cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

I still have an unauthorized transaction case stuck in limbo for over a month now.  Is it safe to assume at this point eBay has no intent to honor their seller protections?  This was never a problem with PayPal since they automatically covered this stuff with their seller protections they offered.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 2 of 67
latest reply

YEAR MANUFACTURED has been recently moved from the Additional Specifics section to the Recommended Specifics section on the listing page for non-topographical postcards (transportation, greetings, holidays, etc.).

It is not possible to enter "n/a" or "unknown". The only option is to leave the box blank or type/guess a date (which could lead to an INAD negative transaction).

Every time I list a non-topographical postcard, the blue wheel does not complete the circle and the listing is added to a list of “items that need update” in seller hub. I already did full updates over the past 2 months for over 2000 postcards.

YEAR MANUFACTURED is still in the Additional Specifics section for topographical postcards where it can be left blank.

My question: Why is “year manufactured” recommended for some postcards and just an option as additional specifics for other postcards.

There is already a Recommended Item Specific box for postcards (topographical & non-topographical) where to enter the ERA (i.e.: divided back 1907-1915, etc.) and this is all we should need for dating postcards.

-----

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

And I apologize for double posts. I started too early and posted on general forum.

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

Also why is Managed payments having so many problems still?  You can’t get your 1099’s right.  They aren’t even close to what my numbers should be.  On top of that you keep screwing up billing.  At what point is eBay going to accept they are a failure at everything they try, and let a real company manage payments again?

-----

Message 5 of 67
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

I still have an unauthorized transaction case stuck in limbo for over a month now.  Is it safe to assume at this point eBay has no intent to honor their seller protections?  This was never a problem with PayPal since they automatically covered this stuff with their seller protections they offered.

@gwzcomps sorry to hear it's taking so long! I would recommend reaching out to the payments team ASAP to see if they can push back. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

Also why is Managed payments having so many problems still?  You can’t get your 1099’s right.  They aren’t even close to what my numbers should be.  On top of that you keep screwing up billing.  At what point is eBay going to accept they are a failure at everything they try, and let a real company manage payments again?

If you're still seeing issues with your 1099 or have any other payment concerns @gwzcomps, we'd encourage you to contact the Payments team directly where they can get into your account with you and provide account specific information. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 7 of 67
latest reply

I suspect the answer to this will be: "I can't tell you that", but I'll give it a try, in the interests of helping ebay understand what "transparency" and "seller engagement" mean to sellers: We just had the "Winter Update" While there's no hard and fast rule about this, it would be nice to know if we are going to have 2, 3 or more "Seller Updates" this year. Can you tell us that? And, if you can, can you at least give us some idea (I don't expect a definite date) of when to expect them?  

Oh, and I'd like to extend my thanks to whoever at ebay decided to give us the one day notice before the Winter Update. While I'd appreciate a longer notice, I do want you to know I appreciated the notice we did get.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here.

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

tyler@ebay  - the issue with fees for lead acid batteries being applied to all items in battery categories bubbled back up again 2 weeks ago.

I understand last week was crazy with the Winter update, but this issue still needs to be addressed - what is eBay going to do for buyers who overpaid tax *and* for sellers who were overcharged FVFs due to this issue?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Overcharged-Tax-on-Battery-Sales/m-p/32670186/highlight/t...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NY-tax-rate-42/m-p/32676817/highlight/true#M1935249 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Ebay-is-charging-over-100-tax-in-South-Carolina-for-button/m-... 

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 9 of 67
latest reply

One of the most common problems sellers are having in reconciling their 1099K numbers is because Ebay uses Payout dates.  The transactions represented in all payouts during 2021 are what will appear on your 1099K.

For example:  Sellers that do Weekly Deposits, the last Payout in 2021 was released on 12/28.  That means that all the other transactions that did not end up on that payout but were in 2021 will appear in your 2022 report.

Not the numbers on the Payout, but the transactions represented in the Payouts.  1099Ks report your Gross Receipts which is the total money that came into your MP account before any refunds or expenses are taken.

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 67
latest reply

@vivabe wrote:

YEAR MANUFACTURED has been recently moved from the Additional Specifics section to the Recommended Specifics section on the listing page for non-topographical postcards (transportation, greetings, holidays, etc.).

It is not possible to enter "n/a" or "unknown". The only option is to leave the box blank or type/guess a date (which could lead to an INAD negative transaction).

Every time I list a non-topographical postcard, the blue wheel does not complete the circle and the listing is added to a list of “items that need update” in seller hub. I already did full updates over the past 2 months for over 2000 postcards.

YEAR MANUFACTURED is still in the Additional Specifics section for topographical postcards where it can be left blank.

My question: Why is “year manufactured” recommended for some postcards and just an option as additional specifics for other postcards.

There is already a Recommended Item Specific box for postcards (topographical & non-topographical) where to enter the ERA (i.e.: divided back 1907-1915, etc.) and this is all we should need for dating postcards.

Hi @vivabe - Recommended Item Specifics can vary based on a number of factors, but an important one is historical buyer behavior. For instance, in a category where we see 'year manufactured' is a commonly used specific buyers are adding to their searches and then make purchases we could make it a recommendation. You are not required to use any recommended item specifics - so if you do not know or it does not apply please just skip that box. 

It's also worth noting that you do not need to fill the blue circle in order for your items to be found in search. I know that there's a lot of desire to (myself included), but it is not necessary.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 67
latest reply

Do you know if we are moving to 4 Seller Updates a year now instead of 2.  I don't even remember if or when we last had a Winter update.  So have we moved to a quarterly update with little to no notice?  Not to mention that we didn't even get a 30 day notice on an increase in fees.

-----

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 67
latest reply

If I get a PM from a mod and click on the link from the header for that mod - will a message get back to that/a mod or does it go into a  not received/monitored black hole?

-----

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

I need to find out why I cannot send my buyer a combined invoice (14 items) with adjusted shipping.  Two days have passed and all I get is a message that something went wrong, try later.  I assured my buyer I could do this for him and now I am embarrassed and basically feel foolish.

I phoned in for help and was told my adjustment was showing & buyer should be able to pay, but buyer only sees a way to pay individually for all the items and he will not do this.   P.S. I did send this type of invoice a couple weeks ago for two items and it wasn't a problem then.   I also fear an inadvertent unpaid cancellation may kick in to humiliate me and anger my buyer further.   I discovered I was opted in to the automatic unpaid cancellation and hope I got it stopped in time.

-----

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I suspect the answer to this will be: "I can't tell you that", but I'll give it a try, in the interests of helping ebay understand what "transparency" and "seller engagement" mean to sellers: We just had the "Winter Update" While there's no hard and fast rule about this, it would be nice to know if we are going to have 2, 3 or more "Seller Updates" this year. Can you tell us that? And, if you can, can you at least give us some idea (I don't expect a definite date) of when to expect them?  

Oh, and I'd like to extend my thanks to whoever at ebay decided to give us the one day notice before the Winter Update. While I'd appreciate a longer notice, I do want you to know I appreciated the notice we did get.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques as you know, once that information is available to us to share, we will share it with you guys. I appreciate the feedback for sure and I'm happy to pass it along!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 15 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: