cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 24 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Edit: Please read the FAQ about the new "All Selling" page here.

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 158
latest reply
157 REPLIES 157

Re: Community Chat, March 24 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@dr.mia52 wrote:

This is to report a major grievance that immediately, negatively impacts my ability to continue selling on eBay. 

First, I've been a direct seller on eBay for Place For Cats, a 501(c)(3) rescue organization, for 16 years. Place For Cats, Inc. is a rescue-and-adoption organization that has operated out of NYC since 1990; the organization has had federal not-for-profit status since 1994 and is up to date in all its federal and state filings.

From 2005, since I first signed on in eBay as a direct seller, giving 100% of all sales proceeds to the rescue, Ebay charity's department (originally called Missionfish) has been in possession of the charity's official documentation including the organization's corporate papers, the IRS award letters and the organization's State ID number provided by the NYS Charities Bureau. In 16 years, there never was an issue with eBay or Paypal regarding the charity's status or my selling for the charity. That is to say there never was an issue until March 14th of this year when I was forced to switch to Managed Payments. I was informed that if I didn't switch, I wouldn't be able to continue to sell on eBay, so I made the switch.

Thereafter, eBay sent an email on March 14th acknowledging the switch, "Welcome to the new way to sell and get paid on eBay!" 

After the switch, I sold 5 items but to date, the charity has not received one cent. I ended up speaking to 6 customer service reps. Following are several of the interactions.

By March 19th, funds showed in "Payments" as "Available." But no funds were forthcoming to the charity. Worse, I received an email that stated:

"Place For Cats is grateful for your support. Your donation will either be automatically collected 21 days after the item's sold date or you will be invoiced on the 22nd of each month. We recommend setting your Charity Payment Method on the eBay website to PayPal to ensure automatic collection."

WHAT?????????????????????????????

What is eBay talking about?? Invoice me for what? I personally received ZERO from selling. Ebay implies that it will collect from the charity's Paypal account, then pay the funds back into the charity's checking account?? WHY DOESN'T EBAY SIMPLY PAY OUT THE FUNDS SITTING IN EBAY DIRECTLY INTO THE CHARITY'S CHECKING ACCOUNT?

I put in a request for assistance and "Matt" called me. He was very polite, spent an hour on the line with me, went over the switch to MP, said he would escalate the problem to eBay's Charity Team and someone would get back to me within 24 - 48 hours - BY EMAIL. No phone contact is available with the Charities Team, Matt said. For three days all I heard from eBay was crickets. The last 4 digits of that SR# are ...5885.

By March 21st, still no funds had been transferred to the charity, so I put in another request for assistance. Santiago from MP called me in response. The conversation was a near repeat of the conversation with Matt; again, I was caused to RE-ENTER the charity's bank information, not realizing that it was a delaying tactic. Apparently each time the bank info is re-entered it starts the clock for eBay to claim another wait of 24 - 48 hours "for security reasons." All the while, the charity's bank is THE SAME BANK THE CHARITY HAS USED FOR THIRTY (30) YEARS. After another hour wasted on the phone with Santiago, he said he would escalate my grievance and someone would contact me within 24 - 48 hours. The last 4 digits of that SR# are ....4016.

By March 23rd, still no funds had been transferred to the charity all the while the total funds due are showing as "Available" under Payments. I put in another request for assistance and this time David M called me in response. It was nearly the exact conversation and request to re-enter my bank information. The exchange was a virtual replication of the two before it and ended after an hour with David M assuring me that he escalated my grievance.

Today, March 24th, is 6 days after the first funds should have been transferred to the charity's checking account. To date, NO explanation from eBay as to why the delay. Contrary to the assurances of all agents I spoke to NO resolution to the issue has been forthcoming. That the agents were polite is of no moment. The point is: not one of them resolved the problem.

Obviously, I am not going to continue to send out merchandise to buyers knowing the charity isn't receiving the funds I am raising for it. I am a volunteer for the charity as are all others who volunteers who help the rescue. I get nothing from the painstaking hours I put in researching values, photographing items, composing descriptions, uploading data into the templates, monitoring the listings, and making sure buyers are satisfied.

When I am forced into a change that results in such an immediate, negative impact, and then when I am forced to waste the cumulative equivalent of one to two days trying to resolve it, whatever respect I might have had for eBay flies out the window.

Both the charity and I are being damaged by eBay's  failure to transfer the funds to the charity's checking account, and by the sloppy, shoddy ineffective system in place to address the problem.   A resolution is needed NOW so I can continue to sell uninterrupted for the charity.

@dr.mia52 - I am so sorry that this has happened. As frustrating as it is to type this, I'm not able to provide account specific support on the boards, you would need to continue to work with the payments team on this issue. I will make sure your experience with this is shared, as it definitely should not have been this hard to resolve this.  

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 151 of 158
latest reply

@dr.mia52 wrote:

This is to report a major grievance that immediately, negatively impacts my ability to continue selling on eBay. 

First, I've been a direct seller on eBay for Place For Cats, a 501(c)(3) rescue organization, for 16 years. Place For Cats, Inc. is a rescue-and-adoption organization that has operated out of NYC since 1990; the organization has had federal not-for-profit status since 1994 and is up to date in all its federal and state filings.

From 2005, since I first signed on in eBay as a direct seller, giving 100% of all sales proceeds to the rescue, Ebay charity's department (originally called Missionfish) has been in possession of the charity's official documentation including the organization's corporate papers, the IRS award letters and the organization's State ID number provided by the NYS Charities Bureau. In 16 years, there never was an issue with eBay or Paypal regarding the charity's status or my selling for the charity. That is to say there never was an issue until March 14th of this year when I was forced to switch to Managed Payments. I was informed that if I didn't switch, I wouldn't be able to continue to sell on eBay, so I made the switch.

Thereafter, eBay sent an email on March 14th acknowledging the switch, "Welcome to the new way to sell and get paid on eBay!" 

After the switch, I sold 5 items but to date, the charity has not received one cent. I ended up speaking to 6 customer service reps. Following are several of the interactions.

By March 19th, funds showed in "Payments" as "Available." But no funds were forthcoming to the charity. Worse, I received an email that stated:

"Place For Cats is grateful for your support. Your donation will either be automatically collected 21 days after the item's sold date or you will be invoiced on the 22nd of each month. We recommend setting your Charity Payment Method on the eBay website to PayPal to ensure automatic collection."

WHAT?????????????????????????????

What is eBay talking about?? Invoice me for what? I personally received ZERO from selling. Ebay implies that it will collect from the charity's Paypal account, then pay the funds back into the charity's checking account?? WHY DOESN'T EBAY SIMPLY PAY OUT THE FUNDS SITTING IN EBAY DIRECTLY INTO THE CHARITY'S CHECKING ACCOUNT?

I put in a request for assistance and "Matt" called me. He was very polite, spent an hour on the line with me, went over the switch to MP, said he would escalate the problem to eBay's Charity Team and someone would get back to me within 24 - 48 hours - BY EMAIL. No phone contact is available with the Charities Team, Matt said. For three days all I heard from eBay was crickets. The last 4 digits of that SR# are ...5885.

By March 21st, still no funds had been transferred to the charity, so I put in another request for assistance. Santiago from MP called me in response. The conversation was a near repeat of the conversation with Matt; again, I was caused to RE-ENTER the charity's bank information, not realizing that it was a delaying tactic. Apparently each time the bank info is re-entered it starts the clock for eBay to claim another wait of 24 - 48 hours "for security reasons." All the while, the charity's bank is THE SAME BANK THE CHARITY HAS USED FOR THIRTY (30) YEARS. After another hour wasted on the phone with Santiago, he said he would escalate my grievance and someone would contact me within 24 - 48 hours. The last 4 digits of that SR# are ....4016.

By March 23rd, still no funds had been transferred to the charity all the while the total funds due are showing as "Available" under Payments. I put in another request for assistance and this time David M called me in response. It was nearly the exact conversation and request to re-enter my bank information. The exchange was a virtual replication of the two before it and ended after an hour with David M assuring me that he escalated my grievance.

Today, March 24th, is 6 days after the first funds should have been transferred to the charity's checking account. To date, NO explanation from eBay as to why the delay. Contrary to the assurances of all agents I spoke to NO resolution to the issue has been forthcoming. That the agents were polite is of no moment. The point is: not one of them resolved the problem.

Obviously, I am not going to continue to send out merchandise to buyers knowing the charity isn't receiving the funds I am raising for it. I am a volunteer for the charity as are all others who volunteers who help the rescue. I get nothing from the painstaking hours I put in researching values, photographing items, composing descriptions, uploading data into the templates, monitoring the listings, and making sure buyers are satisfied.

When I am forced into a change that results in such an immediate, negative impact, and then when I am forced to waste the cumulative equivalent of one to two days trying to resolve it, whatever respect I might have had for eBay flies out the window.

Both the charity and I are being damaged by eBay's  failure to transfer the funds to the charity's checking account, and by the sloppy, shoddy ineffective system in place to address the problem.   A resolution is needed NOW so I can continue to sell uninterrupted for the charity.

@dr.mia52 - I am so sorry that this has happened. As frustrating as it is to type this, I'm not able to provide account specific support on the boards, you would need to continue to work with the payments team on this issue. I will make sure your experience with this is shared, as it definitely should not have been this hard to resolve this.  

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 152 of 158
latest reply

@ihave2manycars wrote:

Brian, Brittanie and Tyler

Although you are kind enough to respond to some of our comments, the issue is for the sellers that the page just doesn’t work as efficiently as it once did. Now many complained about MP, and it took some getting used to but like bad food, it passed.

The page we all were very comfortable with is gone. Got it. But can you please personally pass on our collective concerns to the group that made the new page and let them know that it’s just NOT user friendly.

As sellers, we need to know if we were paid what we need to ship, and when we need to ship it by.

The coders/programmers had no input from those who use it the most. The sellers.  I personally don’t care if eBay wants to create the same look and feel across the site, but as a seller I would like a USEFUL overview of what I need to do to keep my customers happy. Would it be so hard for that programming group to extend to us the same courtesies we are extending to our customers?

So again, thanks for the opportunity to vent. I can only hope that one of you has the ability to pass our collective concerns on to the powers that be.

Hi @ihave2manycars - totally fair, and understood. The reality is we have been reporting on the sentiment around this change for the past two weeks, and we will continue to do so. Like I mentioned to Mr Lincoln, the reason we ask you to communicate via the 'Comment' link is that that goes directly to the team involved. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 153 of 158
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

"You need to update your account details on file in order to avoid any issues with payouts in the future."

This message has cluttered up the Seller Hub page for months, perhaps since before COVID-19. I reported the problem to eBay months ago. I was assured that it was an eBay problem and it would be fixed. Here I am almost a year later, still wondering what is wrong with my account settings, if anything. Is there no way to find out or no way for eBay to fix the software? Why not just suppress the message if it is meaningless?

@clarkphilatelics - I'm sorry to hear that's been the case. I would recommend contacting the payments team directly to let them know this is still an issue.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 154 of 158
latest reply

@mvls1 wrote:

Tyler, I don't understand why the new page could not have had the new code written to mimic ( mirror image) the existing all selling page. since they had to write new code anyway why would they at least not include the items and links that were resident on the existing page? By creating a new page and deliberately leaving currently used seller information off the new page show disrespect for the sellers using that information. With a little effort all of this mess could have been avoided. People are not nearly as resistant to change when an effort is made show respect for their needs. Mr. Lincoln posted a very good example of simple things that should have been included automatically. Please pass this along to the team to get those items added back to the new page . Thanks for your help.

Hi @mvls1 - I'm not certain why the design changes were made the way they were. However, reporting on these changes is something that our team has done multiple times over the last two weeks. The reason we ask you to share your input and feedback via the new page is so the development team in charge of this page will receive your feedback directly. The combination of our team's reporting to a general internal audience and your input directly to the team involved is the most likely way to see meaningful enhancements made to the page. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 155 of 158
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Any word on putting combine shipping on the app, its only been 3 years since is was brought up

Hi @tsme35 - there's been no announcement of this kind of functionality on the app yet. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 156 of 158
latest reply

@randomsl wrote:

Can anyone describe a way to print the new eBay Standard Envelope labels directly onto a #6 3/4 sized envelope? The labels are not currently being generated in the proper orientation to print directly to an envelope and require rotating and resizing in order to make them functional. It was a huge roll-out for eBay but the labels take too long to manipulate to make them worth using. 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

@randomsl - I got more information on this. While at this time, we don't have specific guidance for printing on certain types of envelopes, this is on our radar.  Some of the the following steps may help though:

1. Try the different formats we have for labels (PDF vs. PNG).

2. If you use PDF, try the different sizes offered for this (8x11 or 4x6). Using a 4x6 document might be your best option.

3. You may want to check the overall printer settings and see about changing them to re-size and select the envelope size you need.

In complete honesty, even at the very best of times, envelopes are tricky to print on (I used to work for a print shop printing wedding invitation envelopes and it was always tough), but hopefully the above does help with this. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 157 of 158
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@mrstippie1 wrote:

Is eBay having an issue with Chrome?  Impossible to revise listings, etc.  Each entry triggers a "page unresponsive" message giving you the option to wait, and wait and wait!  Unacceptable.  It has been like that for about 3 days! 

@mrstippie1  no issues that we're aware of. It sounds like this is a browser issue. If you haven't already, clear the cache and cookies from Chrome to ensure there isn't old data that's interfering with loading the pages.

@mrstippie1 it looks an issue was identified. You'll find more information here

Brian,
Community Team
Message 158 of 158
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: