cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedex Labels will not automatically adjust to fit paper

For the past week or so Fedex labels will not adjust to fit my labels. I have tried making adjustments on my end, but they will only print as portrait. 

Because of this every Fedex label is now using two labels instead of one because it is printing into the second label on each sheet. This is wasteful and adds to my cost. 

Browser used is Google Chrome. 

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

OK thanks for the clarification.  Here is a link to the thread where Trinton acknowledges the the problem and major change of label printer vendor software fix in in the works.  It is from April 2019.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/2019-New-shipping-Label-page-FedEX-label-FAIL/m-p/297...

See posts 11, 14, 15 and others in that thread.   It does seem there would be more pushback if everybody had the problem, but maybe they have just gotten used to it or give up?  Many in 29715547#M55888 had the problem and is guess, live with the workaround. 

I would say that in Chrome or Edge or IE I do get the exact correct 1/2 sheet for USPS labels.  But not for FedEx.

@rfmtm wrote:

@babclassics  Yes, I understand your "fix" will work, but I am trying to see what the underlying cause of the problem is.  Likely it is ebay, but sometimes something else that might fix or make is better is at the user's end.

My problem now is, I still get the standard half sheet label, that prints fine without adjustment.  Obviously many others are too, or the boards would be flooded with complaints.  There are a few other threads about this problem, but nothing that appears widespread.

Since you are seeing a completely different label format it is likely an ebay issue.  Maybe you have been opted in to some beta program and have to suffer the consequences.  It does appear ebay is aware of some users having this problem, but I haven't seen any further comment about it or even a clear acknowledgement there is a problem.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

This problem seems to keep popping up.  I just opened a FedEx label and it is fine.  However, I am opening it with Adobe.  Since you are using Chrome, it is likely the browser is using its built in reader and not Adobe, as Chrome can be a pain to set and keep set to Adobe.  In fact you probably will have to Google the latest way to do it.  Likely this is your problem.

Just to see if this is the problem.  Save the label PDF file, then open it external of the browser using Adobe, and see if that prints correctly.  If not, come back, and you can send me the file to examine.

As of last night 8/5 the FedEx label is still in the wrong orientation in Chrome. Saving the label and opening in adobe had no effect the label was still in the wrong orientation on the page.

@Anonymous Any chance this will ever get fixed?

Hi @dtexley3, just wanted to touch base and clarify that this is not a technical issue, simply a process that could use some enhancements. The short version is that the layout of these labels is determined by the way we are able to access FedEx's system. We've have already requested the third party to make changes that would adjust the orientation as the Community has asked, but we cannot make these changes ourselves. In the meantime, seller's can use the following steps to adjust the label orientation in Google Chrome (steps in other browsers are similar, so the steps outlined below can be used as a guide for adjustments in the browser of your choice): 

• On the label printing page select "change format” in the buy box

change_format.png

• Select “PNG” option then save

PNG_and_save.jpg

• Generate label as normal then adjust print settings to landscape layout and scale label appropriately so it looks correct (this is browser specific but below is how I set these in Chrome. Chrome also has options to set custom margins if required)

Layout_and_scale.jpg

Again, we agree that delays in enhancements for an integral part of your business is not ideal, but since we do not directly determine how a label is generated (and instead have to rely on a third party to generate the format), we cannot immediately make changes and instead must wait for our requests to be implemented. We don't have an estimated implementation date for adjustments and can only suggest the above steps as a workaround.

With all of the above in mind, changes have been made over the past few months and I want to get some examples of what everyone is seeing/what they would like to see. Screenshots would be required, just be sure to remove any actual personal information before posting them here.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Well I guess that is the official word, it is a problem.  However, if a FedEx issue, why is it only on ebay?  All the other sites that support FedEx label printing do not have this issue.  At least not any that I use, including the FedEx website.

Looks like trinton's workaround is a reasonable workaround for now and produces more of a full size label.  Would be nice if in the end if the format supported not only half sheet printing, but label printers using the 4"x6" labels as well.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@Anonymous Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that FedEx would fail to correct an API issue for several days, much less months.  I don't think the information being given out by the team responsible is accurate.  It should be completely unacceptable for these types of bugs to be allowed to linger for weeks and months.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 19 of 51
latest reply

@dtexley3  I agree, especially if this is not a problem on other sites that print FedEx shipping labels with no issues.  Why is it always just ebay that has a problem? 

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that FedEx would fail to correct an API issue for several days, much less months.  I don't think the information being given out by the team responsible is accurate.  It should be completely unacceptable for these types of bugs to be allowed to linger for weeks and months.

Hi @dtexley3, the third party that is used to access FedEx's API is the one that would be making changes, not FedEx themselves. Additionally, as I stated previously, many changes have already been implemented since this was first reported, so I need more detail from our Community regarding what they are experiencing so I can pass along any necessary requests for additional enhancements.

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

Same thing is happening on my end with Fed Ex labels defaulting to Portrait size setting which takes up two labels.

I just printed using a USPS label and all is fine.....hummm.....this never happened until eBay removed the old Classic View settings in shipping.

Still waiting on a solution.

Thanks,

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Agreed, 8/25 and still broken.  I would think after 5 months the api vendor would have fixed an error like this.  

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

Agreed, 8/25 and still broken.  I would think after 5 months the api vendor would have fixed an error like this.  

Hi @dtexley3, as I mentioned before changes have been made in the last 5 months. I need an example of what is being seen currently to make additional requests. I'm not able to get the changes you are looking for without an example to share with the appropriate teams.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Hi @dtexley3, as I mentioned before changes have been made in the last 5 months. I need an example of what is being seen currently to make additional requests. I'm not able to get the changes you are looking for without an example to share with the appropriate teams.

@Anonymous What needs to be shared?  The orientation on the FedEx labels is still wrong.  Anything I "share" will not differ from any of the screen shots above.

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous What needs to be shared?  The orientation on the FedEx labels is still wrong.  Anything I "share" will not differ from any of the screen shots above.

Hi @dtexley3, I am sorry that we are having difficulty getting on the same page. When I say that I need an example for this situation, I am referring to an item number. Screenshots are fine for many situations, and I appreciate that they have been provided in this conversation, but I need an item number to test out the label printing process on my end. Anyone on the thread is welcome to share this with me, it is not a request directed specifically at yourself. I look forward to getting an example from someone here so I can work on any necessary changes. The OP mentioned that this has been occurring only recently, confirming that this is not the same issue that was discussed this past spring - while it may have the same appearance, if this was the exact same issue then it wouldn't be something that someone would have seen "this past week".

The best comparison I can make is that sometimes our car gets a flat tire, we replace that tire, and then months later the same tire goes flat. It isn't the same flat as earlier, even though it may look the same. The cause can be different, and the fix may be different even if the problem can be described in the same way.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

Hi Trinton,
Here is an item number from a FedEx label that was printed today 8/27/2019 having the same issues 123877106197
Message 27 of 51
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

So sad part is old system worked fine, the NEW improved system is only costing ebay sellers time and money.  like the fact is opens 3 windows to do what old system did in 1 to be able to print a label for Fedex or USPS. then we have to play click to close all these windows..

Simple fix for Ebay would be to reinstate the classic printing option till the proper fix to new system for Fedex can be done !

Sellers wasting time trying to print Fedex labels for what was a very simple thing to do in past. Like we could be spending more time listing items instead of more time printing labels ! = more sellers fee's to Ebay we know there money hungry so not sure how this has gone on for 5 months

My work around which is the easiest (still sad it has to be done) we print a label for USPS on half a 2 label per sheet page and save the other for a Fedex label. We then simply fold the sheet down to a 8.5 and stick label in printer as a 8.5x8.5 to print a fedex sticky label on the one side with a label still and with no tape or wasted labels can print a wrong orientation label . Again still sad we have to do this on a broken system that replaced a perfectly working system !

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@s10warehouse wrote:

So sad part is old system worked fine, the NEW improved system is only costing ebay sellers time and money.  like the fact is opens 3 windows to do what old system did in 1 to be able to print a label for Fedex or USPS. then we have to play click to close all these windows..

Simple fix for Ebay would be to reinstate the classic printing option till the proper fix to new system for Fedex can be done !

Sellers wasting time trying to print Fedex labels for what was a very simple thing to do in past. Like we could be spending more time listing items instead of more time printing labels ! = more sellers fee's to Ebay we know there money hungry so not sure how this has gone on for 5 months

My work around which is the easiest (still sad it has to be done) we print a label for USPS on half a 2 label per sheet page and save the other for a Fedex label. We then simply fold the sheet down to a 8.5 and stick label in printer as a 8.5x8.5 to print a fedex sticky label on the one side with a label still and with no tape or wasted labels can print a wrong orientation label . Again still sad we have to do this on a broken system that replaced a perfectly working system !

Hi @s10warehouse, I've passed along the feedback from this discussion to our Shipping Teams and they are on the same page with you about the changes that are needed. I do want to clarify that the new shipping label experience is unrelated to the details you have outlined - the way FedEx labels format is determined by the third party we contract with to obtain these labels and is not a result of the new shipping label page. As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, we are working with them to make the adjustments requested here. I won't be able to provide an estimated time frame for adjustments to be implemented since we do not program how these labels format ourselves.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply