cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on May 22 for our weekly Community Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic this week, so feel free to share your general buying and selling questions. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, and then we'll close it down. 

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm. 

Thanks! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Community Chat, May 22 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thank you all for stopping by. Was good to chat with you. We've closed the thread for new questions as the hour is up, but we'll be sticking around to answer questions we didn't get to yet. 

See you again same time next week. 

✌️

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 76 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mg152 wrote:
I’m wondering what’s being done about variation listings that still have an item advertised for say .99 but the cheapest one is actually 10x that or more. We have some very unhappy buyers right now. One seller even had out of stock on all but the most expensive t shirt. I think I tagged Trinton on that one.
We need to keep buyers not run them off. Thanks!

Hi @mg152, definitely something that is on our radar. We review for violations and are happy to review any reports submitted for appropriate action. Since there are valid reasons to have a large price difference between variations, it is difficult to separate valid listings from listings that are attempting to manipulate our search algorithm. Because it is not possible to reliably identify these differences proactively/automatically, this is likely to remain a topic that remains something we need to manually review until such a time that we can consistently recognize the legitimate listings with large price differences and the listings attempting to abuse our search system.

Message 77 of 87
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
Also what about blatant drop shippers? Not the ones that abide by policy but the others. The ones that list, sell then use amazon prime gift to order the items? I got one just this week not the first time either. The item was cheaper on eBay than amazon. I don’t get it.
We had someone post today that’s blatantly breaking the rules about dropshipping. Thanks!

Hi @mg152 - we have a way to identify those people abusing the Seller Practices policy and we take steps to reduce their visibility to encourage them to change their habits. 

If you've received an item that indicates it was shipped via Amazon Prime (for instance, came with a gift receipt, etc) you can always consider returning the item and reporting the listing as an 'item location misrepresentation' issue.

To @mam98031's point, it's worth being sure of this before taking action, as the Fulfilled by Amazon feature is one that many sellers use (where an individual's personal merchandise is housed in an Amazon warehouse and shipped using Amazon packaging). I also think reporting suspected abuse of the Prime service to Amazon directly is a good idea as well. 🙂 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 78 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_c_green wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@postcardcountry wrote:

The 'new' shipping label process -- still incomplete

There is no way to change the zip code - and only the zip code - that you are shipping from.

I am not talking about changing my return address.

On the shipping label, under the date shipped appears "from xxxxx"    This is the zip code I want to change.

Could do it on the old, been around forever screen, but can't do it now.

Hi @postcardcountry, check post #12 for a reply that addresses this concern slight_smile

Actually, that feature did finally get added to the Shipping form and it's present right now. In the Shipping form, look at the "Ship from" address at the top center of the form, and click on the "Edit" link just below. That will bring up two address windows that can be updated: one is the Return address and the other is the Ship From address. (If necessary, check the box for "My ship from and return address are different" to see the second address window.)

Apparently the USPS wants full data submitted on the address belonging to the Ship From ZIP, not just the alternate ZIP code itself. I think the expectation is that you plug in the full post office address serving that ZIP code (or presumably the place at which you're staying there), but if in doubt, you can usually get away with submitting "General Delivery" as the street address, followed by the City that corresponds to that ZIP. Remember to change it back later when shipping from someplace else. I hope that helps.

Hi @a_c_green, thank you for adding this! I can update to confirm as well that the reason a full address needs to be input instead of just a zip code is due to a change in what is required by USPS. This is not related to the new shipping label process, simply something that was updated around the same time that we introduced the new label flow. 

Message 79 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@postcardcountry wrote:

Sending Offers to Buyers:

I would truly like to use this feature more, but for some reason eBay is throttling my efforts.

Over the last 14 days, 82% to 99% of my watched listings are 'not eligible to send offers'

When I have done my calculations, I have excluded those items that do not have at least 2 1/2 days left, the ones I have sent offers to and the ones I don't want to send offers to.

So what exactly makes an item/watcher combination ineligible?

Will there ever be anything in writing to explain this?

Hi @postcardcountry, if the buyers who are watching an item have elected to not receive these kinds of offers then you won't be able to send offers on those items. While the listing may be eligible, the watchers are not, so it will return an error message when attempting to send an offer.

" if the buyers who are watching an item have elected to not receive these kinds of offers"
I was never asked if I want to receive offers from sellers. 

How would a buyer have set that? and why? I bet it's a default.

It is in your Site Preferences.

Hi @vrykalak@mam98031 is correct! You can make changes to what promotions you would like to receive by going to My eBay > Summary > Communication Preferences

Okay. Where?
I think I read everything on the page.
I don't see anything that contains the word "offer" as a noun.

Hi @vrykalak, happy to reiterate, you would adjust your Communication Preferences for promotions. An offer from a seller is a promotional offer, so electing to not receive these from sellers would prevent them from being sent to the buyer.

Message 80 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

I looked up a book I was interested in, and noticed that the first 5 copies in the source results were all from the same seller, with identical Item Specifics & Descriptions, just different listing numbers. Is this legal?

Hi @vrykalak, was there a significant difference in price or item condition? If all 5 listings were from the same seller, for the same item, in the same condition, and approximately the same price, then this would be considered a duplicate listing policy violation. We do review for these kinds of issues regularly and take appropriate action, and you are welcome to report concerns directly from the listing for review as well.

Message 81 of 87
latest reply

@aikatt wrote:
What about those that drop ship from CHINA? It takes 5 days to get the item to the postoffice? That tells me it wasn't ever in the usa as claimed, the seller is not in the usa, only a reshipper is in the usa. I clicked on return for one item, and it showed a Chinese return address for a seller claiming to be a "usa seller". I once, *once* returned an item to China, never got the refund.

Hi @aikatt  - The Selling Practices policy applies to all members who list on eBay.com, so members in violation of this policy would have consequences regardless of where they are located. 

If a seller is required to cover the return shipping they are able to specify the return location of their choice (as they are paying for return shipping). However, if you as a buyer are expected to cover return shipping you are only required to return it to the location stated in the listing. the seller would need to provide a domestic shipping address for an item that was located domestically.

In your specific example, if the seller was paying for and gave you a label it could go back to China without issue. If you were expected to pay for shipping back, we would only ask you to cover shipping to the location in the listing. a domestic address vs their international location. Thanks!

***Update***

I've gotten clarification on this process, if a buyer is responsible for return shipping, and the listing indicated that the item was domestic to you (located in the US) they are required to provide a domestic shipping address for a return, it does not have to be the specific item location in the listing (as an example, a seller collects returns at a different warehouse than they ship merchandise from). If the domestic return address still results in a significant difference in postage costs we'd encourage you to contact CS directly so they can review all options for you. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 82 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fern*wood wrote:

Any suggestions for sellers that use USPS when the new dimensional pricing for all zones goes live next month?  Should I just give up on all my larger items?

Hi @fern*wood, check out our recent Announcement on this change for a list of recommendations slight_smile

Message 83 of 87
latest reply

@starting_5 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@starting_5 wrote:

Good Afternoon.

My question concerns the dreaded "smells like smoke" claim. Trinton has stated that "smell" is not covered by the MBG with the exception of a few issues. I had a buyer claim "extremely strong smoke smell" and wants to return at my expense claiming the item was "not as described".  Item didn't smell as claimed, but everybody knows buyers will claim whatever necessary to avoid return shipping. If I fight this issue with CS, I will lose and get a defect.

If the "smell" claim is not covered, how can a seller get these types of claims resolved in their favor? Also, would it be possible for Ebay to institute a definitive policy concerning these claims? 

Hi @starting_5, while smell is typically not covered, we do look to the buyer's return reason when deciding how to move forward with a case. If the smell is an integral part of the item, or the odor poses a health risk (chemicals, as one example) then a return would be warranted. Ultimately, if a buyer's return reason is that the item is not as described then we will decide to move forward with a return. 

Thanks for the response, but that didn't really answer my question. So you are saying that if the buyer simply says "not as described" then Ebay gives the buyer a free return. This contradicts what trinton has said in the community forum. .....

"smells would only be a valid return reason if a) the listing states the item comes from a smoke free home b) the listing states it comes from a pet free home c) the smell is an integral part of the item ie. a vanilla scented candle or d) the smell reported poses a health risk, such as the smell of chemicals. In these instances, we would cover a smell. If the seller has no disclaimer about smoke or pets, then the buyer's concerns regarding odors related to these factors would not be covered."

Hi @starting_5, thanks for sharing what Trinton has stated in the past. I can confirm that what Trinton has accurately described is our policy regarding odors. I need to reiterate that this policy does not override our Money Back Guarantee policies that an item that was not described accurately is eligible for a return.

Buyers do not always give full details when describing their issue with an item. In fact, they may not provide any details at all in some cases beyond the reason they select for the return. If the buyer indicates to you in any way that the item they received does not match the description in your listing, either by selecting a not as described reason when opening a return request or in one of their messages to you, you will need to accept the return, provide return shipping compensation, and give the buyer a full refund. In the example you've provided, the return reason is the most important piece of information we need to consider. 

It may help you to see the return reason and the messages from the buyer as "and" statements the buyer has made; what this means is that the buyer has said "Item not as described" AND "Has a strong smoke smell". While the smoke smell by itself may be considered remorse depending on the situation, the return reason is not considered remorse. These are not contradictory statements, nor does the smoke smell concern invalidate the not as described concern. These are complimentary statements where the buyer is letting you know that the item did not match the description. Attempting to interpret their messages to potentially invalidate their return reason is something we discourage, as this most often only leads to frustration and inaccurate assumptions.

The return reason is the primary source of information when deciding what to do in a request. While a buyer can also let you know that the item was not described accurately through messages, and you would need to address their concerns appropriately based on those messages, if the return reason is a not as described reason and there is no evidence of abuse or fraud on your buyer's account, you will need to accept the return, provide return shipping compensation, and issue a full refund.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 84 of 87
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Hi,

Sometime in the last couple of weeks there were changes made to the search engine, apparently in the "search expansion" coding.  Doesn't seem to matter whether it's best match or lowest price selected.  There are several threads noting the huge increase in non-matching items being returned at the top of the listing.

As I noted in this thread 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Another-example-of-broken-search/td-p/29839362

There are multiple items with the exact 6 search terms in their titles, but none appear higher than #47 on the first return page. 

Two posters stated they get 39 returned matches when they search, but I've touched base with several other sellers and friends and they get the same results I do. About 1400 matches but most aren't what was search for.

Buyers are not going to wade through pages of non-matching items, they are going to assume if they are not at or near the top of page 1 that no one is selling them and move on to the next site.

Whatever the most recent changes to the search expansion code should be at the least closely reviewed and at best rolled back.  

Please push this to the appropriate tech team, if buyers can't see our items in search, sales will continue to fall.

Hi @dtexley3, I'll review that thread and reply tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this up! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 85 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

For several months now, I have been trying to relist an item I last listed a year ago.
eBay won't post it, claiming that it contains JavaScript. I tried retyping the Description from scratch, in a text file, and verified that when I uploaded it to the Description, the only HTML in it were line feed & paragraph tags...No dice: system saw JavaScript.
Several eBay agents looked at the code, and agreed that they didn't see anything in it that looked like JavaScript.
Finally, yesterday, I realized what the problem was. The last line of the Description says the little figurine "has a bewildered expression (like Kermit the Frog)"...the system was upset about "Kermit" (which I think was a version of HTML many years ago).
So I removed that, and it posted.
C'mon guys!

Hi @vrykalak, if you can provide me with the item number I will be happy to look into this. Using a trademarked reference like Kermit the Frog may be problematic in other ways, as this could pose VeRO concerns or potentially be a search and browse manipulation violation as searches for Kermit the Frog items may pull up your listing, which would potentially be seen as unrelated.

Actually, the original listing just said "(like Kermit)"
I added the rest of the name to see if that would make it look less like JavaScript.
But the system still objected.
Everything in the listing is identical to the version that had  "(like Kermit)" in it, except that. So that is obviously what the system was objecting to.
The item number is 382963219329

Hi @vrykalak, thank you for giving me an example I can review and have investigated. While looking into this, I did notice a few things I wanted to share: 

• You have a link in your listing that are out of date, so do not work properly. The "other listings" link in your description directs to an older, insecure URL, which may have a negative impact on your visibility. You should remove this or update it.
  • The "unsold" list link is also out of date and while it redirects to the correct search results, an insecure link, an out of date link, or a link that redirects those that click on it can all potentially violate requirements for Browser Security and lead to reduced visibility on and off of eBay.
  • You have references to emailing you in your listing, and while I believe you are referencing eBay messages, this could be confusing to buyers or pose a potential violation of our policy to keep sales on eBay. I would recommend changing this to "Message us" instead of "Email us".
  • There are comments in your item description that are not related to the item itself, but instead represent opinions of eBay. These would be considered violations of our Item Description Policy, as you are not allowed to include comments that could discourage a buyer from buying on eBay or reduce their trust in eBay. Please remove:
    • "We can't understand why "Pre-owned" is not allowed as a condition code for Collectibles like this, most of which are neither "New" nor "Used")
  • You are also directing buyers to Craigslist to purchase some of your items, which violates our policy to keep sales on eBay and our Item Description Policy. Please remove this portion of your listing description.
  • The instructions for how to get a combined shipping discount are not up to date:
    • The portion where you instruct buyers to put items in their cart and wait for eBay to send an invoice is not accurate; a buyer would put items in their cart and then proceed to checkout, as the combined shipping discount happens automatically in the cart as long as you have you have this set up properly in your shipping preferences.
    • When telling a buyer to request an invoice from you, be sure to give clear instructions to either "Message us to send a combined invoice" or "Put the items in your cart and select the Request Total option so we can send you an invoice"
  • Also, while you reference combined shipping discounts in your listing description, you do not have this listing set up to combine shipment. You need to check the "Apply my calculated shipping rule" option in the listing form either through a revision or when creating the listing. As long as you have a calculated shipping rule set up (here), you can apply those settings to the listing for it to apply automatically in the cart for your buyers. For more info, check out our Help Page on offering combined shipping here.
  • The portion about eBay's Shipping Service (The Global Shipping Program), international shipping, and alternate shipping options internationally should be removed as the countries you ship to are set up elsewhere in your listing and a buyer cannot see your listings if their shipping location is in a country you do not ship to.
    • The statement "eBay makes it so hard now to choose which countries we are willing to ship to, we just have to block everyone" should be removed along with all the previously called out comments for clarity, but also because it violates our Item Description Policy as it may serve to reduce the trust a buyer has in eBay. Additionally, setting up the countries you do and do not wish to ship to directly can be done easily within My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Shipping Preferences > Exclude shipping locations. You can get to this page while logged in by clicking this link. On this page you can check the boxes for locations you would like to exclude, and choose the box towards the bottom to "Also apply to current listings". Buyers who have a primary shipping address in locations you do not ship to will be blocked from viewing, bidding, or buying your items, and you can make further adjustments through your buyer requirements section of selling preferences. These changes will apply to all future listings by default and you can make listing specific changes at the time of listing.
  • There is code within your listing for a hidden counter that seems be from your third party listing service. I recommend removing this code as it may be considered active content and no longer be in alignment with eBay's expectations.
  • There is active content code in your listing for a scrolling gallery from your third party listing tool that needs to be removed.
  • There are portions of your item description that are in all caps - this can be seen as spam by third party search engines and may reduce your listing visibility. I recommend you adjust this to remove the all caps portions and consider bolding the text as an alternative.

I hope this information is helpful! If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to touch base with Customer Service.

Message 86 of 87
latest reply

Below you will find a recap of our Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team for May 22, 2019. We hope to see you at our next chat!

The Community Discussion Boards

Is there a reason that the threads within the Community no longer show who replied last?

This is a bug we're currently working to fix. We hope to have this resolved very soon.

Any update on the Notification Bell issues that have been reported previously?

This fix is complex. We have been working around the clock for some time trying to find a solution with no update as of yet. We do feel the pain on this issue and it remains our top priority. While we are closer to a fix, we’re unable to provide an ETA at this time.

eBay Developer Account

My eBay developer account has been suspended. Is there anything I can do to have this decision reviewed?

The Community Team and Customer Service are unable to review these decisions for appeal. When our developers determine that it is in our best interest to part ways in this manner, the decision is final.

New Shipping Label Flow

The orientation of FedEx shipping labels has not been addressed yet. Do you have an update?

We are happy to confirm that the issue with label orientation is being addressed. You are able to open the label as a PNG file and make adjustments to the display before printing in the meantime as we continue to work on improvements.

When printing FedEx labels, the option of adding an SKU or item number disappears, so after printing a dozen labels I do not know which order is which, which label goes on which box. Can you get this looked into?

We will be sure to touch base with our developers to confirm this is being worked on.

The classic shipping page had the option to "ship from a different zip code" with USPS. The new page does not have this option, it has a "ship from a different address" option instead. What is going on?

The reason a full address is required instead of just the zip code is due to a change in what is requested by USPS. This is not related to the new shipping label process. You can Edit the Ship from address (near the top, in the center of the form) to adjust your Ship from address. This is one of two options, so be sure you are selecting the Ship from address and not the Return address. You may need to check the box next to My ship from and return addresses are different to see the secondary address window.

Checkout Issues
When click on "Buy It Now" or "Go To Checkout", I get a page saying Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "http://pay.ebay.com/rxo?" on this server. Why am I getting this error?

We can get this filed for review, no problem! Our tech teams benefit from a screenshot of the error as well as the specific session id in the URL of the checkout page. If you run into this error, be sure to grab a screenshot and have the complete URL for us to review.

Send Offers To Watchers

So what exactly makes an item/watcher combination eligible for offers?

To be eligible to send offers to watchers on a listing, your watchers must be willing to receive offers. This is the most common reason why you may find you cannot send an offer on a listing with watchers. Additional factors to keep in mind:

• Only 1 offer can be sent per watcher
  • The 10 most recent eligible watchers receive the offer simultaneously
  • This feature is not available currently for listings with variations
  • This feature is not available in all categories
  • Offers are not held to any immediate payment requirements
  • Offers cannot be sent to buyers who you have previously blocked

We can look into any examples to check for issues that need to be reported to our tech teams, no problem!

How does a buyer opt out of these kinds of offers?

This feature is on by default, and a buyer can turn this option off by adjusting their marketing preferences - My eBay > Summary > Communication Preferences

What email communication buyers receive to let them know about this feature?

Buyers are notified of the details of this feature when they receive an offer from a seller. If a buyer has previously elected to block offers through their communication preferences, they will not receive these offers.

eBay Money Back Guarantee

I had a buyer claim "extremely strong smoke smell" and wants to return at my expense claiming the item was "not as described". If the "smell" claim is not covered, how can a seller get these types of claims resolved in their favor?

While smell is typically considered a remorse reason by itself, we do look to the buyer's return reason if asked to step in and make a decision on a case. If a buyer has indicated concerns with the smell of the item and also let you know the item did not match the description, a return for a refund would be expected.

If the buyer has requested a return for a remorse reason; has indicated concerns with the odor that are not an integral part of the item (ie. scented candles with the wrong scent), do not pose health concerns (ie. chemical odors), and do not contradict information in the listing (ie. smoke free/pet free home); and you do not accept returns, then you can deny the return request if you so choose.

I don’t understand how an issue with the smell can be seen as not as described if eBay considers concerns with the odor to be remorse. Can you explain?

There are times when the smell is considered an integral part of the item, and concerns with only the smell would be reason to return the item (such as a vanilla scented candle smelling like cinnamon). We also would expect a return if the odor poses a health risk (ie. chemical smells, smoke or pet odors for a new item, etc.).

But if the buyer complains about the smell, why am I expected to address the return as if it is a not as described return (pay for return shipping, issue a full refund, etc.)?

A buyer’s messages should not be used as a way of invalidating their return reason - a buyer who has opened a return with the Does not match the listing description reason AND let you know that they have concerns with the smell of the item is not contradicting themselves - these two statements do not conflict, nor does the concern with the odor of the item supercede the return reason. Any indication from the buyer in the messages or return reason that the item did not match the description should be addressed with an accepted return, return shipping compensation, and a full refund.

I have a return where the buyer did not return the item within the time eBay gave them. I thought ebay would auto close case, but they didn't. I thought they couldn't return it after 30 days?

If you've accepted the return and the buyer fails to ship the item back to you within the time frame specified you can ask us to step into the return and we can close the request out. We will not automatically step into a return request without being asked to by one party or the other. While a buyer is not eligible for protection if they do not send the item back within the timeframe we gave them, we do hope you work with the buyer if you do end up receiving the return back. The buyer has protection options outside of eBay (ie. PayPal or their Financial Institution) and we would not be able to make a decision in a third party dispute.

The buyer sent a return to me and I opened it to find a bunch of junk in the box. I called ebay and they still awarded the refund to the buyer. Why wasn’t I protected?

We do have protection options available in situations like this. You can work with Customer Service to review the case details to ensure this is investigated fully and the correct action is taken.

Unsold Item Suggestion

If an auction ends, the Unsold list shows how many visits & watchers it had. Previously, when a Fixed price item ended, the Unsold list also showed the visits & watchers. I'd like to ask for that information to be saved, as it used to be, when an item ends.

We’re happy to pass along your feedback!

Best Offer Suggestion

On sending offers to buyers from messages, one inconvenience I’ve run into is when a buyer is asking for free shipping; in order to set to free shipping it can be pretty cumbersome to adjust this when using a third party tool to list items on the site. It would be nice to have a check box for free shipping next to the box where you enter the value of the offer.

We'll get this one passed on. Thanks for the suggestion!

Search Issue

Sometime in the last couple of weeks there were changes made to the search engine, apparently in the "search expansion" coding. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's best match or lowest price selected. There are several threads noting the huge increase in non-matching items being returned at the top of the listing.

We’ll review the reports within our Community of this issue and run some tests. If there are signs of search problems, we’ll get this over to our tech teams for review. Thanks for bringing this up!

Shipping Confirmation Email

I'm following up on a problem first reported back at the beginning of the month, where someone rolled out a new Shipping confirmation message that's basically missing all the data for the shipment, making recordkeeping very difficult. Can we get the following information added back?

• Listing title of sold item, and listing number
  • Tracking number
  • Ship-To: address
  • Shipped From address
  • Sale price
  • Listing end date and time
  • Buyer's ID

Also, the Payment Method hyperlink (PayPal) does not lead to the transaction in PayPal.

Thanks for touching base on this. We’ve reported these concerns to the appropriate teams and while we don't have an update on these issues, we’ll be sure to let you know when we do have more information.

Feedback

I'm not able to leave feedback for my buyers. I leave feedback but it doesn't go through. Can you pass this on to the tech teams?

Definitely going to get this over for investigation. We’ve had a few similar reports over the last week; if you are receiving a specific error message let us know so we can include this in our report to the tech teams.

Javascript Issue

I have been trying to relist an item I last listed a year ago, but I’m receiving an error that the listing contains Javascript. Can you look into this for me?

We can look into the specific example and see what might be going on, no problem. Some information to keep in mind when reviewing these kinds of situations and some general best practices are listed below.

• Ensure all the links in your listings are up to date - URLs should not direct outside of eBay, should not redirect a potential buyer, and should be in the https format (instead of http) when possible.
  • The item description should only contain relevant information to your listing; references to third party sites or comments that could reduce a buyer’s trust in eBay are considered violations of our Item Description Policy.
  • Active content code from third party listing tools may create errors when attempting to relist or negatively impact your visibility.
  • Avoid including text that is in ALL CAPS, as this can negatively impact your search placement in third party search engines.
  • Any instructions to buyers (such as steps to receive a combined shipping discount, request an invoice, or contact you) should be up to date. It is a good idea to test out the steps yourself so you can describe them accurately to your buyers, or provide a related eBay Help Page that provides these details.

Search & Browse Manipulation Violations

What is eBay doing about multivariation style listings where one of the variations is priced significantly lower than the other items, or is an unrelated item?

This is something that is on our radar. We review for violations and are happy to review any reports submitted for appropriate action. Since there are valid reasons to have a large price difference between variations, it is difficult to separate valid listings from listings that are attempting to manipulate our search algorithm. Because it is not possible to reliably identify these differences proactively/automatically, this is likely to remain a topic that remains something we need to manually review but rest assured, this is something we will continue to work on for improvements.

What item location misrepresentation violations, such as sellers who are drop shipping in ways that violate eBay’s policies?

We have ways to identify those that are abusing the terms and conditions of our Selling practices Policy and will take appropriate action when this is identified. We may reduce a seller’s visibility while they adjust their business practices to align with our expectations. You can report these kinds of violations directly from tom the listing.

What about those that drop ship and are located in another country? Sometimes I see a delay between placing my order and the shipment arriving to USPS, and later find the return address is in another country.

The Selling Practices Policy applies to all members who list on eBay.com, so members in violation of this policy would have consequences regardless of where they are located.

If a seller is required to cover the return shipping they are able to specify the return location of their choice (as they are paying for return shipping). However, if you as a buyer are expected to pay for return shipping, the seller would need to provide a domestic shipping address for an item that was located domestically.

I looked up a book I was interested in, and noticed that the first 5 copies in the results were all from the same seller, with identical Item Specifics & Descriptions. Is this allowed?

If all 5 listings were from the same seller, for the same item, in the same condition, and approximately the same price, then this would be considered a Duplicate Listing Policy violation. We actively review for these kinds of issues regularly to take appropriate action, and you are also welcome to report concerns directly from the listing for review as well. Keep in mind that items that have different item conditions or vary significantly in price would need to be listed separately.

USPS Shipping Price Update

Any suggestions for sellers that use USPS when the new dimensional pricing for all zones goes live in June?  

Check out our recent Announcement on this change for a list of recommendations

Message 87 of 87
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: