cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new managed payments

I'm doing my level best to figure out just how the new managed payments is an advantage for sellers. For buyers? Most certainly. For ebay? Absolutely. But for sellers? Ummm..... ppffttt

I have less than 2 weeks to decide whether or not I  will continue to use ebay as a selling platform. I hate to give it up after 20 years here, but it might be goodbye for me.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: The new managed payments

It's not helpful to this buyer when I buy from UK sellers. PayPal had it set up perfectly where I could chose a UK address and they automatically adjusted the postage. Now eBay sometimes won't let me change the address; it even tells me that UK sellers won't ship to the UK. It is very frustrating for those sellers, but also for me. I can't afford the overseas postage. Do I have to stop buying from the UK?

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

I’m at the same place you are. My subscription ends in July and this new payout system is pushing me out.  I’m paying for over the limit transactions at bank , to transfer money back to PayPal, for shipping and subscription payment because of automatic payment and another fee if the money is not in PayPal for payment.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

Ok, you’re a new person and must come into what is in place and accept it.  20 years, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it, especially to your advantage.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

Ok, another bank just for eBay, away from my personals might just work, thanks, had not thought of that

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

I’m in the same boat as you.....I see zero advantage for sellers.  I’ve already voiced my concerns over things like international sales which now I’m probably going to have to stop...they want o be considered a world wide platform.  The only worldwide sellers they will pick up is the ones that sell cheap junk.  After figuring out the additional fees, sellers could be up to 18% or more all while not having access to their own money for many days. The payment vendor is a couple of guys that cooked up this scheme in their garage from what I’ve read. NO good reviews on them. I’m on eBay since 1997 so I feel your pain...

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

I wanted to respond to your list:

it’s the bank account thing that I have issues with. I do not use banks as they are thieves.  All my eBay money goes into my PayPal account and I work with it from there. I know what my fees are, I also use their business loan program which will now be in the dumps...thanks to this awful split up. I’m aware that many other sellers do what I do-use PayPal as their business account. 
As far as PayPal making profits from “our” money...that’s what big businesses do. I’m good with it because my fees have been fairly low and consistent. 
Thanks for hearing me!

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

On your comments about transfers-I’ve had to transfer out of PayPal to a credit union.  1-2 days on that. I normally do not transfer, I use PayPal directly.  Now transfers FROM a bank or CU to PayPal take several days. The simple solution is to skip the thievery and stay away from banks altogether 😬

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

What about the thousands of us sellers that do not use a bank?  All my eBay money is in PayPal and I work from there. 

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

Being forced to open a “bank” account to use as a stepping stone to get my money is not making things easier.  All my eBay monies are in my PayPal account. That’s my business account. Purchases are made from it as well. So yes, doing things the way you describe is feasible as long as 10 days wait is ok and the federal reserve has to know all our business.  That’s why the bank thing is in the equation.  Making a PP->bank transfer is fast because no FR involvement.  Bank->PP has to go through FR. That’s why it takes so long. 

I do remember all the things you mention...I’ve been on eBay since 1997 😬😬

Loved PP as it made life much easier 

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

After one adds seller fees for tax that we don’t collect and 3% fees for international sales for the “convenience “ of their payment processor to “convert” my foreign currency to US $ it IS more costly. I want my overseas customers to pay in their currency and I want to convert when I want to-when the exchange rate is good FOR ME. That will go out the window...as will all my international sales...

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

It is most definitely not just different.  It is a disadvantage for all ebay users.  This will affect buyers as sellers will be forced to charge more to cover added fees.  

a-e are the easy parts and the misdirection.  Start doing the math and you will see. 

f) accept that ebay will charge seller a percentage value fee on taxes collected.  Usually 10- 13%  $$$.  Likely illegal in the US and probably processed through through a foreign part of ebay in order to do this for as long as possible.

g) accept that ebay will charge seller an international fee if buyer pays with foreign currency.  This one is great because there is no way to know if you will be charged or not until buyer pays and there is no way to opt out or control it.  And no it is not limited to international sales.  It can happen on any sale and it is about 1.6%.  

h) accept that if you use UPS or Fedex as a shipping method you are forced to pay with managed payments bank account.  That's right  you do not have the option to pay for these shipping services any other way if the label is purchased through ebay. You can pay for USPS shipping through ebay using multiple payment methods but not UPS or Fedex.  No monetary hit for the seller as far as I know but a definite inconvenience.

So with all of the total fees involved I was paying on average 12.9 to 13.4 percent in total fees to ebay and paypal combined.  This is what most sellers with good scores were paying.  Since the introduction of managed payments I am averaging 14.9-15.4 percent in total fees due to the extra added fees and taxes with no added benefit to me other than being able to see a little more of the transactions on the ebay site.  I think the finances are easier through paypal but that is one of the parts of this whole thing that is not a real issue and part of the misdirection.  If you do the math correctly I am sure you will see the same results in all of your accounts.  If I sell an item for $100 with free shipping and my Final value fees are 13% then I should pay ebay $13.00 but that is not what happens.  When the buyer pays sales tax of 8% tax then the total is $108 and 13% of that is $14.04 in fees you are now paying to ebay which makes fees on that $100 sell now over 14%.  That's 1% of sales right there that ebay can claim as income. Income made on nothing more than charging a fee on taxes paid.  The insertions fees, possible extra fees they make from charging taxes shipping, the new way they do the international fee and that .30 (just because) fee for each item are not even calculated yet and can fluctuate quite a bit and are different matter but you can see how these new policies connected to managed payments are meant to get more fees from sellers discretely.  How much money do you think ebay will make extra in a year when they charge that high percent on all taxes paid?  Even at a small fraction of 1 % fee on all sold the number it staggering. They will likely be over $100b that will go through ebay this year alone producing hundreds of millions in fees just on the taxes.  This is a problem and so many sellers do not understand this for what it is.  I am all about ebay making money but not like this. I would be ok with them just flat out saying "we are going to charge 15% now".  At least that would be upfront and honest about what was going on.  The way they are doing this seems sneaky and extremely ethically questionable to say the least. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them confirming the new ways they are charging fees.  Sellers are paying more money and don't even realize it.  Please do the math and see for yourself how much your fees have gone up.  I doubt you will find any seller that is not paying more money in fees now.  I hope this is not the case for you, however this has been the case for any seller that I talked to that has investigated and done the math.  If you believe you are not paying more than before please share this information with me and show example numbers if you are willing.  Thanks.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

This is just what they want.  You are paying attention to the things that don't really matter.  Sure it is nicer in minor ways and they negatives you list are minor annoyances for a small enough population of sellers.  The problems are all the extra fees they are charging sellers now in in several unethical ways. Fees on taxes and the new way they do international fees are the 2 biggest ones. How in any way can that be justified and why did they not put those out there for anyone to plainly see. I guess they didn't want to just tell sellers they will now be paying around 15% in fees when it was around 13% before MP. Do the math. The 2.9% ebay use to charge and would still charge on all of the taxes collected is a lot less than ebays percentage they are charging.  This alone raises the final value fees.  Look into it and do the math on your own items sold.  No this is not a payment for handling tax collecting on sellers behalf.  They have other means of getting compensated for that.  

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

I'm with clanewen!!!   20 years selling on ebay for me also. I also buy a $1,000.00 a month. I want my sales money in paypal.

I sold a card on last Friday, 26 march 2021. Price $100.00 with shipping..Today I received notice, your money, $87.97 will be deposited into your bank account in 1-3 days...4-5-6 days after sales is unacceptable...

I am looking at facebook market place, (I hate facebook) so to consider it, I must be pi**ed.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

You guys just don't get it. It's all about SECURITY.

ANOTHER entity with access to my banking information!? No thanks.

Someone else wants my SSAN!? No thanks.

Security issues! Pay Pal is far more secure. Yeah, they charge a fee, but so what? Adjust your selling prices accordingly.

Ultimately, when you but or sell on eBay, they will be into you bank account!

No thanks Ebay.  After 23 years I will likely cease using ebay if they continue this policy.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

Same here....If I read the info correctly...3-5 days before deposit in checking account. WOW....paypal was close to instant payment. That's an awful long wait, when Ebay is sitting on private checking account info.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply