cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

@fern*wood wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I need to find out why I cannot send my buyer a combined invoice (14 items) with adjusted shipping.  Two days have passed and all I get is a message that something went wrong, try later.  I assured my buyer I could do this for him and now I am embarrassed and basically feel foolish.

I phoned in for help and was told my adjustment was showing & buyer should be able to pay, but buyer only sees a way to pay individually for all the items and he will not do this.   P.S. I did send this type of invoice a couple weeks ago for two items and it wasn't a problem then.   I also fear an inadvertent unpaid cancellation may kick in to humiliate me and anger my buyer further.   I discovered I was opted in to the automatic unpaid cancellation and hope I got it stopped in time.

Based on what you've said here @fern*wood, it sounds like Customer Support already verified that the buyer should be able to pay via the invoice you sent. If they're still saying they can't make the payment for some reason, then I would encourage you to have them work with Customer Support to get the payment made. If a payment never comes through, then you're next best option would be to go the unpaid item cancelation route.  

The invoice never went through.  My buyer never received one at all and the CSR never said one went through.  I have no idea how to tell a buyer to reach help.  It took me over 30 minutes to reach a person myself.   Why will the invoice not work?

Hi @fern*wood! Sorry for my misunderstanding, I was just going off of where you said this, "I phoned in for help and was told my adjustment was showing & buyer should be able to pay". That makes it sound like the invoice did go through and the buyer may be having issues on their end paying for it.

As you know, we can't get into specifics, but I would trust what the CSR told you. If the buyer is having issues contacting support for help getting the invoice paid, you can have them go here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 61 of 67
latest reply

@wooden_flower wrote:

Could you pass on a suggestion to the returns team?  In the return request, where the seller can choose to refund the buyer instead of require return - there should be a confirmation step explaining that they are refunding immediately and not requiring return of the item.  This would help new sellers understand that no return label is going to be issued, so they will not get the item back. It would also give sellers a chance to realize that they clicked the wrong option.

Thanks!

I will pass your suggestion on @wooden_flower!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 62 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I know it is only mid February and the Shipping Team said that they would be updating the Media Mail issue currently go on when creating labels in the Ebay system.  There are categories that are legitimately allowed to be shipped via Media Mail, but we are currently blocked from doing so.

I've emailed the shipping team direct, but getting a response is real hit and miss.  Mostly miss.  I've repeatedly asked when the update will get uploaded and are the categories I've reported to them in that update, but still no answer to either question.

tyler@ebay have you had any more success than I have had?

Hi @mam98031 - the last I got from them was this:

Based on feedback from the Seller forum earlier this month there are additional questions for the Shipping team to resolve to ensure that we are in compliance with the USPS' definition of Media Mail. While the feedback given about Media Mail not being allowed for all Crafts patterns was duly noted, it raised the question of why we allow Media Mail for any patterns.

A decision is pending and the outcome will be determined before the next Media Mail category update scheduled for early April.  At this time, we're aware that Media Mail isn't offered in the following Crafts categories for patterns: 

Crafts:Needlecrafts & Yarn:Embroidery & Cross Stitch:Hand Embroidery Kits:Other Hand Embroidery Kits 
Crafts:Needlecrafts & Yarn:Embroidery & Cross Stitch:Hand Embr Patterns & Magazines:Cross Stitch Patterns 
Crafts:Needlecrafts & Yarn:Crocheting & Knitting:Patterns-Contemporary

Tyler,
eBay
Message 63 of 67
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

Thanks - it does have that response box available, I just wasn't sure if the messages actually go back to the mods or not.

It does @glgenterprise - they may not always reply (depending on the content of your message) but it does go back to them!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 64 of 67
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

And one more that does not need a response, but if the feedback could be passed on to the payments team that we really need access to invoices older than 90 days that would be great, unless I am confused as to where to find this information.

Hi @glgenterprise@mr_lincoln did a great post about this here. The good news is that you can see more than 90-days back!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 65 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

One of the most common problems sellers are having in reconciling their 1099K numbers is because Ebay uses Payout dates.  The transactions represented in all payouts during 2021 are what will appear on your 1099K.

For example:  Sellers that do Weekly Deposits, the last Payout in 2021 was released on 12/28.  That means that all the other transactions that did not end up on that payout but were in 2021 will appear in your 2022 report.

Not the numbers on the Payout, but the transactions represented in the Payouts.  1099Ks report your Gross Receipts which is the total money that came into your MP account before any refunds or expenses are taken.

Hi @mam98031! ***I just wanted to clarify that we go off the date the buyer paid. It's not the date of sale or the payout issued to the seller. I reached out to the Payments team to verify this once more, and they said per this help page here (the source of truth for the 1099-K form 😉) it's stated that we use the payment transactions within the calendar year. 

You're spot on that we don't include sales tax we automatically collected, refunds, etc. (also noted in the help page for anyone wanting to know more). Thanks for your interest in all things Payments and for doing what you can to help other sellers. It's appreciated!!!

Edit to add: ***We've since gotten clarification that this statement was originally incorrect. The accurate information is that we go off the date the funds settle to eBay, not necessarily when funds are received by sellers. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 66 of 67
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I also want to thank you guys for my video upload.....it took ten days, but after you put in a ticket, it went live pretty quickly. I've seen some posts about people having trouble getting to videos to load recently (I haven't tried it lately), but can I suggest that ebay set up a specific flow for video issues?  Instead of just contacting Customer Service?  There doesn't seem to be any particular protocol for video issues.....videos taking too long, for example...and I've yet to see any info on what process ebay will use to notify us if a video is rejected?

These sorts of things should be in place by now. Please pass this on to the proper team.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I sent this to the teams involved and they messaged me back to indicate that the backlog has been worked through and that currently the vast majority of videos are being approved within that 24-48 hour timeframe, with nearly all others being approved 'shortly thereafter'. 

Your experience was an unusual one, but they are working with CS to make sure that there is an escalation pathway available for teammates to use to report videos that haven't been reviewed after that 48 hour time frame. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 67 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: