cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY tax rate 42%?

I just got an order from LONG ISLAND CITY, NY , and eBay charge 42% tax on this transaction ?

Is this for real ?  item sell for $64, tax is $27 , make it total $92 ?????

If this is a mistake, eBay is really desperate for cash flow now ... crazy enough to randomly pump up sales tax to accommodate their income  .. ,....... unbelievable !!!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

NY tax rate 42%?

@knnpin wrote:

I just got an order from LONG ISLAND CITY, NY , and eBay charge 42% tax on this transaction ?

Is this for real ?  item sell for $64, tax is $27 , make it total $92 ?????

If this is a mistake, eBay is really desperate for cash flow now ... crazy enough to randomly pump up sales tax to accommodate their income  .. ,....... unbelievable !!!

It has got to be a mistake, the highest sales tax in NY state is 8.875%

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

Is it for a "battery" of some sorts.

some batteries have disposal surcharge, or something like that.

tax is based on delivery address.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

My first thought was also the erroneous battery tax issue. Were you attempting to purchase batteries @knnpin?

Edit: I do believe this is related. Assuming you sold 2 of your "Large Capacity 4720mAh Standard Battery Screwdriver Tool for OnePlus 7 Pro Phone" listed in the Cell Phone --> batteries category to a buyer in NY.

@valueaddedresource 

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

@wastingtime101 wrote:

My first thought was also the erroneous battery tax issue. Were you attempting to purchase batteries @knnpin?

Edit: I do believe this is related. Assuming you sold 2 of your "Large Capacity 4720mAh Standard Battery Screwdriver Tool for OnePlus 7 Pro Phone" listed in the Cell Phone --> batteries category to a buyer in NY.

@valueaddedresource 

Thanks for the tag @wastingtime101 !

@knnpin  if it is the erroneous battery tax issue, when it happened before they were charging the fee on a per-item basis, so if there was more than one battery in the order, it's likely eBay is adding $5 per battery for an order shipped to New York.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Overcharged-Tax-on-Battery-Sales/td-p/31458236 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

If you want a nice overview of the issue @knnpin, you can check out the article posted at valueaddedresource.net today.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

No, this order is not even batteries, it's just chargers, ..... 

This is obviously an error .....  I heard this issue couple of days ago from other sellers, and now it shows up on mine .. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

@knnpin wrote:

No, this order is not even batteries, it's just chargers, ..... 

This is obviously an error .....  I heard this issue couple of days ago from other sellers, and now it shows up on mine .. 

@knnpin  what category are they listed in? When this happened previously, it was affecting entire categories - I even saw a plastic battery storage box that was charged the extra fee, even though there was no battery included, just because of the category it was in.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

Was it one of these listings?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Batteries/20357/m.html?_ssn=knnpin&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sac=1&_nkw=charger 

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

I wonder what they charge you if you sell a used Tesla to somebody in NY. 😀

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

No, something like this , a regular charger

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174136387849?hash=item288b566909:g:2fkAAOSwZDxd9gOx

Not even a battery, 42% sale tax to NY buyer, unbelievable !

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

Yep. It's the battery tax error rearing its ugly head because the listing is in this category:

Cell Phones & Accessories>Cell Phone Accessories>Batteries

You should change the category for any charger listings in that category to:

Cell Phones & Accessories > Cell Phone Accessories > Chargers & Cradles

It's going to be a huge PITA because of item specifics, but there are ways to handle it in bulk with CSV files that's manageable if you're willing to deal with the learning curve.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

@knnpin wrote:

The listing you linked to DOES include a battery!

slippinjimmy_0-1644104724772.png

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

Plus the listing is in the Cell Phone -> Batteries category!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

NY tax rate 42%?

@knnpin wrote:

@knnpin  thanks for that info - that listing is in Cell Phones & Accessories>Cell Phone Accessories>Batteries.

Using that as a hypothetical, if someone bought 4 of those -

$15.75 x 4 = $63

$5 battery fee x 4 = $20

$63+$20 = $83 x 8.87% =$7.37 sales tax

$63 + ($20 + $7.30) = $90.37

2022-02-05_18-54-35.jpg

So we can see with that as an example, it could get close to what you saw on that order.

As the seller, you are being charged FVF on the total including sales tax which means you were overcharged on your fees too.

I'm going to tag tyler@ebay  because I am 99.9999% what you are seeing is that same erroneous battery fee issue.  It is only supposed to apply to lead acid car batteries, but eBay appears to be applying it to all battery categories.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply