cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non business user forced into managed payments?? questions

I am mostly a buyer on eBay but each year towards the end of the year I sell some of my used stuff to raise cash for Christmas or a new camera etc.  Now I am being told I have to give them my checking account number and paypal is out.  I don't understand this, I am a casual seller, not a business and not making a profit.  My biggest question is if I open a new checking account just for ebay and transfer the funds out of that account and a buyer decides he doesn't want the item or has buyers remorse (I am a no returns seller) can ebay overdraw that account and cause the bank to charge me overdraft fees?  If so, is there a way around this other than leaving the money in the account for 90 days before withdrawing?  Thank you for the help.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Non business user forced into managed payments?? questions

My biggest question is if I open a new checking account just for ebay and transfer the funds out of that account and a buyer decides he doesn't want the item or has buyers remorse (I am a no returns seller) can ebay overdraw that account and cause the bank to charge me overdraft fees?

@becif902 

The 'no overdraft' workaround you're looking for is this... attach a credit card as the Automatic Payment Method for your monthly eBay invoice.

Yes, refunds will be pulled from your Pending Payouts first, but if you don't have enough sales to cover them, the refund will be billed to your CC after 14 days.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

It doesn't matter, casual seller or business seller , ebay is switching EVERYONE to managed payments.  

If you are a "no returns" seller you do not have to accept remorse returns. 

If you are a "no returns" seller you still have to accept damaged, broken, missing pieces, smells funny, not as described, not as pictured returns, 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@becif902 wrote:

I am mostly a buyer on eBay but each year towards the end of the year I sell some of my used stuff to raise cash for Christmas or a new camera etc.  Now I am being told I have to give them my checking account number and paypal is out.  I don't understand this, I am a casual seller, not a business and not making a profit.  My biggest question is if I open a new checking account just for ebay and transfer the funds out of that account and a buyer decides he doesn't want the item or has buyers remorse (I am a no returns seller) can ebay overdraw that account and cause the bank to charge me overdraft fees?  If so, is there a way around this other than leaving the money in the account for 90 days before withdrawing?  Thank you for the help.

One solution, if you are just a casual now-and-then seller & not a business would be to hook Managed Payment s to your regular checking account. the if there was a refund it would come from the same account that it came in.

Or... I'm in between full time business and just casual, about $1,000-$1500 a month part of the year, and a couple hundred a month at other times, like this post holiday season. I leave most of the eBay money in my "eBay" checking account and use my 1% cashback debit for gas, groceries etc., and hit an ATM for a few hundred when I'm headed out for a day of yard sales etc.  Tomorrow I'll be putting new tires on the van with my 1% cashback debit & eBay money. Pretty much what I did with my PayPal Business Debit 1% when my $$'s wentr there.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

I guess I just am not comfortable with giving someone access to the account that pays my mortgage and utilities etc that can withdraw funds on someone elses whim.  I don't sell much but see just how easy it is for a buyer to decide the item is magically not what they expected, or bid too high, or can find it for less elsewhere, whatever and file some type of complaint for a partial refund etc and eBay deducts money and my mortgage is late or the account gets overdrawn.  Plus if ebay gets hacked now someone gets full access to my real checking account.  I guess if I want to use ebay I don't have a choice.....this sux.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

I opened a bank account with Chime for the sole purpose of receiving my payments from eBay.  I didn't want them to have any access to my regular personal checking account.  Chime has some overdraft protection as well.  I keep the money there for at least 30 days.  I also leave a pad just in case.  Some buyers can leave positive feedback and then turn around and still file a claim.  If you have a return eBay Managed Payment program will first hold monies that haven't yet been processed before going after the funds in your bank account.  With managed payments your final value fees are credited back, but not the $0.30 transaction fee.  With PayPal you lose the 2.9% and the $0.30 transaction fee.  eBay is responsible for refunding the taxes.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Hi I'm  Rosesbooks2017collection, 

I'm so unhappy giving eBay permission to ACCESS my banking information; it  immediately feels like a violation. I've been selling books for 6 years on this platform, if I make a $100.00 a month I'm good w/ that. I couldn't make a living here if I tried, I tried. PayPal is privacy, using block chain encryption, the digital account does NOT have your personal banking information available to anyone. 

eBay is non-specific regarding encryption they use, language and security protocol.  I don't have the time to read and read articles that are of no concern. Where is the sound information I need to decide whether or not to trust your security.  WHY I am being forced to give access to my bank to an unknown entity?  Give me information regarding where and who is the Fiduciary? Who is looking out for my assets when whoever is accessing my bank account? Your Insurance company? Can small sellers choose to have monies go directly through Paypal? If I have to pay more...so be it. I don't have the time to read and read articles of non--specific information that has nothing to do with security, insurance, fiduciary, and protection of my privacy, especially with third party entities.  I do not give eBay or anyone permission to sell my information you have. I cannot update my account information on your templates now, yet I'm to trust you depositing and withdrawing from my bank account?  I don't care what you charge other people. your articles go on and on about nothing of substance.  What happens when eBay overdraws my banking account by mistake?? Will eBay pay the overdraft fee of $40.00 per overdraft? You cannot overdraft on PayPal. I will gladly give eBay my information WITHOUT MY PERMISSION to access my money, deposit or withdraw in a private/business account. eBay has been compromised, has an upgrade been established?   I continue to read over and over WE WANT TO PROCESS YOUR PAYMENTS.  Again, with documented answers from eBay I will gladly give eBay a another bank account.  I prefer every transaction to continue to go through PayPal first, as I understand peer to peer transaction, block-chain encryption. Try it! Then I wouldn't feel so vulnerable with my information. Your not a banking institution, your taking on third party money transfers.  eBay isn't being transparent  with coding encryption, who, what company will be accessing the transfer of monies? I'm reading only non-specific vague statements.

Managed payments...sounds like managed care...Scary, who's idea? who's the bright bulb? You need some new light bulbs. The word managed payments turns my stomach.  Amazon pays sellers in this manner...reason I will never sell or purchase on Amazon. Amazon has kept over $330.00 of my money from a sale of a book. Try to get an amazon representative on the phone, someone to talk to, someone to take a formal complaint, working for Amazon, with an identification number to track. Seems like eBay is now taking the same route. 

It used to fun to sell my books here on eBay. 

Respectfully,

Rose

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

If your PayPal account doesn't have funds to cover the refund. EBAY can if you agreed to the new payout terms and conditions access your your checking account. This will happen only if the item is not as described, damaged during shipping and for non-delivery of item.  Buyer's remorse as most buyers won't admit to would require a case for EBAY to decide.  I recommend  that you have sufficient funds in your PayPal to deal if these events occur so EBAY won't have access your bank account. I hope this helps. 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I am happy to see that there are other people who are not happy with being forced into managed payments. I see it as a way that eBay just wanted to make more $ for themselves by cutting PayPal out of the equation. I simply opened a special account just to accept payments from eBay. BUT, in the past, using PayPal, if a buyer paid for a purchase on the 23rd at noon, the money was in my PayPal account in no more than a couple minutes. But, now, it gets held by eBay for an average of 2-3 days before they send it to my bank, where it takes another day or three to get into my account. This results in buyers constantly asking if their goods have shipped yet. I do not ship anything until the payment is in MY account, not eBay's. So, I have had to add a 5 day handling period to my auctions. In addition, when using PayPal, their account showed every transaction in and out, what item it was for, time of such, and what fees were charged. Now, eBay lumps payments together so an amount shows up in my account, eventually, but I really have not figured out yet how to know which items have been paid for, and what fees were involved with each, just as a way to ensure eBay is being accurate in their charges. Not very happy at all with this situation.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Pretentious. 

tdrake is offering to pay all the the overdraft fees charged to eBay sellers.

The company contracted to perform all deposits and withdrawals, money transfers for eBay's' managed payment program experienced a computer glitch overdrawing 90 percent of eBay's seller bank accounts.

How kind you are sir.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

MANAGED PAYMENTS is required if you want to continue selling on EBAY.

If buyer opens return request EBAY will immediately "freeze those funds" before they go into your Checking Account.     Not sure what happens if that money was already deposited into your Checking Account?

Really no such thing as "no returns."   EBAY guarantee allows buyers to return items by claiming "defective, not as described or counterfeit".    No proof required.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Very unfortunate but MP is killing Ebay as we all know it. It was good while it lasted.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Much whining about nothing.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly with you.  This entire thing is ridiculous.  I don't have a business and/or store account.  I basically sell things on eBay now and then throughout the year - kind of like in spurts.  Almost like what you'd find in occasional yard sales throughout the year.   I have old items, used items, and some craft items.  It's not a regular consistent activity for me.  And, of course they are charging a fee on my shipping expenses? (I've always found that totally not right). 
And, now I'm  also wondering about purchasing shipping labels from the U.S. Post Office.
Can you still do that?  

Anyway, I agree with you 100% -  Translates to me that they really don't want our business at all.  
Getting paid IMMEDIATELY is a big thing for shipping since I don't ever ship anything until I've received payment in my account.  And, I do it right away immediately the next day after getting paid. 

Still deliberating if I want to continue with eBay.

I've been a member since when they first started. 
I'm now researching other platforms to sell items online.  

My view?  eBay will lose lots of business because of this.
I'm not impressed at all.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Agree 100%.

Now looking around and researching other platforms.

This all translates to me that they just want the "big sellers".  
What a slap in the face to the regular little guy who was able to use this for occasional sales for a little extra "cash, especially those of us who are on just Social Security.  

Looks like I will end my account.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Totally agree.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply