cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

I didn't think sellers had this option to not allow a payment type. Today, I see with a particular seller that anytime I go to checkout with one of there items using the new Managed Payments, it says next to my AMEX card, not accepted and is greyed out. I called Managed Payments and Managed Payments accepts AMEX and they said to message the seller to see what is wrong. I told Managed Payments, the seller should not be allowed to do this. You cannot have one seller take one type of card and another seller to not. This is not the way market places are suppose to work. This needs to be addressed.

This is the item https://www.ebay.com/itm/174639437179.

Amex Not Accepted - 03-30-2021.jpg

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:

I said it doesn't show the logo but it is available at checkout. I cannot try to checkout on it because it is an auction item. Try a none auction item listing, if you have an AMEX card saved.

@computeraidllc 

Interesting. Thank you for bringing this up.

It appears that within the Coin and Paper Money category that AMEX is not available on seller's listings who are enrolled in Managed Payments but it is still available on seller's listings who are NOT IN Managed Payments and are still having their payments sent to PayPal.

Yes, I've seen that on coin listings and others. That makes it an Amex/Adyen thing, not an Amex/eBay thing.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:

I said it doesn't show the logo but it is available at checkout. I cannot try to checkout on it because it is an auction item. Try a none auction item listing, if you have an AMEX card saved.

@computeraidllc 

It appears that within the Coin and Paper Money category that AMEX is not available on seller's listings who are enrolled in Managed Payments but it is still available on seller's listings who are NOT IN Managed Payments and are still having their payments sent to PayPal.

Yes, I've seen that on coin listings and others. That makes it an Amex/Adyen thing, not an Amex/eBay thing.

You might be right. But since eBay is using Adyen as its payment processor then I would be inclined to say that that makes it an Amex/Adyen/eBay thing.

It might just be a temporary glitch or it might be a unannounced permanent policy. Like the OP, as a buyer who uses an AMEX through PayPal I sure would like to know if this is a temporary glitch or a permanent policy applied to certain types of products sold here on eBay.

As a seller with accounts enrolled into Managed Payments I sure would like to know when and where AMEX will be made available to my buyers.

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

Try and add it to the cart and see if AMEX is allowed thru. You can only do this if you have an AMEX card.

I do buy coins and will keep and eye out. If I run into this if AMEX calls again about an update I will also let them know about that as well. It is pretty bad when the card network has to call eBay for them to fix an issue.

Message 33 of 68
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@computeraidllc wrote:

@computeraidllc 

You might be right. But since eBay is using Adyen as its payment processor then I would be inclined to say that that makes it an Amex/Adyen/eBay thing.

It might just be a temporary glitch or it might be a unannounced permanent policy. Like the OP, as a buyer who uses an AMEX through PayPal I sure would like to know if this is a temporary glitch or a permanent policy applied to certain types of products sold here on eBay.

As a seller with accounts enrolled into Managed Payments I sure would like to know when and where AMEX will be made available to my buyers.

It seems to have been fixed with Fine Jewelry for now. It will allow you to pay with AMEX but it won't show it as a payment option in the listing.

According to an AMEX representative, eBay cannot block certain items from AMEX unless the item isn't allowed thru AMEX. So eBay or Adyen cannot make it a policy to not accept an AMEX card for certain items unless AMEX says that it cannot be bought. Same as a physical store, Walmart cannot deny the customer the ability to use an AMEX card to pay for Fine Jewelry unless AMEX says it cannot be bought with that payment type.

So coins are allowed. So this again is an issue for buyers as well as sellers because if someone cannot pay for an item, sellers won't be able to sell an item. If a buyer bids on an item and AMEX isn't accepted, then both the seller and eBay will have an issue as the customer cannot pay.

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

I just tried it with a proof coin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-US-Mint-Silver-Proof-Set-20RH-Last-One/233840128802

It won't let me checkout with AMEX or PayPal with AMEX selected as the payment type for PayPal. This is getting stupid. I will let AMEX know of this as well. I will also let them know that AMEX should tell eBay what isn't allowed or what categories of stuff isn't allowed.

This kind of stuff has to stop. If anyone uses AMEX please give them a call to let them know because if they get enough calls about eBay not taking payments for items that are allowed, eBay and Adyen are going to have an issue that has to taken care of because I simply am not going to go category by category with this. I shouldn't have to. AMEX has rules that eBay and Adyen have to follow.

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

Try and add it to the cart and see if AMEX is allowed thru. You can only do this if you have an AMEX card.

I do buy coins and will keep and eye out. If I run into this if AMEX calls again about an update I will also let them know about that as well. It is pretty bad when the card network has to call eBay for them to fix an issue.

@computeraidllc 

I do not keep any real credit cards on file with eBay or anyone else online these days for that matter at least whenever I can get away with it. I use PayPal as a wallet to store and secure all of my payments methods and that includes 3 different AMEX cards.

Screenshot_2021-03-31 PayPal Checkout - Review your payment B.png

The only card that eBay actually has on file for me is a Master Card that is not really a credit card but rather an old rebate card issued to me a couple of years ago for $125 when I purchased a set of 4 new tires. At the time eBay was hounding me with pop ups at checkout every time I tried to purchase something asking me to place a card on file with them. The pop ups became extremely annoying so I finally gave them the  Master Card rebate/gift card and then proceeded to spend all of it except for the last $1.21. This seems to have satisfied them and I no longer get the pop ups. So I just leave that gift card in place.

Checkout_eBay(2).png

I did not try and complete the check out for this coin as I do not actually have any interest in it. But I am bidding in quite a few auctions that end later in the weekend within the Coins and Paper Money category and more than likely I will win at least a few of those auctions. When that happens I will attempt to pay for those coins with my AMEX through PayPal and report back the results here.

One thing that I can report though is that when I purchase USPS shipping labels on eBay and select Pay Pal as my payment source which has an AMEX card set as my default preferred payment method that that AMEX card does not get charged if I am carrying a PayPal balance. It has never been this way in the past. I called Pay Pal and asked why my AMEX card was not being used as the funding source. They told me that it is due to a recent change to part of their on going agreement/contract with eBay and that if a seller has a PayPal balance then that balance had to be utilized first by default. After that the only way for a seller to pay for postage utilizing a credit card was if they had a $0 balance with Pay Pal. This is not really doable for me as I sell on other platforms as well as my own site, and because of that I am constantly receiving payments into my Pay Pal account, and therefore always have a positive balance.

So because of this I will now be purchasing all of my postage labels, both USPS as well as UPS for eBay transactions through Stamps.com instead of buying them from eBay. That way I can pay for those labels using my AMEX and receive the bonus rewards offered by those cards. Its a PITA. IMO eBay is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

AMEX is know for having some of the best rewards of all the card issuers as well as being one of the harder cards to get. The rewards is why I use it as my everyday card as well as the plan it program, that is what I believe they call it. Where any purchase over $100 you can split the amount up for a maximum of 12 months with no interest. You pay X amount each month, it is similar to HSN flex pay program. I haven't had to use it yet, but it is a nice option for those times when you have to replace something major like a stove or refrigerator.

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

A seller should not be allowed to not take AMEX or VISA or Discover.

EBay is an international site.

Discover cards can't be used outside the USA.

The merchant is allowed to choose what she will accept as payment.  (With a venue like eBay and a payment processor like PP or MP involved, there are multiple entities who are accepting payment.)

If I don't want to be paid in euros, that's my choice as a seller. If my bank won't accept Discover card as a promissory note* that is their choice.

The buyer doesn't get to choose the method of payment. His only choice is among the methods offered by the seller.

*A credit card isn't money. A credit card is a promise to pay in future based on trust.

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

You are talking in circles and are contradicting yourself. The seller should not be allowed to not take a type of card. The seller isn't processing the card, eBay is. If eBay allows a payment type, all sellers should take it. When I shop on any other platform, if it shows AMEX as a payment type, all sellers can take it. This is how eBay should work.

In the case with my card. My AMEX card isn't a credit card but a charge card. AMEX cards can be ether credit cards or charge cards. They have two totally different types and both are different. A credit card means you can carry a balance from month to month and you pay interest, if the balance isn't paid in full. A charge card  cannot carry a balance. Charge cards all have an annual fee because they are not making any money on interest. It is like the old days at the corner grocery store where you could put something on a tab and come back at the end of the week to pay. AMEX is the only company that I am aware of that has this. Visa, MasterCard and Discover don't have this.

Also this makes no sense, "The buyer doesn't get to choose the method of payment." The buyer chooses which ever payment type the merchant allows. If the buyer doesn't choose then the merchant doesn't get paid because the buyer has to run there card or pay in cash or write a check......

It is almost impossible to shop online without using some kind of card. AMEX is one of the four major ones. Managed Payments accepts this card so all sellers should be required to take it. I sell on this platform and I don't have the option of what payment types to allow. eBay makes that choice. This isn't a seller issue. This is a platform issue as all sellers in Managed Payments under this category cannot take AMEX even though AMEX does not have a restriction on anything in this category. AMEX has been told about this and they say that eBay cannot do this under the agreement they have. eBay could loose its ability to take AMEX by violating this agreement. It is a contract that eBay must follow. A merchant under the agreement with AMEX isn't allowed to say you cannot buy this item with this type unless AMEX has told the merchant that this kind of item cannot be bought. AMEX has no restrictions on jewelry of any kind. They also don't have any restrictions on coins. These seem to be two categories with this issue. It does appear as if the issue with jewelry has been resolved but it has not with coins. It still doesn't show up as a payment method in the listing but you can pay with AMEX under jewelry. Coins still doesn't not work and the platform needs to correct this issue because it is violating the card issuers agreement which eBay must follow what AMEX says. 

Message 39 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc 

So my curiosity got the better of me today. Using a buying account I added one of my AMEX cards to that eBay account to see if I could replicate your results. I made an actual purchase for some shipping supplies. That transaction went through with no problems.

I then went and attempted to make a test buy from a seller who is enrolled in eBay's Managed Payments and sells coins in the Coin and Paper Money category. And sure enough my results were the same as yours. At checkout eBay would not allow me to make that purchase using my AMEX. At the top of the checkout page it states in red "This seller doesn't accept and of these. Please ass another card or select a different payment option". So I then tried using my AMEX as my preferred method of payment through PayPal, and the results were the same. The statement that eBay uses on that page makes it look like the seller is the one who is choosing to reject the payment, and that will end up reflecting poorly on the seller; in the eyes of some buyers.

So either this is a temporary glitch or eBay and or Adyen has for some reason decided that accepting AMEX in certain categories is not going to be allowed. But eBay has never made an announcement or a policy update regarding this change. Like you have stated earlier as an AMEX user this is really concerning for me, since AMEX offers its customers the best purchase rewards in the industry.

So in the morning I will give AMEX a call and add my voice to yours and let them know that I am unable to complete certain purchases here on eBay using their card.

AMEX on eBay Not Allowed with MP Sellers in Coins.png

Message 40 of 68
latest reply

I don't get that message at the top that says the seller doesn't accept because I have other payment types on my account.

I did call AMEX again to let them know of coins and they are telling me eBay cannot block AMEX for coins. They gave me a list of what AMEX doesn't allow and it all is stuff that cannot be sold on this platform. It pretty much betting or gambling, explosives, stocks, bonds and money orders. None of these are allowed to be sold here anyways.

If you have time go into AMEX site and log in and open up chat and talk to them about this. If they keep getting people yelling about this, AMEX will do way more. AMEX is already helping me and is letting eBay know of this issue but if more people start to complain to AMEX itself, AMEX can do something about this. I am sure there are more categories out there that have this issue and we just don't know about it.

It seems to work better to use the chat feature than just the phone number. First time on the phone, the person pretty much didn't do anything but on chat is when I got far further to an actual report. Currently eBay is violating the contractual agreement they have with AMEX by not taking the card for something that is allowed.

eBay has fixed the fine jewelry on checkout but it isn't showing up on the listings.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

It looks like eBay reversed course. I tried to buy a piece of jewelry and it won't let you with AMEX with managed payments.

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I don't get that message at the top that says the seller doesn't accept because I have other payment types on my account.

I did call AMEX again to let them know of coins and they are telling me eBay cannot block AMEX for coins. They gave me a list of what AMEX doesn't allow and it all is stuff that cannot be sold on this platform. It pretty much betting or gambling, explosives, stocks, bonds and money orders. None of these are allowed to be sold here anyways.

If you have time go into AMEX site and log in and open up chat and talk to them about this. If they keep getting people yelling about this, AMEX will do way more. AMEX is already helping me and is letting eBay know of this issue but if more people start to complain to AMEX itself, AMEX can do something about this. I am sure there are more categories out there that have this issue and we just don't know about it.

It seems to work better to use the chat feature than just the phone number. First time on the phone, the person pretty much didn't do anything but on chat is when I got far further to an actual report. Currently eBay is violating the contractual agreement they have with AMEX by not taking the card for something that is allowed.

eBay has fixed the fine jewelry on checkout but it isn't showing up on the listings.

I will definitely contact AMEX as you suggested via chat sometime tomorrow early in the afternoon. And hopefully doing it that way I will have the ability to upload screenshots to give them a better understanding of where and when this is specifically happening on eBay.

As a seller I have a selling account that sells exclusively within the Coin and Paper Money category. So far that account has not received its notification to join Managed Payments. But I have another account that is already enrolled in Managed Payments. So I am really up to date on eBay's terms of service regarding MP. As far as I am aware eBay has never stated anywhere that AMEX would be an excluded payment option for buyers in the Coin and Paper Money category. For seller's like myself within this category this could be very detrimental to sales. AMEX is often times a preferred method of payment for higher dollar transactions.

As a buyer I also prefer using my AMEX gold card when making purchases from seller's outside the US and who are listing in their native currency. In those types of transactions AMEX will convert my USD into the seller's accepted currency for 1.9% over market. That rate is far and away better than what PayPal will charge buyers to convert currency. So figuring out now if this is just a temporary glitch or a permanent unnanouced policy is, like yourself really important to me as well.

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

It looks like eBay reversed course. I tried to buy a piece of jewelry and it won't let you with AMEX with managed payments.

@computeraidllc 

This also appears to be the case now within the watch category, as well.

BREITLING_CHRONOMAT_01_LIMITED_EDITION_014_200_HB0111_HE_eBay.pngBreitling NOT IN MANAGED PAYMENTS.png

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I have also found some listings that are part of the new Managed Payments that do have the AMEX logo but you cannot pay with.
This is an issue that could cause eBay to loose it's ability to accept AMEX all together. You cannot show the AMEX logo and not take that card type.

Maybe AMEX itself will get eBay to fix this because there are consequences for not doing something, everything from AMEX charging higher fees to eBay [like AMEX charging 3% per transaction instead of 2%], to eBay loosing customers because people cannot pay for an item.

At eBay Checkout

PayPal sellers:

- eBay continues using PayPal to clear the payment sources in the first box

- The seller's account at PayPal takes the buyer's payment

Managed Payments sellers:

- eBay hired Adyen to clear GooglePay/ApplePay and the payment sources in the first box

- The eBay account at PayPal takes the buyer's payment

2zfdb09hhfd0hb089dfbhfd0bhfdhy8d9gffdg.png

PayPal was too costly for eBay, so eBay went overseas to the cheaper Adyen.

Simply, Adyen cannot clear Amex for a profit at the lower-than-PayPal rate offered to eBay. They may be Neanderthals, but they're not stupid.

So Amex-cleared-by Adyen is not available. It has nothing to do with categories, nothing to do with the seller.

@computeraidllc wrote:

Here is an example listing.

Message 45 of 68
latest reply