cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Why is eBay not reaching back to the beginning of 2022 for the new “improved” reports? It is unfortunate that the monthly transactions reports will not be month-aligned until April 2022. That means that the reports will not be helpful for 2022 tax reporting without sophisticated analysis to split the January report into 2021 and 2022 portions. Sales reports which are more structured cannot be used for tax purposes unless sales paid in a different year are accounted for. I wish that Managed Payments payout detail reports totaled gross income, final value fees, monthly and insertion fees, postage, refunds, holds, and other categories not in the list to enable sellers to enter rolled up amounts into an accounting system and balance the checking account linked to Managed Payments. Foreign currency entries should be converted or summarized separately if gross revenue is not included in the seller's 1099-K. Time spent resolving payout accounting is time lost for creating new listings or fulfilling orders.

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

I know it is only mid February and the Shipping Team said that they would be updating the Media Mail issue currently go on when creating labels in the Ebay system.  There are categories that are legitimately allowed to be shipped via Media Mail, but we are currently blocked from doing so.

I've emailed the shipping team direct, but getting a response is real hit and miss.  Mostly miss.  I've repeatedly asked when the update will get uploaded and are the categories I've reported to them in that update, but still no answer to either question.

tyler@ebay have you had any more success than I have had?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 67
latest reply

Thanks - it does have that response box available, I just wasn't sure if the messages actually go back to the mods or not.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 48 of 67
latest reply

Your support us poorly trained and useless.  I can't get a consistent answer from them.  Your people are just there to get your paying users off the phone as fast as possible.

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

thank you!  i couldn't think of the term you guys use for that since i am just now encountering it.  yes, indeed, that is what i was referring to.  i'm thinking that tyler@ebay had figured out that's what i meant, but if not, hopefully he will give further instructions.

ok, but then...

1) why should we have to go through that process every 30 days if we have never had any limits previously and never any problems?  and

2) what are the chances that they say it's high enough or cannot raise it fast enough to compensate for a new listing?

this is all speculative, and may never be an issue... but prices are crazy in that category.

@c.b. you'll have to work with the limits team to get these specifics, it all depends on the account and there are many factors. They will also go over the best way to avoid any limits going forward as well! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

velvet@ebay  Well, it is some consolation. 

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

And one more that does not need a response, but if the feedback could be passed on to the payments team that we really need access to invoices older than 90 days that would be great, unless I am confused as to where to find this information.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

thank you!  i couldn't think of the term you guys use for that since i am just now encountering it.  yes, indeed, that is what i was referring to.  i'm thinking that tyler@ebay had figured out that's what i meant, but if not, hopefully he will give further instructions.

ok, but then...

1) why should we have to go through that process every 30 days if we have never had any limits previously and never any problems?  and

2) what are the chances that they say it's high enough or cannot raise it fast enough to compensate for a new listing?

this is all speculative, and may never be an issue... but prices are crazy in that category.

You are welcome.  Glad I could help.  The link I gave you in my last post to you will take your right to where you can ask for an increase online.  Do it every 30 days.  Here is the link again.

Request assistance (ebay.com)

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 53 of 67
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

I get how this program works, and why it exists.  Why is eBay trying to discourage buyers from buying stuff on the site though?  I was gonna send this offer, but I'm not trusting eBay to store my credit card info on the buying side of things.  I trust eBay to handle my stored payment info about as much as I trust used toilet paper in a rest stop.

FLqdZ56XsAEAZib.png

Hi @gwzcomps  - this was recently announced in the Winter Seller Update (link here) as a tool Sellers can utilize to reduce unpaid items on Best Offers they receive, with plans to expand it to other types of offers throughout the year. 

You are under no obligation to purchase items from Sellers who use this feature to reduce their risk, which I know you're aware of. I'll make sure to pass your sentiments on this feature along. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 54 of 67
latest reply

I will take the lack of a response as acknowledgement you don't wish to honor your protections.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

I get emails saying I owe money but I don't owe money so can't make a payment. Then my account is restricted and then suspended. Have been going in circles for 3 weeks now.

----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I see the adsteam has just posted a blog post about ebay auctions (and, of course, ebay's PL Express). This is probably another of those question you will tell me you can't answer, but I'll try anyway (hope springs eternal): Is ebay  (as the original online auction site) giving any consideration to catching up with the times by enabling live video auctions for sellers?  This sort of thing is available on a number of sites/apps, and from what I can tell, is rapidly growing in popularity. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you twice today @my-cottage-books-and-antiques but I've not heard anything about live video auctions. If it's picking up steam elsewhere though, you never know what will happen. In the meantime, you can go here and submit the request/suggestion via the Selling link. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 57 of 67
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week. It's now closed from further replies but we will continue to work through and reply to questions that remain. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 58 of 67
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Is there a team at eBay that is responsible for seller services? I have seen posts here that suggest that the Payments Team is responsible for financial reporting. If so, who advocates for sellers or is responsible for identifying issues that could interfere with seller tax compliance? Before the "crowd" suggested that eBay deduct expenses form Managed Payments payouts, it was easily possible to identify income from eBay and fees paid to eBay. Now, is anyone interested in helping sellers capture accounting data from eBay or helping sellers file correct tax returns?

How many sellers have enough skill to download Payments Reports and extract accounting information from the data in the csv files from eBay? How many sellers have time to add up and manually enter payout report data into some accounting system to keep their accounting up to date? Where has eBay been when wildly incorrect statements about the tax consequences of new 1099-K reporting requirements.

How difficult would it be for eBay to publish a guide for non-business sellers who may receive a 1099-K for household items or collectibles sold for less than the original purchase price or how to enter expenses associated with such sales? Why not also publish a guide for Schedule C sellers?

Are less experienced sellers able to correctly fill out a schedule C? Suggestions from the “crowd” to comingle payout with expenses does not bode well. Is it possible to total eBay payouts for the year, ignoring deducted expenses, and get to the correct bottom line for the year? What happens if the return is audited because reported income did not match the 1099-K? How many sellers would like to be audited, perhaps hiring a lawyer, only to find out that there was no change to income?

What about sellers required to report sales taxes monthly? Some states require that sales tax by Market Facilitators be reported and then deducted in the sales tax return. How do sellers of consigned items on eBay efficiently track sales and expenses for reporting either when payments or received or perhaps monthly? How much time should a seller be required to invest in tracking eBay sales and expenses? Is eBay interested in making the process more efficient and give sellers more time to create new listings?

My estimate is that two or more hours may be required to balance a complex payout containing ten to twenty orders because of the time required to manually convert eBay data into useable payment and expense information. Sales reports from eBay are better but do not identify items sold and paid in different months. Does anyone at eBay have responsibility for facilitating efficient seller accounting? If so, who?

Hey there @clarkphilatelics 

There's not a specific place to go for "seller services" if a member is having any trouble with their reporting it would be best to reach out to payments to have them walk you through the process. I'm happy to relay any feedback you have for sure. For tax filing specific questions it would be best to work with a local tax professional to go over those details. Sellers are able to download monthly reports as well to help in situations where they need it monthly. There are also many third party tax tools available to help as well for online tax reporting. Thanks for your time! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

@theodetic wrote:

I get emails saying I owe money but I don't owe money so can't make a payment. Then my account is restricted and then suspended. Have been going in circles for 3 weeks now.

Hey there @theodetic sorry to hear you're running into this! If you're on social media you can reach out on Twitter or Facebook so they can take a deep dive. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 60 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: