cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED** Malware - hit 3 times from ebay seller page.

I'm posting this here because I cannot find any way to actually contact ebay. The problem: there is some malware being generated by some of their ads that create a pop-up screen saying "YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED". It makes it look like it is coming from Micorsoft and gives you a number to call to "fix" the problem. If you try to close it out, a voice comes over your speakers saying "Your computer has been blocked." You can get rid of it by just closing out the tab or browser, but I am afraid there are people that will fall for the ploy and actually call the number. Can someone, somewhere, please tell the technical folks at ebay that some of their ads are infected with malware? I don't know how to do it.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Any screenshot of what it looks like?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Some of these ads are simply the same as yelling FIRE in a crowded room. They are trying to scare you into looking at their products.

This same tactic is also happening on mobile devices, and not only on eBay related pages.

These mis-behaving advertisements have been pointed out to eBay.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Are you running Malwarebytes, or some other similar software, at least once a week? Are you using an adblocker? It's not always ebay's fault
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Got the same thing the other day.  Locked up my browser.  Had to close and restart.  Ran scans, nothing showed up as a problem on my computer.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

same here 3 times
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

On two different occasions I got a  pop up screen with technical looking data and audio that froze the computer. I could not escape or close the browser. Complete freeze.  I had to unplug the power and remove the battery (laptop). Virus scan revealed nothing.

It's a female voice with a British accent, making a variety of threats if the number is not called (supposedly technical dept of Microsoft.) I couldn't be sure what triggered the pop-up, but I think it was after clicking a "sponsored" listing.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I would install AdBlockPlus for your browser. Google it.

eBay is continually updating this site. Some advice given may have changed. Please reply to this thread, to let us know if this advice works for you. The links on the bottom of any eBay page can help you deal with most eBay issues. Contact eBay Customer Service on Facebook.com/eBay or Twitter.com/AskeBay
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Yes it is on EBAY! I work on pc's for a living! Happened to me at least twice lately. So I loaded a virgin PC up with windows clean just to test and visited EBAY and started clicking on a few of the ad's on EBAY. LOW & BEHOLD it happened again. EBAY YOUR SITE IS ALLOWING INFECTED AD'S CLEAN UP YOUR ACT!
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I have had this same problem recently as well on e-bay. I have run virus scans but found nothing.  I am convinced it is on the web site rather than my computer.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I've been trying to get into e-bay all day and this has been happening. Could it be b/c I cancelled my Prime membership this morning? This reeks of Jeff Bezos. 🙂

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I think this calls for ebay to give itself a defect.  One more defect and we all get no fees for 90 days.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I do not get this on my computer. I have AdBlock installed.

Wife has had this on her computer twice that I know of.  No AdBlock

She was not on eBay when it occured.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

have run virus scans but found nothing

Malware is not a virus and some virus programs don't look for it, so they don't find it.

Here's a free Malware Program that will check for it......  I use it and it's often mentioned as reliable on this and other boards:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I'm using Malwarebytes and have add blocker on firefox it is my browser. It flashes that alert when I try to go to ebay.

It does not do it in Explorer though, so I cant get around it in Firefox but can In Explorer?

I don't know how to beat it with my Firefox and Malwarebytes doesn't find anything ?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply