cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Automatic Payments for Offers

How do I stop ebay from automatically charging me for an offer I made after said offer is okayed by the seller?  I don't want it to be automatic, I want the chance to at least decide at that point whether I still need the item  etc.  

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Stopping Automatic Payments for Offers

You can not stop it.

You are in the "test" for pre-authorizing payments for offers.

The time to decide if you want something is before you make the offer, and that is the reasoning behind the "test".    To weed out non-payers.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

You can't. eBay is rolling out this feature because unpaid items are a huge problem on this site.

If you're not certain about making the purchase then don't make an offer until you are certain.

A seller can turn off the requirement for auto-pay offers on their account, but typically only sellers that rely on buyers' multi-item purchases and offer combined shipping will consider that.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

You are the exact reason eBay instituted auto-charging. An offer to a seller is your commitment to purchase the item, not to say, "Hey, you know, I decided I don't want this after all, so never mind". So if you don't like it you have no one to blame but yourself. 

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Thanks for your info, buyselljack2016, it's very good to know and I will make darn sure before I offer that I want it.  Actually I've never renegged on any offers, but I just didn't like the idea of automatic payment.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Thanks for your info, wastingtime, it's very good to know and I will make darn sure before I offer that I want it.  Actually I've never renegged on any offers, but I just didn't like the idea of automatic payment.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

f you're not certain about making the purchase then don't make an offer until you are certain....

@wastingtime101 

I have a 25 year old ID I use for buying.  I have NEVER not paid for something, it is usually paid within in a few minutes of my offer being  accepted.  My ID has now been enrolled and I refuse to provide one.  Typically, if a seller has lots of items BIN/Best Offer, I will use the best offer feature and SEND numerous ones to the same seller. 

This new feature prevents any combining for one shipping price.  I will not spend an extra $5 shipping for ten items ($50) that combined would be about six ounces.   Once you supply eBay with that payment source combining items from one seller is no longer an option.  

So far, I have asked seven sellers to remove their ebay awarded "default" setting so that I could make offers on many of their listings.  Only one complied, the rest never even responded. One I gave a list of which listings specifically I was interested in and what my offers were going to be.  No response, seller got nothing.   My B/Offers are typically a dollar or so less so I am not stuck in the IPR issue on small items. 

I imagine some sellers will catch on when they apply it to auctions.   No more bidding with the hopes of any saving on the seventeen items you won from the same seller. I find the fact that they never informed sellers when that buyer requirement defaulting to YES was placed on their managing buyer preference page, while continuing to auto enroll buyer IDs quite underhanded. 

For sellers, you'd better send EACH of those items to me separately with their own tracking number and pay the fees on all that shipping as well. 

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

You can keep trying different sellers with the item until you find one who has opted out of the pre-authorization requirement (it causes problems with combined shipping) in which case the form to set up the pre-auth doesn't come up.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Hey @ittybitnot - I get that and the frustration is real. I'd never diminish it. My comment above that you quoted was geared towards single item purchases and an OP that expressed they wanted the option of not following through after submitting the offer.

You'll see I later included a note about sellers turning it off for combined shipping.

I don't use offers, but if I did, and if you messaged me as a buyer wanting to make multiple offers - no way I'd ignore you. I'd either turn off the setting, or if multi item purchases weren't the norm for me I would keep the setting on but I would add your ID to my exemption list.

It's not an ideal set up right now because of the combined shipping issue which is why I don't think eBay's rolled it out site wide after all this time (what, a year and a half?) since it first appeared.

Then there was that Seller Update where eBay said they were working on a bulk offer feature. We haven't heard a peep since then, but they said the bulk offer feature was supposed to replace the request total in cart button and would also allow buyers to make offers on multiple listings from the same seller as a bundle and combined shipping could be part of the offer. No idea if eBay's still working on that or if it proved too complex, but if they are, that's aimed at solving the problem you and other buyers are facing.

If you want to read more about it I can look for a link later, or you can search yourself.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

If you want to read more about it I can look for a link later, or you can search yourself.

@wastingtime101 

I remember eBay posting that.  I remember when they first started it, and got so many opinions and alternate plans for those sellers seemingly plagued by NPBs. I know that they have not done anything about it, but still proclaim auctions are next.  Since My ID is already "in" no way am I providing that "pre payment funding source" until it is sorted out.  

FWIW eBay is still claiming it is a TEST (according to those reps that answer the social media portals), but at the same time they won't let anyone "out" of the test EVER so they say.   A good portion of my BUYS are auction sales as well.  I look to see "what else the seller has", and will bid accordingly for other items that I "sort of like" but don't care if I don't win.  So when they apply it to auctions, that extra bidding on other items is over.

There is a pop us screen that appears for me now....that gives the impression eBay is doing me a favor by "streamlining" (or some other stupid catch phrase) my buying by helping me pay for items right away or some such nonsense.   That is my clue the seller has the preference set.  Asking for an exemption is taking entirely too much time.  You would not know it is ME anyway, but thanks for that!!!!  LOL. 

I think this ID only has feedback because I forgot I was logged in on it when I bought.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

I would keep the setting on but I would add your ID to my exemption list.

@wastingtime101 

Is there an exemption list for this particular problem with my ID?   

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

"Is there an exemption list for this particular problem with my ID? "

I'm sure you know the answer to that already. An individual seller can place you on their personal exemption list. There is no way to turn it off a buying ID under settings. Problem of unpaid items stems from buyers so eBay isn't going to give them that choice - it lies with the seller.

But as I said, if they are still working on that "bulk offer" feature it has the potential to solve this issue.

"You would not know it is ME anyway, but thanks for that!!!!"

My comments apply to any buyer that might approach me about a multi item purchase (if I accepted offers, which I don't for the type of product I sell). 🙂

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

this is the link you need to go & turn off automatic offers… This will only work for sellers! In which, is a good thing!! People will spend more $ on your items… As the buyer, you have to request it from the seller as another user mentioned above… Thx

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

@wastingtime101 
This new feature prevents any combining for one shipping price.  

So far, I have asked seven sellers to remove their ebay awarded "default" setting so that I could make offers on many of their listings.  Only one complied, the rest never even responded. One I gave a list of which listings specifically I was interested in and what my offers were going to be.  No response, seller got nothing.   

For sellers, you'd better send EACH of those items to me separately with their own tracking number 

Re: no response

Some Ebay sellers are not very interested in making a sale sooner rather than sometime latter.

Re: shipping

I suspect Ebay will not require a seller to do separate mailings as you demand, could be more profitable for a seller to combine & just pocket the cost difference?

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Realize the higher the cost of shipping to the buyer, the more ebay earns in fvf's

Automatic payments could unfortunately result in a reduction of multiple item purchasing by buyers.

Message 15 of 50
latest reply