cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

I didn't think sellers had this option to not allow a payment type. Today, I see with a particular seller that anytime I go to checkout with one of there items using the new Managed Payments, it says next to my AMEX card, not accepted and is greyed out. I called Managed Payments and Managed Payments accepts AMEX and they said to message the seller to see what is wrong. I told Managed Payments, the seller should not be allowed to do this. You cannot have one seller take one type of card and another seller to not. This is not the way market places are suppose to work. This needs to be addressed.

This is the item https://www.ebay.com/itm/174639437179.

Amex Not Accepted - 03-30-2021.jpg

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

Can someone please check with the new managed payments if they can get an AMEX card to actually be processed. I have been trying to buy a used cellphone with an AMEX logo and every time I try to pay, it says select another payment type. It won't accept any AMEX card I have. I have more than one. These cards have worked just fine and AMEX isn't seeing any kind of processing on there end.

It might have gotten worse if someone else who has AMEX tries to pay for anything with AMEX. It could also be just that one category with cell phones but the logo is there.

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

brittanie@ebay said:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-May-12-1-00-pm-PT-General-T... 

"I heard back on your question. The answer I received was the following:

"Buyers will see supported payment methods compatible with the their device or browser automatically in checkout. Not all payment methods are supported in all categories."

I know it's not a lot of detail, but I hope it helps explain what you're seeing."

Brittanie can you tell us what categories American Express are not accepted in, in Managed Payments?

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken - Unfortunately, the information I provided above was the only information that was available and I am not able to provide more information on which categories this affects. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@go-bad-chicken - Unfortunately, the information I provided above was the only information that was available and I am not able to provide more information on which categories this affects. 

brittanie@ebay 

Thank you for your response. It is my hope that eBay will choose to be more forthcoming in the near future for the sake of both its seller's as well as its buyers with regards to its policies regarding when and where American Express will be accepted as a payment option on its website. Right now it's very confusing.

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

After all these months, this is still on going. I am sick on calling AMEX about this issue. eBay NEEDS TO RELEASE A LIST of what categories you cannot buy items with AMEX with. I have pretty much totally stopped shopping on this platform because I use my AMEX cards because of the high rewards I get. I can shop with no issue with other sites. Any item that AMEX doesn't allow to be bought, is not allowed to be sold on eBay.

eBay needs to tell us, the buyers, what cannot be bought on this platform. Telling us, the buyers, to contact the seller is not the correct answer and will cause buyers to stop shopping. This is a major issue with AMEX with the new Managed Payments and it needs to be dealt with NOW.

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

This is still on going on November 5th, 2021. This is over 8 months with nothing from eBay about this issue and it hasn't gotten any better.

I keep calling AMEX about this and I have written to the states attorney generals office over this because with AMEX you are not allowed to stop taking and AMEX unless AMEX says you cannot buy this item with AMEX. This is the same with Visa and Mastercard. eBay needs to do something NOW. Ether they need to take this restriction away or give us, THE BUYERS, a list of categories we cannot buy items in.

As stated early all AMEX restricted items are not allowed to be sold on this platform so there is no reason for this. I have no issue shopping on other platforms with AMEX.

This issue is so bad that I simply stopped shopping on the platform unless I cannot find it anywhere else. I am willing to pay an extra dollar to someone else to take my card.

Message 66 of 68
latest reply

I'm not sure what is going on, but it is not just the seller. If you go to a sellers store, you will see some items you can buy with Amex and some not. Therefore, it can't just be the seller. Every time I try to buy a watch, no seller takes Amex, and I tried at least 10 different sellers, but buying a stuffed animal from the same seller, Amex is fine.

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 68 of 68
latest reply