cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longtime Seller Having Funds Held For Two Weeks...What?

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for over a decade. I have perfect feedback and always ship within two days  After not selling anything in almost two years I decided to post some things I wasn't using. I was annoyed that I can no longer use Paypal for payments but I verified my bank via their micro payment system anyways.

I sold an item on Saturday and mailed it out on Monday. I thought it was odd that I hadn't received the payment in my checking account. I checked my sellers account and it says "Funds on hold - Estimated release on Sep 2".  This is insane.  Like I said, I've been selling on Ebay for over a decade with no issues and my funds are being held for two weeks. Nice display of Loyalty, Ebay. I will no longer be selling and I'm really fighting the urge not to close my account altogether.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Longtime Seller Having Funds Held For Two Weeks...What?

You realize that looking at someones sold list doesn't show it all right? Been that way for like 25 years. You could have just looked at one item to see I sold 10 cds alone in the last 90 but yea not much but I'm talking about the last 2 years not the last month or two. Never once did my hold go away. Never had a hold before managed payments in 8 years except for when I first started and maybe once after a year or 2 break.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@radom_stuff wrote:

You realize that looking at someones sold list doesn't show it all right? Been that way for like 25 years. You could have just looked at one item to see I sold 10 cds alone in the last 90 but yea not much but I'm talking about the last 2 years not the last month or two. Never once did my hold go away. Never had a hold before managed payments in 8 years except for when I first started and maybe once after a year or 2 break.

Valid point.  It isn't correct when there is a listing with multiple quantity or a variation listing.  So you are correct and I should have stated that.

According to that listing you have sold 4 in the last 90 days.  19 over the life of the listing.

Part of the rule reads:

• New or infrequent sellers will experience transaction holds while eBay confirms that their items have been successfully delivered. This helps sellers become established and build a strong selling history on eBay. In limited circumstances, new sellers may experience holds for up to 21 days.

Whoops, I see they have changed this since I last looked at it.  It is now more generic than it was before.  

It use to say infrequent sellers were those that had not sold in 90+ days.  And it required about 10 completed transactions to get you money off hold.  I see it no longer says any of that.  

Contact Ebay and find out what and why they are doing what they are doing since you don't feel what I've shared helps.  I suggest you use the social media links as they have the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

If when you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant, type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

For the Payment Team
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Sorry if i sounded snippy I'm just mad at ebay for getting worse and worse every year. Losing more market share EVERY year. Then they get arrested for stalking... What a joke.

I did contact ebay and after talking to about 5 different people they told me they just don't like my bank. The same one I have been using with Paypal for over 10 years. I love Rushcard Metabank because they don't let people take money that isn't there. I guess that makes them not a "real" bank which is exactly what I want apparently. I just connected a brokerage checking account which is still not actually a bank but I do have literal paper checks so I guess its real enough for ebay because they say it won' t be a problem and my money should not be held anymore. BUT we all know what a ebay rep says doesn't really mean anything so we will see!

I'm not even gonna ask ebay about this anymore. There are account resellers that know all the tricks and get paid after being total scammers all the time so I guess I will have pay them for info from now on.

Now I'm wondering what type of CC they accept for payments even though there are even MORE frees attached to that.

In the mean time I'm cross posting everything I have to other platforms and ebay will be on the back burner like it already has been for the last few months as you can see.

Thanks for helping though.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

@radom_stuff 

"Then they get arrested for stalking."  I assume you are aware that this happened in the summer of 2019 and was perpetrated by a handful of Ebay employees that were fired quite quickly upon Ebay learning of the issues.  And the CEO was replaced quickly too.  So while the actions of a few was absolutely horrid and without any way to excuse their behavior [some now in jail], it wasn't the entire company or anywhere close to it.

Ebay is required by Federal Law on what they can accept and what they can't.  So while you are upset at Ebay, it isn't Ebay's fault.  You have to connect a Bank to your account.  There is no way around that.

Keep in mind these accounts you are using that are not banks also do not offer the FDIC insurance on your money.

You have every right to feel whatever way you feel.  If this is not something you want to work out with Ebay, you really should close your active listings so that you don't end up with even more money held knowing that you are not going to want to give them a bank in which they can transfer your money to.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

I have the same problem. I cant believe it. They are making money on my money, and the kicker is you cant talk to a person. this is a trend in big business, very much a chineese model

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

@glezman2 wrote:

I have the same problem. I cant believe it. They are making money on my money, and the kicker is you cant talk to a person. this is a trend in big business, very much a chineese model

Ebay does not earn any interest on money held.  They have repeatedly told us this.  Once you have about 10 current successful transactions, the hold will likely go away.

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Been a member for 22 years not one negative feedback. Payment on my sold item still being held. This does nothing to improve Ebay. The feedback they promote so much means nothing. What they fail to realize ,policy does not generate sales. It appears to me that they want to shed themselves of customers. I buy quite a bit sell infrequently. I guess I will grant them their wish.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Looks like, until your recent sale, you havent sold anything here for more than a year. As has been mentioned in this thread over and over, you are being treated as a new seller. Ebay prefers that any refunds come out of your pocket, not theirs.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Anyone notice the date of the original post, 08/24/21? 

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Yes I was just responding to the post made today.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Been a member for 22 years not one negative feedback. Payment on my sold item still being held. This does nothing to improve Ebay. The feedback they promote so much means nothing. What they fail to realize ,policy does not generate sales. It appears to me that they want to shed themselves of customers. I buy quite a bit sell infrequently. I guess I will grant them their wish.

You feedback or your length of time has no bearing on whether or not you may have funds on hold.  Now that Ebay is our money processor they have specific Federal laws in which they MUST comply with.  So while you may disagree with info they ask you for, they ask because they are required to collect the info now.  In past years when they were not the money processor they had no need for most of it.

IDK what you mean by "The feedback they promote so much means nothing."?  Feedback has not been a part of how Ebay evaluates its sellers for years.  But it is important to buyers considering buying from you.  That is when that part can come into play.

Not every policy on Ebay is meant to "generate sales".  

Please review the below link carefully. It contains very important information as to how Ebay needs to see the information you provide them on your account. It is likely easier to change your Ebay account to match your bank account if you find there to be a difference.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-for-helpful/td-p/31798259

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&redirectedFrom=4155

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Too bad Ebay does not inform you when listing your item that your payment is going to be delayed. If I was aware of that I would not have listed. It is Ebay's sandbox and they can crap in it all they want. They have that right. Just as I have a right to play in a " cleaner sandbox ".

Since I bought and sold on Ebay. Ebay made money on me both ways. Explain the advantage enjoyed by Ebay when I close my account. Then I will not buy or sell on Ebay. Your reply about worthless feed back is hilarious. Buyers are supposed to trust feedback on Ebay. But feedback earned by sellers doesn't earn the trust of Ebay.

A business cannot survive without customers. While customers can survive without any particular business. My finances aren't based on selling on Ebay. I refuse to sell something on a regular basis. Just to be able to collect my money when I make a sale.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

I agree, but at the time you are creating your listings, the bots would not likely be able to determine that.  Ebay does expect sellers to stay current on the rules.  This one has been around for awhile now, but I sure respect how it can be difficult on some.

The thing you can do is post some low $$ items.  Get them sold, after you have about 10 completed transactions the hold goes away.  

I get it that you are mad at Ebay.  However Ebay has always expected sellers to know the rules and because a seller says they didn't know about some rule doesn't mean they are exempt from that rule.  But again , I do wish they would come up with a way to tell sellers when they post a new listing after being away that their money is likely to get held with a link to the policy.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply but I don't need Ebay any longer. I am trusting them as much as they are trusting me. I don't have time to go over the user agreement every day.  I am beyond mad I am just done.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply