cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

I didn't think sellers had this option to not allow a payment type. Today, I see with a particular seller that anytime I go to checkout with one of there items using the new Managed Payments, it says next to my AMEX card, not accepted and is greyed out. I called Managed Payments and Managed Payments accepts AMEX and they said to message the seller to see what is wrong. I told Managed Payments, the seller should not be allowed to do this. You cannot have one seller take one type of card and another seller to not. This is not the way market places are suppose to work. This needs to be addressed.

This is the item https://www.ebay.com/itm/174639437179.

Amex Not Accepted - 03-30-2021.jpg

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

I do have a PayPal account but the problem is it shows up on AMEX as a gift card which means I get no rewards for this.

Well, there is it.  You must use AMEX to get rewards.  I say use another CC, too bad.

Message 16 of 68
latest reply

Yes but the problem is it seems to be the entire fine jewelry category which AMEX says is allowed.

Message 17 of 68
latest reply

This Ebay link basically indicates seller may not accept all types of credit cards.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-items-credit-debit-card?id=4038#:~:text=Most%20....

Message 18 of 68
latest reply

The issue is eBay does not have PayPal setup correctly. I would think AMEX would have an issue with that because customers are going to complain to AMEX for points they are suppose to get and cannot.

Message 19 of 68
latest reply

It isn't one seller. It all of them in managed payments under fine jewelry category. I said this in another post. Also what is the point of a marketplace?

Message 20 of 68
latest reply

Also managed payments has told me the seller cannot opt out of taking one payment method. If you are in managed payments you take all the allowed payment types.

Message 21 of 68
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

This Ebay link basically indicates seller may not accept all types of credit cards.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-items-credit-debit-card?id=4038#:~:text=Most%20....

"You can pay for your items on eBay with Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, and American Express. Keep in mind that some sellers may not accept all of these. "

That looks like a remnant from when eBay allowed sellers to have their own merchant account. It's no longer true. eBay is not diligent when it comes to updating help pages.

Message 22 of 68
latest reply

I will give an update: I did try the PayPal option and it won't even let me select AMEX as a payment to pay for it with.

I have also found some listings that are part of the new Managed Payments that do have the AMEX logo but you cannot pay with. I did call AMEX up a second time and they are going to be getting a hold of eBay about this especially when the listing is showing the AMEX logo and it is not accepted. This isn't with all of them. It only happened I think with a few but I have since closed those tabs out, so I would have to figure out which listings do this again. I did give AMEX listing numbers for reference. This is an issue that could cause eBay to loose it's ability to accept AMEX all together. You cannot show the AMEX logo and not take that card type.

eBay has a problem and all they seem to say is contact the seller, when eBay is the problem not the seller. Good job eBay!

Message 23 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I will give an update: I did try the PayPal option and it won't even let me select AMEX as a payment to pay for it with.

I have also found some listings that are part of the new Managed Payments that do have the AMEX logo but you cannot pay with. I did call AMEX up a second time and they are going to be getting a hold of eBay about this especially when the listing is showing the AMEX logo and it is not accepted. This isn't with all of them. It only happened I think with a few but I have since closed those tabs out, so I would have to figure out which listings do this again. I did give AMEX listing numbers for reference. This is an issue that could cause eBay to loose it's ability to accept AMEX all together. You cannot show the AMEX logo and not take that card type.

eBay has a problem and all they seem to say is contact the seller, when eBay is the problem not the seller. Good job eBay!

Example listing?

LOL at the idea that Amex would cut themselves off from a $30 billion market. This isn't the corner grocery store.

Message 24 of 68
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:

Example listing?

LOL at the idea that Amex would cut themselves off from a $30 billion market. This isn't the corner grocery store.

I know but at least eBay will be getting a call from them to try to fix this issue. I cannot seem to now find one that shows the AMEX logo that isn't taking AMEX so it might have been a one time glitch that happened there which eBay is known for. The issue at hand of blocking AMEX with any piece of fine jewelry is still happening and is something that is stupid when AMEX has no restrictions on that type of item. Maybe AMEX itself will get eBay to fix this because there are consequences for not doing something, everything from AMEX charging higher fees to eBay [like AMEX charging 3% per transaction instead of 2%], to eBay loosing customers because people cannot pay for an item.....

Message 25 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I know but at least eBay will be getting a call from them to try to fix this issue.

Yes, that would make perfect sense, if there is actually something that is broken.

I cannot seem to now find one that shows the AMEX logo that isn't taking AMEX

Just like police, you can never find one when you need one? Let us know if any pop up.

Message 26 of 68
latest reply

I just tried it a few minutes ago, the AMEX logo isn't available on new Managed Payment listings but if you try to check out it is now an option again.

I got a phone call this morning from AMEX telling me they did call eBay to talk to them and to let them know of the issue.

eBay might have actually done something due to AMEX calling them to let them know. It seems as if this issue has been fixed for now. Will see if it stays this way because I use AMEX as my everyday card for stuff.

So I just made the purchase for a piece of jewelry for my girl friend. It went thru just fine so the seller sold the item and eBay got its money. The way it should have been. Customer service for eBay is terrible by not seeing it being a site wide issue, even thought I gave them listing after listing it was happening to. I even tried more than a dozen times. AMEX took care of the customer better than eBay did. 

Message 27 of 68
latest reply

I said it doesn't show the logo but it is available at checkout. I cannot try to checkout on it because it is an auction item. Try a none auction item listing, if you have an AMEX card saved.

Message 29 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I said it doesn't show the logo but it is available at checkout. I cannot try to checkout on it because it is an auction item. Try a none auction item listing, if you have an AMEX card saved.

@computeraidllc 

Interesting. Thank you for bringing this up.

It appears that within the Coin and Paper Money category that AMEX is not available on seller's listings who are enrolled in Managed Payments but it is still available on seller's listings who are NOT IN Managed Payments and are still having their payments sent to PayPal.

Coin sellers enrolled in Managed Payments

1881_CC_GSA_NGC_MS66_PL_Morgan_Silver_Dollar_Top_Pop_PL_GSA_eBay.png1898_1_Morgan_Dollar_PCGS_MS67_CAC_3092_PQ_TOP_POP_NONE_FINER_eBay.png

Coin sellers NOT ENROLLED IN Managed Payments

1893_S_1_VF20_ANACS_MORGAN_DOLLAR_eBay.png

Message 30 of 68
latest reply