cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 29 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on May 29 for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. No set topic for the week, so feel free to share any general buying and selling questions you have. 

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close it down for additional questions and continue to work on responding to any remaining queries.

If you are new to the chat, welcome! Simply reply to this post with your question after 1 pm and we'll be happy to look into it slight_smile

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Community Chat, May 29 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Since the end of march when anyone here has to call Ebay customer service we get the following message.

Our account is limited due to another account tied in to our account being suspended.

We only have this one account.

So far we have not spoken to anyone in the USA. Overseas CS says our account is not limited BUT our own weekly sales show a steep decline.

Who in the USA can actually check this out?

Right now Amazon has kept our heads above water with this decline in sales.

If it can't be fixed we will be down grading our account.  

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi @goodluckselling

Here is more info on the fee: 

A per-listing payments fee works like this— example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged only one payment listing fee of $0.25 plus the variable processing fee (i.e. a percentage based on the total amount of the sale).

If a buyer purchases two items from you from different listings, you would be charged the per listing payment fee of $0.25 twice, plus the variable payments processing fee (i.e. variable rate as % of sale + per listing payments fee).

We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. On the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee.

To me as a seller this new policy "per listings sold fee" means = this listing (item number) will receive a one time fee (0.25) when it is sold and each sold items(same item number) after this will never get charged the "per listings sold fee" again regardless how many times it sells.

It probably should be called "per item number sold payment fee" .

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

Youtube video on ebay for business about Max Electronics. Why when you search for that store it dont exsist?

Message 18 of 59
latest reply

When I ask the experts on the eBay managed payments team via a phone call and also an email to the provided address about how certain things are handled they do not know the answers. Since payments into a seller managed payment account might not happen until all processing is finished which might take up to 7 days (AMEX).

• Does eBay inform sellers it is OK to ship before this time frame?
  • If seller do follow these instructions and ship immediately and the payment comes back as declined, how does eBay handle this?
  • What steps does a seller have to do in order to get paid in the events above?
  • Does eBay handle this without extra work on a seller part?
  • If eBay does pay back the seller does it come back as money in our managed payments accounts that will eventually be transferred daily to our bank accounts or does eBay make it a credit that we can use for whatever purposes?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I have several questions about managed payments as I have personally asked a few times in recent weeks to have managed payments team to participate in this chat.

I have confusion about your new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

If this new managed payment fee is called a "per listings sold fee" as written in your payments terms of use click here what does this exactly mean?

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling

We're working with the Payments team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat but I think having a place where you can submit questions and we come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

A per-listing payments fee works like this— example, if a buyer purchases two $5 items from you with the same eBay item number (that is, multiple quantities from the same listing), you would be charged only one payment listing fee of $0.25 plus the variable processing fee (i.e. a percentage based on the total amount of the sale).

If a buyer purchases two items from you from different listings, you would be charged the per listing payment fee of $0.25 twice, plus the variable payments processing fee (i.e. variable rate as % of sale + per listing payments fee).

When did/does a Variable rate come into effect instead of the 2.7% that's been advertised?

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 20 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I have several questions about managed payments as I have personally asked a few times in recent weeks to have managed payments team to participate in this chat.

I have confusion about your new "per listings sold fee" associated with eBay managed payments?

If this new managed payment fee is called a "per listings sold fee" as written in your payments terms of use click here what does this exactly mean?

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling

We're working with the Payments team to figure out the best format for a Q&A session. It may be a live chat but I think having a place where you can submit questions and we come back with answers at a later time might work better. With payments and financial information, we want to make sure that all information is accurate and that may require us having more time to research questions.  

We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. On the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee.

alan@ebay   A buyer can not purchase different colors from a variation. They can only purchase multiples of one color. The next color is a separate transaction. Can you clarify what was meant?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 21 of 59
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling

Thank you for the explanation and I look forward to the Q&A.  I hope all sellers will be notified of this and not just those that are in the MP right now.

Further, what the heck is a "variable rate".  Dang I must have missed something in that update.  Is there going to be variable processing fees?  I thought currently it was 2.7% for all.  Are there variations on that?  What variations?

And why is Ebay doing this.  You can't claim it is standard for the industry because it is not.  Not even on other sites handled by Adyen.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 59
latest reply

@anzacalirawgreen_5 wrote:

I sell hemp products. We previously used the acronym "CBD" as a marketing strategy but have since ceased that campaign due to eBay's flowing changes in policy. Our listings were recently removed sue to the listing containing ?Anza Cali? which was classified as a cntrolled substance according to the CSA or Controlled Substances Act. I did some research and discovered that CBD isn't even on the controlled substances list as of May 02, 2019; this was discovered using the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq sited in the drug section of eBay's policy and message to me at the time of removal. I was able to get my selling privileges back but I am a bit lost as to why and how ?anza Cali? is a controlled substance according to eBay as per the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq. We provide quality products at an affordable cost and wish to continue to do so and would love some real answers as to whats going on as this appears to be targeted and unfair business practices on behalf of eBay. We wish to continue to have a safe and fair online marketplace but I believe eBay has gone too far with this on. I have attached a copy of the message so you may better assist me in resolving the situation. Thank you for your time and effort looking into this matter.Ebay message.PNG

Hi @anzacalirawgreen_5 - we don't allow the sale of CBD products on the site whatsoever. If the items involved contained CBD oil we would prefer you list them for sale elsewhere regardless of the specific terms used within the listing.

This is not necessarily mandated by law or code, but is a choice we made for the eBay platform to minimize risk to all members (ourselves included) due to the complex legalities associated with those types of products.

If you have further questions concerning the specific removal of these items I'd suggest contacting Customer Support so the specific teams involved can work with you directly. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 59
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:
To me as a seller this new policy "per listings sold fee" means = this listing (item number) will receive a one time fee (0.25) when it is sold and each sold items(same item number) after this will never get charged the "per listings sold fee" again regardless how many times it sells.

My first thought was the fee would be charged again with a new buyer or separate transaction from same buyer

Message 24 of 59
latest reply

@funsationalfinds wrote:

Do you know what is going on with requesting invoices? Recently I worked out discounts with several different buyers. I wanted to be able to charge them less in shipping. They said that they couldn't request an invoice from me and only could pay. Then I had to refund the overpayment.

@Anonymous Sound familiar?  hehehehe.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 25 of 59
latest reply

"We generally find the most buyers place orders for a single listing, and when buyers do purchase more than one listing in an order the items are often from different sellers. On the occasions when buyers do purchase multiple items, it is often multiple quantities of the same item. If you sell multiple quantities of the same item from the same listing (i.e. different colors of the same item) this would be counted as one per listing payments fee."

Alan, There are many sellers on ebay who sell low dollar items in single lots (sports cards, stamps, etc). Many of their buyers will buy, say, 20 cards at $1.00 each (but these are all individual listings, since multi variation is not an option for these categories). So, for those sellers, ebay will be taking 25 cents from each dollar just as a transaction fee (not to mention the FVF etc). Does ebay have any suggestions for those sellers, as to how to adapt to a change that could destroy their current business model? Or is there something I'm not understanding about this change?
Message 26 of 59
latest reply

Technically it is no longer a 'fix', but to my understanding there was an issue with the tax information on eBay's end. So instead of correcting it, eBay simply removes it. Perhaps a better option than "print labels or invoices' is in the works?

Thank you for your reply.
Message 27 of 59
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Recently, with NO announcement, ebay changed the layout of the packing slip page, removing pricing information

My questions:

1, WHY was this done?  The Packing Slip has always had (and, inexplicably, still has, an option to edit the slip to remove pricing information). So why has ebay now decided to remove the info, rather than permit us to remove it if we so choose?

2. WHY was there no notice? eBay has promised time and again to announce changes like this, but once again, ebay sellers are forced to play the highly unpopular guessing game: Glitch, Test, or Policy Change? Not only was there no announcement, there wasn't even a little pop up in the packing list flow, saying something like: We've made a change! Pricing information has been removed from Packing Lists!  A little pop up is the least you guys could have given us, but.....nothing. Seriously, this sort of disregard for your sellers is REALLY getting old. It may not be intentional disregard, but it is impossible for sellers to see it as much of anything else. And "disregard" is the nicest way I can put it.  Let me make a suggestion, as someone who has sold on ebay for 20 years and would like to continue selling here for a long time to come: Do NOT try to decide whether a change should be announced in some way. Do NOT try to guess about how many sellers might be impacted, how many will be confused, etc, without an announcement. Don't do that, because you have a long track record of being wrong when you do that. It's really this simple: A product team makes a change? The product team ensures that the change is announced, either in the Announcements section or in a pop up on the effected page. That's it. No guesswork, no too late, after-the-fact telling the team they should have announced, just DO IT. A grateful ebay nation would applaud.

3. WHY is the option still there to remove pricing information? If you are going to make a change, make the change correctly, not half-a, er, half finished. This reminds me of the store edit function, which tells us we can edit our ebay stores to show grid or list, and choose the search order results. The options are there, but they DON'T work and haven't worked since you eliminated them. But they are STILL there, with NO notice that they are non-functional. Just one more thing to aggravate and confuse sellers. Continuing to have the option to remove prices when ebay has ALREADY removed prices is about as useful as teats on a bull. 

This may seem like a minor matter, but multiply this by the many similar situations that arise on ebay, and you have a prescription for seller dissatisfaction. In the highly competitive climate that is today's ecommerce world, it is WAY past time for ebay to ENSURE proper notice for changes like this, and for ebay to correctly implement the changes themselves. You guys tout the "efficiencies" you are bringing to Seller Hub, etc, so that we can concentrate on what matters, but then you do stuff like this, which literally WASTES seller's valuable time, as we try to figure out why the packing slip is screwed up.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, we've elected to remove the pricing information from packing slips to address concerns that have arisen related to these details. The buyer can still see the price they paid from their purchase history, and this information is available on eBay for two years. As I've discussed in a previous thread, changes that are not anticipated to have a widespread impact are often times not given a formal update - if we misjudge the effect this has on our Community, we will be more than happy to review for necessary communication and future improvements.

While I understand you are upset that this caught you off guard, we do need to decide when it is appropriate to make announcements/send communications so as not to overwhelm our Community with numerous minor updates. We are continuously making adjustments to our platform, running tests, and enhancing our tools and it would not be feasible or necessary in most situations to communicate these changes. Again, I will be sure to pass along the feedback we've received here, I just wanted to set clear expectations that changes we deem to be minor will not always be accompanied with the level of communication you are asking for.

Additionally, as I mentioned in the thread linked above, I'm happy to get feedback over to our developers regarding the option to hide pricing that remains on the packing slip printing page. This may already be on their radar to remove in the near future, but I will double check with them to be sure.

In closing, I'd like to hear more from you on why you feel the price on the packing slip is necessary. Do you have buyers requesting this? Are you using this for records? Do you feel there is an expectation to have the price on the packing slip, as if it serves the function of a receipt? Speaking solely from a personal perspective as a buyer, I would prefer not to receive a packing slip in my order as I feel it is a waste of paper, and I rarely receive packing slips when buying online. Since my own experience and viewpoint may be quite different from yours, I would very much like to hear from you the reasons you feel this was a misstep on our part so I can share this sentiment with appropriate teams.

If the chat closes before you can respond, don't hesitate to add your thoughts to the thread I linked at the start of this post slight_smile

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Interesting read.  Puts an additional, new and varied slant on the explanation and and the currently written terms.  I missed that one.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

When I ask the experts on the eBay managed payments team via a phone call and also an email to the provided address about how certain things are handled they do not know the answers. Since payments into a seller managed payment account might not happen until all processing is finished which might take up to 7 days (AMEX).

• Does eBay inform sellers it is OK to ship before this time frame?
  • If seller do follow these instructions and ship immediately and the payment comes back as declined, how does eBay handle this?
  • What steps does a seller have to do in order to get paid in the events above?
  • Does eBay handle this without extra work on a seller part?
  • If eBay does pay back the seller does it come back as money in our managed payments accounts that will eventually be transferred daily to our bank accounts or does eBay make it a credit that we can use for whatever purposes?

Good Luck Selling!

Thanks for the questions, I will see what info I can find out for you. I'll reply to this thread when I know more. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 30 of 59
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: