cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay bucks on shipping

If eBay is collecting fees from sellers on shipping charges, should they be giving buyers eBay bucks on these charges?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: eBay bucks on shipping

I have always felt that eBay should not be charging fees on shipping. Back in the day they didn't do that. I don't remeber when that changed, but, when it did I called eBay and asked for an explanation and the CS rep told me that eBay implemented the fees to keep sellers from charging high shipping fees. I told them that made no sense, I explained to them that the new fees will only cause sellers to have to increase their shipping fees to cover the actual shipping and new fees. The CS rep had no answer for that one. They ended up telling me that they would put my complaint on some management board and may be if enough people complained it would be addressed. That made no sense to me either and I have learned to just deal with it.

However, you make a valid point about shipping should be part of the eBay bucks program. I never thought about it like that, but, it makes sense and I agree with you, the eBay buck credit should be given on the total of the transaction. 

Whenever, eBay sends me a survey, I always comment on eBay charging a fee on shipping and how that makes no sense. I will now start putting the eBay buck suggestion on there. Not that this will ever help change things, but, if a huge number of us do this who knows! We won't know until we try. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Sellers have been paying a 10% FVF on shipping since 2011. ebay charges a 10% FVF on the entire transaction: item price plus shipping. Sellers are charged 10% FVF on the item price immediately when the item sells. It does not matter where you purchase the postage. The charge on shipping is made when the buyer pays, since shipping may have changed due to upgrading the shipping service.

ebay did this because for years, some sellers would charge $1 for the item plus $50 for the shipping. ebay was losing a lot of money on FVF. When ebay went this route, they gave sellers free insertions and they dropped the FVF to 10% across the board. Previous to this, there was an insertion fee on each listing, depending on the opening bid, and a tiered FVF depending on the category of the listing.

You need to list with Calculated Shipping. Enter the packaged weight, rounded up to the nearest pound. Enter the dimensions of the package/envelope, rounded up to the nearest inch, and the method of shipping. This way, ebay can calculate the shipping from the buyer's zip code to your zip code. If you charge the retail counter rate, but print your labels via ebay or Paypal, you will be charged the commercial base rate. You don't lose any money this way. The difference in rates is enough to cover the FVF on shipping.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@japan-treazures wrote:

the CS rep told me that eBay implemented the fees to keep sellers from charging high shipping fees. I told them that made no sense

shipping should be part of the eBay bucks program. I never thought about it like that, but, it makes sense

Whenever, eBay sends me a survey, I always comment on eBay charging a fee on shipping and how that makes no sense.

That's to punish the misguided seller attempting a $1 item with $99 shipping.

And not rewarding eBay Bucks on shipping is to teach both buyers and sellers to seek/use free shipping for increased eBay Bucks/higher search ranking. It's not an oversight.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply