cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Automatic Payments for Offers

How do I stop ebay from automatically charging me for an offer I made after said offer is okayed by the seller?  I don't want it to be automatic, I want the chance to at least decide at that point whether I still need the item  etc.  

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Stopping Automatic Payments for Offers

I like it for the nonpayers, they are annoying. I just wish I could set my seller balance or Ebay Credit Card points to this. They should add that option.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

@redteasky wrote:

How do I stop ebay from automatically charging me for an offer I made after said offer is okayed by the seller?  

I attached a low-limit* credit card to my PayPal account, a secured card that's only good for up to its security deposit. It's an valid payment method, but eBay won't know it won't cover your best offer. 

*or use a maxed-out credit card, OMG 

nh7235_0-1688800258771.jpeg

Then when the seller accepts your best offer but the automatic payment fails, you can check out as normal and pay with a regular credit card.

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

Also a good way for sellers to make money off shipping.

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

What if I wish to change my form of payment, say from my checking account to a credit card? What if I want to do the PayPal pay in four?

I have always paid after every auction, and I think it in poor taste to punish the paying customers for the irresponsibility of the non-paying customers.

I find myself growing more and more disenchanted with eBay. 

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

The time to decide whether you need or want something is before committing to buy.  

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Re: shipping

I suspect Ebay will not require a seller to do separate mailings as you demand, could be more profitable for a seller to combine & just pocket the cost difference?

If a buyer pays for something (i.e., a service, which includes being charged for separate shipments, and the seller does not provide what has been paid for, the transaction(s) are eligible for INAD MBG coverage.

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

If a buyer pays for something (i.e., a service, which includes being charged for separate shipments, and the seller does not provide what has been paid for, the transaction(s) are eligible for INAD MBG coverage.

@varebelrose 

Interesting statement, and rather logical thinking.  In light of the new program where an upfront payment method is required for BIDDING or MAKING OFFERS where a combined invoice is no longer allowed, what sort of INAD claim would be involved?  What specifically should be chosen from the dropdown menu? 

For example and purposes of discussion, a buyer wins five auctions that are autopaid upon completion that had $10 shipping on each.  In total the buyer is charged $100 in shipping (and taxes if applicable) for those ten items which the seller then puts in one box and ships for $6.50, and does nothing to refund the difference.  

As far as I know, a seller has never been required to refund the difference in the past (i.e. multiple IPR purchases, etc), with the argument given that the old "buyer knew the cost in advance, and therefore the complaints are quite invalid" mantra.   I have never been aware of any INAD that included "seller charged to much for shipping". 

There already have been a few complaints by buyers of this happening on the BUYER BOARD with a similar example of multiple items being paid for separately via the autopay program and the items shipped on one box anyway.   How should these victims be advised?  Would they have to ship back ALL the items that came in that parcel?  Would the seller be somehow 'on the hook' for the total payments made because they were shipped together?  

I have often wondered (before this autopay business) what mobile/app users did when buying multiple items when they were never offered the opportunity anyway to "request total"?  Too many people suggested that buyers were not intelligent enough to "use the cart" and "request a total", when in fact is was not an option for the buyer at all. 

Your post just gave me more to think about. 

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

Yes, but as an example, I make offers and like to split my payment up through PayPal and now I can't do that because it automatically charges the one you enter.

Plus I would rather not link my PayPal account to ebay in case ebay account is hacked. PayPal separated is added security. 

I have made tons of offers and always paid on time. This kind of crap to stop the bad ones absolutely ruins it for people that do things correctly. 

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Just had this, was checking if my offer was accepted only to find eBay had sent the money already. Two things I often do when I win an offer/auction: email the seller about additional delivery details (delivery note, delaying dispatch etc.) - with the silent win & payment I might miss the boat on that one; the other is browse their other items in case they have something else I might what to combine shipping on... this I almost certainly won't do now as I can't combine shipping on something already paid for! So inconvenient for the buyer and losing potential sales for  the seller (and revenue for eBay).

As others say, I might wish to change payment method at point of payment and would definitely prefer to authorise each payment via non-recorded/non-reusable means... I believe this was a 'single specific payment' authorisation but still concerning.

Also I suspect that may be harmful to my credit rating if I make multiple such authorisations that never complete?

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

The decision to buy the item should be there BEFORE you place the offer. 

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Seller are kept in limbo here for days and days with buyers who are wish washy about a purchase. Then these buyers decide they wont pay. It’s a bad spot for a seller to be in on here when that happens.

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

This is why I do not like the feature. I want to make an offer. If it is accepted I go back to that sellers page and make more offers or buy more to combine shipping. This setting is definitely causing me to buy less.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

I just found out yesterday the 2 accounts I use are now being punished with this auto pay. I was waiting til the 20th, my cc cut off date, to make a bunch of offers. After attempting a few and seeing this I gave up. I will probably find the items elsewhere rather than cave and be one of the sheep.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

Where I differ with the OP is I decide whether I "need" the item before I make the offer, not after it is accepted.

Any offer I make that is accepted, I follow through with my commitment and complete the payment.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Wow, what a jerk. I buy things and use several different payment methods depending on the item, when ebay automatically selects a card it causes untold grief for my accountant.

Also, eBay has a non-paying buyer problem because it doesn't terminate non-paying bidders.......

Message 30 of 50
latest reply