impact this problem would cause. We are working on a new Packing Slip with improvements to be released later this year, which will once again include the price, shipping, and tax paid by the buyer. In the meantime, your buyers can view the amount they paid in their purchase history and our sellers can print out invoices from Seller Hub that include the price paid.

Why was there no notice?

eBay is always working to improve the site and the features that we offer and as a part of that objective, we regularly make changes or run tests to enhance our platform. It isn’t feasible to communicate through a formal update every change that we make, and we aim to strike a balance with our announcements so as not to overwhelm our Community with numerous minor changes. Sometimes we miss the mark and something we assess as low impact needs additional attention or context. Feedback from our Community helps us identify these instances so we can better identify when to proactively provide information in the future.

Why is the option to mark the shipment as a gift and remove pricing information still available if pricing is not included anyway?

We have gotten this feedback over to the appropriate teams for review and will work on removing any unnecessary options that might be causing confusion.

I use the packing slip as a way of keeping a record of sales tax I’ve collected for when I file my taxes. What am I supposed to do now?

You can print invoices or use the reporting tools available in Seller Hub to get this info. Steps to print an invoice are included below:

• In Seller Hub click the drop down arrow on the sold item
  • Select Print shipping labels or invoices
  • Select Invoice/packing slip
  • Select Continue
  • Print an invoice with prices included

Would it be possible to have the new packing slip shared with us in advance so we could provide some seller insight?

No promises, but the team working on this feature would be happy to get some feedback from our sellers on the new process later this year slight_smile

Request Invoice

Recently some of my buyers said that they couldn't request an invoice from me and only could pay. Do you know what is going on with requesting invoices?

Requesting an invoice from the shopping cart is something a buyer can do as long as you allow combined payments and are not offering any other types of discounts (markdown manager, promotions manager, etc). Additionally, there are other ways for you and a buyer to arrange for a discount - from a Private Offer via a question they ask on an item to a buyer's ability to Make an offer on items with the feature enabled. These are built in ways that wouldn't require a buyer to request an invoice from you. We are also happy to look into any examples you can provide and report potential issues to our tech teams.

Limited Account

When I call in to Customer Service I hear a notice through the automated system that my account is limited, but nobody can tell me why. What is going on?

This message typically means that there is a restriction or limitation on your account that would have been communicated to you via eBay messages or email. When looking into this specific example, it looks like there is nothing on the account that would cause this and there is an error with our automated system. We will have this reviewed for a fix, but in the meantime you are welcome to disregard this message as it has no impact on your account.

Quick Relist Feature

There used to be a Quick Relist feature that allowed me to relist items that did not require changes in seconds. Now it’s taking me 30-60 seconds to relist my items. Can you bring the previous process back?

The relist option currently available seems to be the same number of clicks as before (two) so shouldn't be taking significantly more time. If you find this is taking more time due to the loading time of your computer or the time you are spending scrolling, we recommend you look into relisting/editing in bulk so you can relist everything you would like to relist at the same time.

Message 59 of 59
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: