cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam???

Lady selling Avalon 2006 for 1,000 when I asked why so cheap was posted on facebook ad.
Subject: 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS

Hello,

My name is Sarah, I'm emailing you about 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan with an gas engine, automatic transmission and only 85k miles. Never had or need any paint/body work done, garaged keep always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. This car has been used by my husband who died 4 month ago. The price was reduced to $1,000 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell it before the end of the month, when I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and do not want to store it. Hate to sell it but its not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year.Also, my daughter have another car so there's no use on keeping it. If you are interested reply to email.

Some details of the car:
Vehicle title - Clean
Mileage - 85,114
Transmission - Automatic
Fuel type - Gasoline

I look forward to hearing from you,
Sgt. Sarah Biazar

Right now I'm in a military base Malmstrom AFB, Montana. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested just email with your legal name (your right full name 'cause it will appear on the papers), full postal address where you want the car delivered and your cell phone # where you can be reached so we can get the ball rolling. 
Thank you
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Scam???

Just in case you missed this information:  This is a standard motor vehicle scam.  They are most often on Craig's List, but can be on any similar site.  Nothing about this listing is true.  The picture is stolen from somewhere.  

She/he will not have "already left the country", but will have already spent the OP's money while he is standing in the driveway awaiting the arrival of his purchase.  

Your question to the OP is basically moot.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Scam???

Ebay has nothing to do with anything you might see on some other website.
It is a Scam!
And he is no lady.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

How many miles on the car?

Smells fishy to me....  What are you going to do if something goes wrong but she's already left the country?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Oh.  85K...for some reason, the upper half of your post didn't load on my puter...

It sounds too good to be true...assuming the car had regular oil changes (with synthetic oil) and wasn't about to need a new engine already?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Wow. First one I've seen where they included all the "scammer reasons" - spouse died, being deployed, currently in training, medical worker yada yada 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Usually, this type of scam involves

Craiglist. This scammer used Facebook to make it look more convincing. Who in their right mind would sell a 2006 Avalon ZLS for $1000? There is no car, it's a scam and look elsewhere.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

I got one of those scam phone calls about winning some kind of lottery - something like 4 million dollars!  OH BOY I told the lady on the phone.  She said all I had to do was pay some kind of fee for transferring the money - they would release the check to me!

I told her to go ahead and pay the fee for me, and that when the check arrives I WOULD SPLIT IT DOWN THE MIDDLE WITH HER.  She refused!  Can you believe that?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

I heard only today that Facebook was about to hire about a bazillion 'Fact Checkers'. But with all the problems THERE, eBay references will never become their priority.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Crazy huh waiting to see what next mess will be from them

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

@cathmccasli-0,

pink.fish.rule's post;

"First one I've seen where they included all the "scammer reasons" - spouse died, being deployed, currently in training, medical worker... "; 

Isn't actually all that unusual. I've seen many listings with all or most of the the scam reasons for a low price need to sell the vehicle quickly sale.  I'm surprised their message didn't ask for payment to be made with gift cards as well. 

These types of scams are found on every site where vehicles are listed. Every now and then someone even tries it on eBay Motors.  eBay Motors buyer protections only work if a vehicle is listed on eBay. They do not cover vehicles listed on other sites. All sites offering vehicles for sale also have some sort of Scam alert telling you what to avoid.

Never buy a vehicle of any sort without inspecting it yourself or hiring a vehicle appraiser to inspect it in the seller's location. If a seller says they can't or won't be available to make a vehicle available for inspection, pass on the listing.   eBay does not offer a free "inspection period". There are companies who will handle an escrow payment but they charge for the service.   Auto transporters charge a lot of money to deliver cars so no honest seller is going to take the chance of paying for a vehicle to be returned because of a code error, stain on a seat, scratched paint, etc.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

@pink.fish.rule wrote:

Wow. First one I've seen where they included all the "scammer reasons" - spouse died, being deployed, currently in training, medical worker yada yada 

Nope - They missed the church group going with them .....

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Just in case you missed this information:  This is a standard motor vehicle scam.  They are most often on Craig's List, but can be on any similar site.  Nothing about this listing is true.  The picture is stolen from somewhere.  

She/he will not have "already left the country", but will have already spent the OP's money while he is standing in the driveway awaiting the arrival of his purchase.  

Your question to the OP is basically moot.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

I’ve got a notification from eBay Motors, saying that they had sent you the details on our transaction. Just wanted to be sure, that you have received it and you understood how to make/confirm payment. you can see in the invoice how to make the payment with the agent who is handling our transaction. Please get back to me asap and inform me when you will be able to make the payment so I can start the delivery to your home address.

Please check your BULK SPAM JUNK if you don't find the invoice in your INBOX
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Ik ty!!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Scam???

Hi  My name is Lucy Thompson and I'm a medical nurse. The 2009 Honda Accord 4 DR EX-L is available, priced at $1,400. It has a 96,100 miles. The car is in very good condition. It was never been involved in accidents and never had engine problems. Doesn't have oil leaks or rust, runs very well. Comes with a clean title, under my name. The only reason for selling is that I don't really need it, I won it after the divorce with my ex-husband!  God bless you

Hi, I have sent all the details about this deal to eBay, they will contact you tomorrow morning, with all details.Please let me know as soon they will contact you and if you agree their terms so we can move forward with this deal. I am waiting for your email.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply