cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close the thread from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will work review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Community Chat, July 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

A few weeks ago Jordan posted which items were hot to sell on Ebay.  This info has helped me with increasing my sales and want to ask:

Can we get this information weekly, for example in Sellerhub
---

Many years ago, eBay used to publish a What's Hot and What's Not list, at least once a month. It was extremely valuable to me.  I would sure like to see it again.

Message 61 of 70
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Did you have lower fees?

Lower fees compared to what? I signed up just after the cut off so I wasn't one of the sellers who had the 25 cent per listing fee waived. When a buyer purchases  items from 5 listings in a single order, that's an extra $1.25- so not lower.

Sorry to hear that.  Bet you are glad that particular rule is going away!!!!  I know I am.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 70
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but we'll keep working through questions that have come in and we haven't gotten to yet. 

See you on the boards!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 63 of 70
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I have sales in MP to PR. I list with USPS shipping, and all show up domestic. 

I think it may be a little confusing as PR is handled like it is domestic [cuz it is] but at least on my Seller Hub it shows up as an international sale.  It has for YEARS.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 64 of 70
latest reply

@divwido wrote:
But nothing is done. Reporting is a giant waste of time.

@divwido speaking as someone who has worked with the teams that review and action these reports throughout the years I've been with eBay, I can assure you that they are viewed and actioned appropriately. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 65 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nuclearomen wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

I have questions on Managed Payments

Registration: I registered but never got an email confirmation that bank account information I provided was verified, I called ebay MP and they said I was "good to go" - but again, never got an email confirming this. I would like an actual email confirmation saying my account info was verified 

MP Sign Up Incentive: MP was a sign up by July 15th or lose ability to sell on ebay. I Registered June 30th, a week later now ebay is giving people large credit offers for signing up - sorry, but I'll take that credit also, and everyone else who has put up with ebay MP harassment past 3 months. 

Private MP Community:  I have no access, same with others, I would like access to the community to be able to further prepare for MP, seeing ebay said "more information will be provided after you register" - yet NO further information aside from the vauge information already provided prior to registration was provided.  

Hi @nuclearomen, we can pass along your request to join the managed payments board within the Community. For your other questions, you will need to contact Customer Service to speak with our managed payments teams directly.

@Anonymous  that's a start, appreciate access - please let me know how I'll know if access was granted (via inbox?) 

Hi @nuclearomen, I'm not sure if there is an automatic notification but I will check and can update you via email if I receive confirmation that you have been added.

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

tyler@ebay ... it's me again!

I've checked my messages and emails for weeks now... no updates from you yet.

Did you ever find a way that I can list my ANSELL Gloves, saved in my Drafts folder? They are NOT pandemic related.

Should I start from another seller's listing, or can I use this one that was working until I ended it a few months ago?

Hi @mtgraves7984 - that's so frustrating, I could have sworn we got this resolved. Sorry!!

I'll get you an email shortly, cross my heart!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 67 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

I thought coins/bullion, sales etc could not be accepted by MP at all yet?  So the only payment option IS paypal? 

Hi @dhbookds, though I'm not quite sure I understand the question being asked, I can confirm that there have been no new updates on this topic since the confirmation from our executive team earlier this year that we will work towards including categories like this.

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

Questions regarding ebay transactions related to the new paypal user agreement updates effective July 31st. As you know managed payments is not yet ready for the coin category but the paypal user agreement updates seem to take away seller protection from us.

Paypal states that "We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Program does not cover Unauthorized Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal."

Does this mean ebay checkout hosted by ebay but processed by paypal are no longer receiving any seller protection, and that are ebay transactions are at our own risk in categories where paper payments are not allowed? Or are ebay transactions still going to be protected?

In the same policy update Paypal states

"We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy."

Does this mean numismatic gold coins sold on ebay are no longer covered by any protection even outside the bullion categories where we aren't allowed to accept any payments other then paypal?

Does ebay have any plans to offer any coverage to help us sell safely?

Any additional or related information regarding safety of accepting payments on ebay where managed payments are not yet an option would be welcome. Thank you!

Hi @coinslabz26, PayPal protection policies are unrelated to eBay protection policies. I can confirm that there already exists a number of situations where eBay offers protection where PayPal may not, and vice-versa. Though we wouldn't be able to speak to PayPal policy, I can recommend that you contact PayPal and discuss your questions with them directly.

@Anonymous 

Surely though you know if selling item on ebay will still be protected by seller protection?

Paypal will not address the question. They have no phone support and their email support tells me to email someone else that does not respond.

The question I am asking is only to do with ebay selling and if sales will still receive any sort of protection specifically if a buyer claims a purchase was unauthorized.

August 1st if I sell a coin to an ebay'er and I ship it to the address on file with the proper tracking and signature if required and the buyer claims they didn't make the purchase will I be reimbursed if the buyer wins a creditcard dispute?

August 1st if I make the same sale in the same instance and the base metal of the coin was gold but the gold value was $100 and the sale price was $1000 would I be reimbursed if the buyer were to dispute it as unauthorized with us creditcard company?

If you still can't answer this then how do I find out if I can't get ahold of paypal?

Hi @coinslabz26, I apologize if there was some confusion in my previous response - as I stated, PayPal protections would not impact the protections available on eBay. Our protection programs are separate. You've asked if the recent changes PayPal announced would result in a loss of protection on eBay, and I confirmed that the announcements from PayPal would not change anything about eBay protections. The specific example you have provided about seller protection for an unauthorized sale is not something we currently offer protection for, and the recent policy updates from PayPal wouldn't effect our available protections. Any changes in the future would be communicated to our Community.

Unfortunately I think you've left me more confused then I started. I can see you are clearly making a good faith effort to answer my questions and it is greatly appreciated but I am not sure we are on the same page here.

The platform has always protected us when a buyer claimed they didn't receive an item and the tracking shows delivered or when the buyer claims they didn't make a purchase but the tracking shows you delivered it to the address used at checkout. You are now saying this isn't currently offered and nothing is changing?

Hi @coinslabz26, let me try to address this in a more concise manner; nothing has changed about eBay protections. You've asked about PayPal protections, which are unrelated to eBay protections. The example you provided are discussing a charge back for unauthorized use, which we do not offer protection for today outside of managed payments. If you would like to review the protections for these situations through managed payments, you can review those here. The protections outside of managed payments would be the same.

If you have tracking that confirms delivery and an item not received request is open on eBay, you would be protected. If the buyer pursues protection outside of eBay, you would need to look to the protection options available to you outside of eBay.

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Hey guys- I have some questions about sales to Puerto Rico.

The first question is why does it sometimes appear as an international sale and other times it's a domestic sale? They should all be domestic, right?

I noticed a sale yesterday that had PR in the state field and that's showing as domestic- and at least a dozen sales before that had Puerto Rico in the state field and those are showing as international. I don't know if that's related or just a coincidence.

I also would like to know if sales to Puerto Rico and other US territories will be considered international or domestic with managed payments fees-  but I think you'll say I have to ask the payments team that.

And the last question- is there a way for eBay to force PR as the state instead of the full spelled out Puerto Rico? I don't know why, but Stamps.com kicks out every address as invalid when Puerto Rico is written out. When I manually change it to PR the address is accepted with no issue.

@coffeebean832 my understanding is that Puerto Rico should show up as domestic, yes. If you can get some examples of it showing up as international and some as domestic then I'll be happy to have it looked into.

You're right, you'll need to contact the payments team for more info on that question. 

I can pass along the feedback about PR in the address. Thank you for letting us know about it 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 70 of 70
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: