cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not using PayPal anymore?

I got a message from eBay saying to update my account details.

"It’s now simpler to get paid on eBay

Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

I primarily just tend to leave all the money I receive in my PayPal, so I wanted to ask for clarification: does this mean sellers can no longer use PayPal as a means of payment? We have to store the money in a bank account now?

I also saw something saying eBay raised their fees. Is that also true? 

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 1 of 496
latest reply
495 REPLIES 495

Re: eBay not using PayPal anymore?

@sethen320 wrote:

Do you get paid per hour, post, or are you a salary employee for EBay?

Nope.  I have certain times I'm available to be on the threads and certain times I'm not.  Just because you don't like what I post or in your opinion I post more than you'd like to see, there is no need to get snotty.  Just ignore my posts if they annoy you.

@sethen320 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 151 of 496
latest reply

Likewise.

Message 152 of 496
latest reply

@sethen320 wrote:

Likewise.

That isn't necessary.  You are the one that came here to sling mud at me.  I have no need to do that.

Message 153 of 496
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

payments_team@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@ultramed wrote:

I tried purchasing an item on eBay and PayPal was not an option, only PayPal credit or credit card. I have lots of money in my PayPal account. I was very disappointed. 

payments_team@ebay 

When a buyer tries to submit payment via cash in their PP account, is this an issue for MP?

While this poster wasn't asking, while we are on the subject.  What if a buyer wants to use PP to issue an Echeck?  Is that allowed in MP and if so how is it handled?

Hi @mam98031 - There's no issue when a buyer uses their PayPal balance to purchase via managed payments. 

When it comes to echecks: When eBay manages payments and buyers pay via PayPal, only instant transfer is accepted. This means when a buyer pays via bank funding in their PayPal account, they must have a backup funding instrument on file. This also means the transaction is cleared and will not change status later or in the event the buyer doesn’t have sufficient funds in their bank account.

payments_team@ebay 

Thank you so much for that clarification.  Just one more for you.  So buyers aren't allowed to pay with a Debit Card or CC via PP?  

@mam98031 Debit and credit cards should be fine so long as they are the funding source in PayPal and they are instant transfer.

For account specific Payments support please request contact from a payments-trained teammate by accessing any of the Help Pages related to payments and using the 'Have us call you' feature at the bottom of the page
Message 154 of 496
latest reply

Nah, there is a whole new and improved system called Managed Payments. You give ebay everything but your first born, let them have access to all your money in the bank, and then wait a week before they pay you. The best part is that they can snatch money out of your bank account, whenever they want. They don't have to wait a week for their money, that's just the rules for you. It's a great system!

Message 155 of 496
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@ultramed wrote:

I tried purchasing an item on eBay and PayPal was not an option, only PayPal credit or credit card. I have lots of money in my PayPal account. I was very disappointed. 

payments_team@ebay 

When a buyer tries to submit payment via cash in their PP account, is this an issue for MP?

While this poster wasn't asking, while we are on the subject.  What if a buyer wants to use PP to issue an Echeck?  Is that allowed in MP and if so how is it handled?

Hi @mam98031 - There's no issue when a buyer uses their PayPal balance to purchase via managed payments. 

When it comes to echecks: When eBay manages payments and buyers pay via PayPal, only instant transfer is accepted. This means when a buyer pays via bank funding in their PayPal account, they must have a backup funding instrument on file. This also means the transaction is cleared and will not change status later or in the event the buyer doesn’t have sufficient funds in their bank account.

payments_team@ebay 

Thank you so much for that clarification.  Just one more for you.  So buyers aren't allowed to pay with a Debit Card or CC via PP?  

@mam98031 Debit and credit cards should be fine so long as they are the funding source in PayPal and they are instant transfer.

That is an interesting way to word that.  Instant transfers when PP is involved, the way I understand that, it comes from the money the member has in their PP account or for members with personal accounts, it would pull from their cash account held at Wells Fargo I believe.  CCs are not instant transfers, they are just normal CC transactions.  PLEASE correct me where I misunderstand.  I would appreciate that.

Message 156 of 496
latest reply

@smash.scottconnell wrote:

Nah, there is a whole new and improved system called Managed Payments. You give ebay everything but your first born, let them have access to all your money in the bank, and then wait a week before they pay you. The best part is that they can snatch money out of your bank account, whenever they want. They don't have to wait a week for their money, that's just the rules for you. It's a great system!

Yes because Ebay has just been lying in wait so they can snatch your money!  Honestly some people talk like Ebay that is 25+ years old is a fly by night company.  I get it you don't like MP.  You have EVERY RIGHT not to like MP and to not sign up for it.  But just throwing out serious accusations like that isn't your right.  

You don't have to have any reason at all for not going into MP other than you just decided you did not want to.   I don't understand your need to start some gossip or make such assumptions.  So unnecessary.

Message 157 of 496
latest reply

I'll help you out on this one 🙂 about the contract date between e-bay and paypal .

its called google , and read " eBay and PayPal today confirmed the signing of a previously-announced agreement to offer PayPal as a way to pay on eBay until July 2023. " 

The way i see it , e-bay wants paypal cut .

Message 158 of 496
latest reply

Your right mam98031 , ebay isn't a fly by night company ! they are a market place , a place to buy and sell and they are the middle man . i think they should have started a different company to handle the money side if they wish just that , BUT  should have let the sellers and buyers choose who they would like to handle the money .

and as i said paypal/ebay contract ends july 2023 , and i think ebay should offer both methods of payment . 

myself i do also have 4 different sites i sell from . i except payment via paypal on all of them . 

as i said e-bay is a market place , paypal is more of a bank . thats what paypal does . and i don't have to wait to use that money and so simple to have it transfered into my account . guess after years of using paypal we got a trust thing going on . i did notice on this MP thing from ebay they wanted my SIN number !!!! ( yes im Canadian 🙂 . i would never nor did i have to give it it paypal !! ( and don't feel comfortable with giving them my banking info ) so guess i won't be selling on ebay anymore and if sellers can't use paypal as a way to pay ,guess ill be leaving ebay after years on here .hope you all the best and even better 2021 ( 2020 sucked !) 

Matter of Choice  

Message 159 of 496
latest reply

@123byteme wrote:

I'll help you out on this one 🙂 about the contract date between e-bay and paypal .

its called google , and read " eBay and PayPal today confirmed the signing of a previously-announced agreement to offer PayPal as a way to pay on eBay until July 2023. " 

The way i see it , e-bay wants paypal cut .

That is a different contract that they signed in April of 2018.  This contract extension just keeps everything rolling with PP on the site like they have for years.  The contract insures that buyers will be able to use PP on the site at least through 2023 and that any sellers that aren't in MP can use PP as their processor.  This is not an unusual contract for Ebay and PP to have.  Likely as 2023 grows near there will be yet another one to take its place.

@123byteme 

Message 160 of 496
latest reply

@123byteme wrote:

Your right mam98031 , ebay isn't a fly by night company ! they are a market place , a place to buy and sell and they are the middle man . i think they should have started a different company to handle the money side if they wish just that , BUT  should have let the sellers and buyers choose who they would like to handle the money .

and as i said paypal/ebay contract ends july 2023 , and i think ebay should offer both methods of payment . 

myself i do also have 4 different sites i sell from . i except payment via paypal on all of them . 

as i said e-bay is a market place , paypal is more of a bank . thats what paypal does . and i don't have to wait to use that money and so simple to have it transfered into my account . guess after years of using paypal we got a trust thing going on . i did notice on this MP thing from ebay they wanted my SIN number !!!! ( yes im Canadian 🙂 . i would never nor did i have to give it it paypal !! ( and don't feel comfortable with giving them my banking info ) so guess i won't be selling on ebay anymore and if sellers can't use paypal as a way to pay ,guess ill be leaving ebay after years on here .hope you all the best and even better 2021 ( 2020 sucked !) 

Matter of Choice  

@123byteme 

I'm unsure why so many are holding Ebay to different standards than the rest of the industry.  It really is something I don't understand.  Etsy, Amazon, Mercari, Poshmark, Offerup, etc. all have their own money processing programs and have for years.  Ebay is just the last to join the club.

None of those sites let a seller choose, at least not the small sellers.  Etsy has almost the exact same program using the same money processor that Ebay does.  

PP is NOT a bank and they never have been.

You have the right to make the choice.  I wish you well in whatever you do.

Message 161 of 496
latest reply

yes,im far from happy with this new move from Ebay.i,like many others. use the funds from my sales in paypal.to buy things I want. it was quick and easy.no problems..this way you have to wait for your money to go into your bank account which can take a few days..that item will be gone...seems to me this idea is being aimed at big sellers... the small buyer/seller,is losing out massively.i can see many many people going elsewhere to sell.....bad move on ebays part!.

Message 162 of 496
latest reply

Hi again mam98031 ,when i checked my messages at e-bay i was simply told that if i wanted to keep on selling on e-bay i have to update my account and if i don't i can not sell on e-bay after the end of the month ! 

Here what i received ...

We’ve changed how you get paid.

eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

This means:

·          

You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay. We will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation.

·          

·          

Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted. No more PayPal payments processing fees or separate monthly fee payments.

·          

·          

Most sellers will pay the same or less than before*

Learn more here.

Update your account details by February 23rd, or your ability to create new listings will be disabled. Please disregard this email if you’ve already updated your account details.

So even you should be able to see , ether i go with this MP type payment or i will be banned from selling on e-bay anyways !! SO if everyone got the same letter , don't it make sense that if you want to sell you HAVE to use MP and not PP !! you still i think can use paypal for buying ( but e-bay does not get a cut from the buyer , just the seller ) Its very plain e-bay wants what sellers pay paypal . You said above " The contract insures that buyers will be able to use PP on the site at least through 2023 and that any sellers that aren't in MP can use PP as their processor. " AGAIN you (seller ) can not make a listing after Feb 23 of 2021 if you don't have a MP account . its in black and white . 

Message 163 of 496
latest reply

@123byteme wrote:

You said above " The contract insures that buyers will be able to use PP on the site at least through 2023 and that any sellers that aren't in MP can use PP as their processor. " AGAIN you (seller ) can not make a listing after Feb 23 of 2021 if you don't have a MP account . its in black and white . 

Everyone DID NOT get the same letter. eBay isn't moving everyone on February 23rd, but they ARE moving YOU on February 23rd. My letter was for February 1st; lots of sellers haven't gotten the letter yet, and won't for months.

None of that affects PayPal's availability for BUYERS to pay for their items.

Message 164 of 496
latest reply

@123byteme wrote:

Hi again mam98031 ,when i checked my messages at e-bay i was simply told that if i wanted to keep on selling on e-bay i have to update my account and if i don't i can not sell on e-bay after the end of the month ! 

Here what i received ...

We’ve changed how you get paid.

eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

This means:

·          

You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay. We will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation.

·          

·          

Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted. No more PayPal payments processing fees or separate monthly fee payments.

·          

·          

Most sellers will pay the same or less than before*

Learn more here.

Update your account details by February 23rd, or your ability to create new listings will be disabled. Please disregard this email if you’ve already updated your account details.

So even you should be able to see , ether i go with this MP type payment or i will be banned from selling on e-bay anyways !! SO if everyone got the same letter , don't it make sense that if you want to sell you HAVE to use MP and not PP !! you still i think can use paypal for buying ( but e-bay does not get a cut from the buyer , just the seller ) Its very plain e-bay wants what sellers pay paypal . You said above " The contract insures that buyers will be able to use PP on the site at least through 2023 and that any sellers that aren't in MP can use PP as their processor. " AGAIN you (seller ) can not make a listing after Feb 23 of 2021 if you don't have a MP account . its in black and white . 

I'm not sure where the miscommunication happened, but clearly one did.  I've NEVER said anything like that nor would I because I'm very much aware that when Ebay gives you a date that you need to register by, you either need to register or be prepared to stop selling on Ebay.

So clearly you have me confused with someone else or you took something I said to someone else incorrectly.  I'm very much aware of how this program works.

Everyone did NOT get this letter.  Ebay is phasing sellers in, so your group is moving in later this month.  Others moved into the program in previous months and more will enter in the coming months.  Ebay can't move all 25-30 MILLION sellers in at once.  That would be a mess no one wants to try to work through.  Nightmares would come from that.

You are confusing what a transition period is.  Ebay is in the process of transition to MP.  So there are some seller in MP and some not.  Eventually all or most will be in MP.  So Ebay is acting responsibly to insure that those not in MP have a money processor they can depend on to be there until such time as they move into MP.  That is the responsible thing for a company to do for its customers.

As for Buyers, MP doesn't really affect them.  They can continue to use PP as they always have.

It may help you to click on what I highlighted above so you can learn more about the MP program.

Message 165 of 496
latest reply