cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments!

eBay is a major player in the secondhand sale market and is an integral part of moving merchandise for a seller.  However,  I'm really getting tired of eBay's managed payment policies.  Once again a buyer opened a return.  Apparently they purchased a gift and the recipient didn't want it.  So now after almost the 30 day return window they decide to return.  

Here's the problem, managed payments is withholding my funds from future payouts in the amount of this transaction, which is well over $ 2,000.   In my opinion this is an unethical policy and I'm a Top Rated Seller for a reason.  I deliver exceptional service and I will refund my customer, once I get the item back in its original condition.  So the buyer has until February 17th to return this item and 2 business days have passed by and they have yet to return it.  So my funds from future sales are on hold until they return the item an I issue a refund. 

Does anyone else agree with this, as unethical business practices on behalf of eBay's managed payments?  

I sell on Mercari, Offer Up, and Poshmark, and they don't have these policies in place for returns.  

I believe in order to be taken seriously we would have to get over 500,000 sellers or more to boycott eBay.  That's the only manner we can be heard.   Until then, if I decide to boycott along with a few others, nothing will be done,  we are replaceable and expendable. 

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Re: Boycott eBay Due To Managed Payments!

@jordman30 wrote:

I used to spend the $20,000 I made on ebay for things I needed to buy on ebay.. NOW I AM BUYING ZERO ON EBAY because i have no money in paypal account.... I cannot be alone- they must be losing money with sales overall..

OMG, all it takes is literally a few seconds to transfer money into your PP account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 136 of 167
latest reply

I am in managed payment for almost a year now.

Message 137 of 167
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@jordman30 wrote:

I used to spend the $20,000 I made on ebay for things I needed to buy on ebay.. NOW I AM BUYING ZERO ON EBAY because i have no money in paypal account.... I cannot be alone- they must be losing money with sales overall..

OMG, all it takes is literally a few seconds to transfer money into your PP account.

And you don't even need to do that - just use Paypal as a gateway.

Honestly, I don't think eBay is responsible for people's budgeting habits.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 138 of 167
latest reply

Looks like I became a seller at the wrong time. I always used Craigslist but knew I had limited buyers compared to worldwide viewers. I made a sell on my first post within 15 minutes of listing here and still waiting on buyer to send payment. I used the 3 day handling and I closed the post yesterday at 3 am. It's only been one day; However, I am wondering if Ebay signals to ship right as the buyer pays or will it take 1-2 days for Ebay to confirm the buyer has paid even if buyer pays right after I accepted the Buy It Now offer? I am iffy on using Ebay after reading all of these MP comments. As well as buyers scamming with lies and taking advantage of the MBG policy. I am a fan of money received immediately. However, I know that MP is it's own system and I must comply to be a user here. My buyers profiles say location of Australia but the shipping address was 3 miles from me and another also in San Jose, California. I know it's off topic but why is that? Hopefully my first sales on here aren't bad experiences with MP. Giving it a shot and will keep informed. 👌

Message 139 of 167
latest reply

@greenz-91 wrote:

Looks like I became a seller at the wrong time. I always used Craigslist but knew I had limited buyers compared to worldwide viewers. I made a sell on my first post within 15 minutes of listing here and still waiting on buyer to send payment. I used the 3 day handling and I closed the post yesterday at 3 am. It's only been one day; However, I am wondering if Ebay signals to ship right as the buyer pays or will it take 1-2 days for Ebay to confirm the buyer has paid even if buyer pays right after I accepted the Buy It Now offer? I am iffy on using Ebay after reading all of these MP comments. As well as buyers scamming with lies and taking advantage of the MBG policy. I am a fan of money received immediately. However, I know that MP is it's own system and I must comply to be a user here. My buyers profiles say location of Australia but the shipping address was 3 miles from me and another also in San Jose, California. I know it's off topic but why is that? Hopefully my first sales on here aren't bad experiences with MP. Giving it a shot and will keep informed. 👌

@greenz-91 

I'm not sure what you mean by joining Ebay at the "wrong time".  It would have made no difference if you joined Ebay next month or 20 years ago, Ebay is moving ALL sellers into MP.  I caution you about taking all the complaints about MP to heart.  Some might be accurate, others simply are not.  You need to learn the facts of what MP is so that you are informed and then decide what is best for you.  As is normal in any kind of community such as this one, the majority of the posts are complaints or venting about something.  Very few feel good stories.  It is the negativity that pulls people in.  

On the right side of the screens in the Payment Forum are some articles written by the Payments team that explain how MP works.  They are short and easy to read.  There are three of them, I strongly suggest you read them.

Most of the item transactions here go off without a hitch.  If they didn't, there would be no reason for any sellers to be here.  And sometimes we get those buyers that just don't pay.  Here is the process to handle them if your payment just doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137

Once your buyer pays, you have 3 days to ship.  That is how you set up your listing, with a 3 day handling time.  Ebay expects ALL sellers to ship within their stated handling time.

Sellers can run listings as Fixed Price with Immediate Payment Required.  That means a buyer can't purchase the item unless they pay for it too.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/immediate-payment-works?id=415...

Buyers can have all kinds of ship to addresses, they don't have to match their primary address.  For example when my daughter was away at college I would ship stuff directly to her or my Mom when she needed something, I'd buy it and have it shipped directly to her.  There is NOTHING wrong with this practice and should cause no issues for you at all.

If you have more questions, come on back and ask.

Message 140 of 167
latest reply

Managed Payments does take some getting used to and it creates a significant accounting issue with how they deduct the selling fees from the payouts rather than billing them to the card on file with them as they did for years.  

One noticeable thing I've noticed now that we are approaching 2 years into using managed payments is that our sales volume on eBay has dropped significantly while our volume on other venues that we sell similar and identical items are up sharply.   I have no explanation for the shift...but it is what it is.  

All I can advise is to diversify onto other platforms as well and chose which one works best for you and focus your efforts there. 

Best, 

RCA

Message 141 of 167
latest reply

Thank you for this helpful information. Our company was thinking about selling on ebay but I only hear bad things all over the internet and publicly.

Message 142 of 167
latest reply

Come to find out the Australia ones were 4 different scammers as I am nee here. They are getting away with it by claiming third party took over their account so ebay cancels the buy it now post and sale after they claimed it. Then the scammer changes their names and starts fresh. Happened to me over an over except for same one guy who hasn't replied to messages or sent payment. The scammers go as far as texting over phone, sending fake military id and info, claiming they send you a payment while sending a fake photoshopped pic to your email making you think its pending, saying you have to send pics of gift card/receipt to the paypal email for them to release your funds, repeating the same idiotic statements when you claim there's no money in your account, so on and so on. I went along with it to figure out the whole process. Ebay is letting them get away with it by cancelling everything and letting them start fresh onto the next victim. I tried to scam 2 scammers by telling them I needed a small deposit before i could send gift cards and even sent giftcard pics and receipts found off google images lol. They almost fell for it. Dragged it on for 3 hours and wasted their time just to tell them they're **bleep**ed and evil people. So new buyers beware! I have no intentions of being here much so MP isn't a problem for me but I stated the wrong time comment as in it must've been nice to use Ebay and receive money through paypal instantly years ago. Instead, there's a week delay which would cause issues for day to day sellers who need money pronto. However, can't complain about how Ebay chooses to run their company no matter how much they step on customers. Just move on I suppose.

Message 143 of 167
latest reply

@greenz-91 wrote:

Come to find out the Australia ones were 4 different scammers as I am nee here. They are getting away with it by claiming third party took over their account so ebay cancels the buy it now post and sale after they claimed it. Then the scammer changes their names and starts fresh. Happened to me over an over except for same one guy who hasn't replied to messages or sent payment. The scammers go as far as texting over phone, sending fake military id and info, claiming they send you a payment while sending a fake photoshopped pic to your email making you think its pending, saying you have to send pics of gift card/receipt to the paypal email for them to release your funds, repeating the same idiotic statements when you claim there's no money in your account, so on and so on. I went along with it to figure out the whole process. Ebay is letting them get away with it by cancelling everything and letting them start fresh onto the next victim. I tried to scam 2 scammers by telling them I needed a small deposit before i could send gift cards and even sent giftcard pics and receipts found off google images lol. They almost fell for it. Dragged it on for 3 hours and wasted their time just to tell them they're **bleep**ed and evil people. So new buyers beware! I have no intentions of being here much so MP isn't a problem for me but I stated the wrong time comment as in it must've been nice to use Ebay and receive money through paypal instantly years ago. Instead, there's a week delay which would cause issues for day to day sellers who need money pronto. However, can't complain about how Ebay chooses to run their company no matter how much they step on customers. Just move on I suppose.

Those scams have been around for years.  

With that said if a member reports their account hacked and taken over by someone else, Ebay is likely to shut that account down until things are fixed or worked out.  

As for buyers opening multiple accounts.  If the sellers that are affected by this buyer or these types of buyers continue to report them, Ebay will eventually catch up to them and opening multiple accounts won't save them.

Fortunately most buyers are great and most sellers are too.  But it is extremely frustrating for either party when they get snagged by a less than honorable member.

Message 144 of 167
latest reply

From the increase in the scammer posts, I would say a new seller is correct in his assumption and he is coming on to ebay at the wrong time. This is certainly not the best ebay has been or can be. That can not be disputed.

Message 145 of 167
latest reply

@sunking1 wrote:

From the increase in the scammer posts, I would say a new seller is correct in his assumption and he is coming on to ebay at the wrong time. This is certainly not the best ebay has been or can be. That can not be disputed.

@sunking1 

The vast majority of transactions on Ebay go off without an issue.  If that were not the case, no one would be selling here.  

Certainly there are scammers on this site, both buyers and sellers.  However Ebay isn't the only site that has them.

Selling anything on the internet on any site has its risks.  It is certainly something we all should be aware of so we can best protect ourselves that is for sure.

Message 146 of 167
latest reply

What I said is fact. All you have to do is read the forums. Do you dispute that there are more posts regarding scamming now? I know I've seen you  agree that ebay was better and safer before than it is now. Or do you think ebay is getting better and better by the day?

Message 147 of 167
latest reply

@sunking1 wrote:

What I said is fact. All you have to do is read the forums. Do you dispute that there are more posts regarding scamming now? I know I've seen you  agree that ebay was better and safer before than it is now. Or do you think ebay is getting better and better by the day?

There are scams on most every site.  Are they more than they were last year or the year before.  IDK, I've not seen any stats on that.  Just because people come to the forums to talk about them doesn't mean they are worse than they have ever been.  Certainly there are a lot of them, of that there is no doubt.  And the Pandemic has brought out the worst in some people.

Don't try to twist my words, I never said nor did I imply that "Ebay is getting better and better by the day", those are your words, absolutely nothing I said.

But again, if most transactions did not go off without a hitch, there would be no reason for sellers to stay on this site or any other, because ALL sites like this have scammers.

We all have to be aware of the world around us, especially when you go to sell on the internet on this site or any other.

Message 148 of 167
latest reply

I quit selling on eBay after being on here for almost 20 years because of all the **bleep** going on.  What a shame.

Message 149 of 167
latest reply

sd-brightis
Thrill-Seeker

Mangled Payments

Message 150 of 167
latest reply