cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longtime Seller Having Funds Held For Two Weeks...What?

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for over a decade. I have perfect feedback and always ship within two days  After not selling anything in almost two years I decided to post some things I wasn't using. I was annoyed that I can no longer use Paypal for payments but I verified my bank via their micro payment system anyways.

I sold an item on Saturday and mailed it out on Monday. I thought it was odd that I hadn't received the payment in my checking account. I checked my sellers account and it says "Funds on hold - Estimated release on Sep 2".  This is insane.  Like I said, I've been selling on Ebay for over a decade with no issues and my funds are being held for two weeks. Nice display of Loyalty, Ebay. I will no longer be selling and I'm really fighting the urge not to close my account altogether.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Longtime Seller Having Funds Held For Two Weeks...What?

If it's any consolation, they're not treating you as a new seller. Those folks have to wait 21 days. Hang in there!

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

@wahwah1055 

Since you haven't sold in awhile, they consider you a new seller.

New sellers can have their funds held.

Depending on item and price, they usually release the funds a day or two after tracking shows the item was delivered.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@wahwah1055 wrote:

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for over a decade. I have perfect feedback and always ship within two days  After not selling anything in almost two years I decided to post some things I wasn't using. I was annoyed that I can no longer use Paypal for payments but I verified my bank via their micro payment system anyways.

I sold an item on Saturday and mailed it out on Monday. I thought it was odd that I hadn't received the payment in my checking account. I checked my sellers account and it says "Funds on hold - Estimated release on Sep 2".  This is insane.  Like I said, I've been selling on Ebay for over a decade with no issues and my funds are being held for two weeks. Nice display of Loyalty, Ebay. I will no longer be selling and I'm really fighting the urge not to close my account altogether.

Hey @wahwah1055@kensgiftshop is right that sellers who haven't sold in a while can face those holds. The reason for this is things are constantly changing on eBay as we work to improve the site, processes, policies, etc. For sellers who don’t sell often and for those who are new to eBay or maybe struggling with selling, these holds help them to learn and create great selling practices. When buyers love buying on eBay, they come back for more from both that seller and others.

If you're shipping with tracking, that will definitely help the hold to release sooner and you can go here to learn more. Please keep in mind, these holds won't last forever. As long as you keep selling consistently, they'll cease after a few months. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

I've been around long enough to see many a Ebay " improvement" and none of them are ever focused on the seller. I didn't sell for 2 years partly because all these "improvements" made the site less fun to use.

Bottom line is I have paid, out of my own pocket, to ship the item in a timely manner. It is unethical for Ebay to keep any sellers money from them. Furthermore it's obscene to do so under the guise of "Improvement.'

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@wahwah1055 wrote:

Hey @wahwah1055@kensgiftshop is right that sellers who haven't sold in a while can face those holds. The reason for this is things are constantly changing on eBay as we work to improve the site, processes, policies, etc. For sellers who don’t sell often and for those who are new to eBay or maybe struggling with selling, these holds help them to learn and create great selling practices. When buyers love buying on eBay, they come back for more from both that seller and others.

If you're shipping with tracking, that will definitely help the hold to release sooner and you can go here to learn more. Please keep in mind, these holds won't last forever. As long as you keep selling consistently, they'll cease after a few months. 

velvet@ebay 

While understand and agree with everything that you have said and do understand why eBay places these holds on some seller's accounts. It would be very helpful and would probably alleviate a lot confusion and or disappointment on the part of sellers like the OP, if eBay were to somehow create a pop up message within the listing flow, that explained to them that due to their time away from selling, that if and when their item sells there will be a hold placed on their payment proceeds for xx amount of time, due to their extended time away from selling. As it stands right now within the current system that eBay has in place the hold on payment proceeds often times comes as a Big Surprise and a huge disappointment to the unsuspecting seller. 

By doing this IMO eBay would be providing any given seller with the ability of making an informed decision as well as a choice pre sale and before they have actually sold the item in question vs. finding out that their funds are going to be held for xx amount of time post sale. Which is what currently happens to sellers like the OP who have not sold anything on eBay for some time, which is also currently an unknown time frame as well.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

@wahwah1055 wrote:

I've been around long enough to see many a Ebay " improvement" and none of them are ever focused on the seller. I didn't sell for 2 years partly because all these "improvements" made the site less fun to use.

Bottom line is I have paid, out of my own pocket, to ship the item in a timely manner. It is unethical for Ebay to keep any sellers money from them. Furthermore it's obscene to do so under the guise of "Improvement.'

While that really isn't true I do understand why you re distressed and frustrated.  And I respect it.  MP can be very hard for Casual Sellers to adjust to.  Below are some links you should read.  They will help you to better understand and better get along with MP.  And know that this year Ebay is really busy onboarding sellers, but come next year we should start seeing enhancements to the program that will hopefully help.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/How-does-the-updated-eBay-payments-experience-work-...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Have-questions-about-payments-Check-out-this-post-f...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/Infographic-How-payouts-work-when-eBay-manages-paym...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payment-Resources/Changes-to-the-eBay-invoicing-process/ba-p/32004201

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

It's a stupid system.

A friend of mine listed a load of things to sell as she was really short on money. They all got sold, but she didn't have the money to post everything and didn't know funds would be put on hold for 30 days as she hadn't sold for a while.

What are you supposed to do in that situation? 

I don't agree with the money being held whatsoever.

I sold a load of things recently and now I have to wait 30 days for authentication, then longer for the money. And you took a massive chunk of the price. I hate using Ebay and only do it when desperate to sell something quickly.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Your friend didn't  need the funds to post. When you make the label you can choose to have the payment for the label taken from the buyer's payment. There's no need to hold up shipping or pay for it from your pocket.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

@donniebrasco1979 wrote:

It's a stupid system.

A friend of mine listed a load of things to sell as she was really short on money. They all got sold, but she didn't have the money to post everything and didn't know funds would be put on hold for 30 days as she hadn't sold for a while.

What are you supposed to do in that situation? 

I don't agree with the money being held whatsoever.

I sold a load of things recently and now I have to wait 30 days for authentication, then longer for the money. And you took a massive chunk of the price. I hate using Ebay and only do it when desperate to sell something quickly.

I'm sorry that you and or your friend weren't aware of the rule that pertains to this situation.  But it is there for all to see.

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days. The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Ebay holds funds usually for very good reasons and it is a way to help keep the site safe and secure in many cases.  There are many reasons for them doing this.  There is only one situation they have that I don't agree with at all, but it doesn't affect your concern at all.

It doesn't likely cost your friend anything to post listings as long as she has some of her free listings still available to her.  As for paying for shipping, when creating the shipping label in Ebay you can have the funds taken from your MP account, even when the funds are on hold.  

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

I have been selling on ebay for 20 years in two different store categories, one I only sell plants, on the newer account I sell hard goods for almost 5 years, two weeks ago  had a nice score sale for over $300 and ebay decided to put my funds on hold, this had never happened before, they told me the hold was going to be released once the item arrived to make sure buyer was satisfied, item arrived buyer sent me a nice positive feed back, 3 days later my money still  on hold, at this point I am very frustrated and **bleep** off, thinking on ways how to expose ebay and their clown CEO🤡

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

You are lucky. I have been here a decade and for the last 2 years EVER single dollar is held for 30 days. Literally even when they own me $1.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@radom_stuff wrote:

You are lucky. I have been here a decade and for the last 2 years EVER single dollar is held for 30 days. Literally even when they own me $1.

@radom_stuff 

Ebay has had a rule for many years that pertains to New Seller and sellers that have been away from selling for 90+ days.  Since you are a casual seller and don't sell on a regular basis, it is likely why your money continues to get held as you don't meet the minimum requirements to come off hold.  The following is the policy that outlines why you money is likely on hold.

https://export.ebay.com/en/fees-and-payments/payments/payment-holds/

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&&...

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

"2 years straight" 90 days? I sell regular enough even though not one person can define what regular enough is...

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

@radom_stuff wrote:

"2 years straight" 90 days? I sell regular enough even though not one person can define what regular enough is...

I don't know about the "straight" part as it appears you only sell a couple of items every now and again.

You have one item sold in the last 90 days or so per your sold item list.

Keep in mind that to get off the hold you need to sell about 10 items or so.  Once those transactions are complete then the hold should come off shortly after that.  But if you stop selling for another 90 days or so and then come back to sell, your account will have the hold again.

It is just the way they have written the rules.  I'm not defending them, I'm simply answering your question as to why your money is being held.

Message 15 of 33
latest reply