cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers in China, that State they are in US???

For the second time recently I purchased an item after specifically noting that the seller was here in CA where I live,..so I could get it relatively quick. It was only AFTER I did the Buy It Now that it says that it will take over a MONTH to get to me,..which clearly tells me that once again this is a seller in China that has managed to circumvent me opting in for "US sellers only". Can anything be done about this bait and switch routine among Chian sellers,..that is becoming more and more common?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Sellers in China, that State they are in US???

CA is a port that China uses to get goods here, so listings that use CA as the location are questionable.  Click on the seller's id, it will take you to their Profile Page.  It will say where the seller is based~possibly something like, Based in China, this id has been registered since etc.  While some sellers may have warehouses in the US, often the item inexplicably ships from the country the seller is based in.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@avintagejool wrote:

For the second time recently I purchased an item after specifically noting that the seller was here in CA where I live,..so I could get it relatively quick. It was only AFTER I did the Buy It Now that it says that it will take over a MONTH to get to me,..which clearly tells me that once again this is a seller in China that has managed to circumvent me opting in for "US sellers only". Can anything be done about this bait and switch routine among Chian sellers,..that is becoming more and more common?

Hi @avintagejool, while eBay isn't able to cancel this transaction for you, situations like this may be eligible for protection through our eBay Money Back Guarantee program. You can open a return request once the item is received and ask eBay to step in and help if the seller is unable to address your concerns for some reason. In the meantime, I recommend you request the seller cancel the order if they have not already shipped it out to you. You can also report instances of item location misrepresentation directly through the listing under our search and browse manipulation policies and we will review for appropriate action.

@Anonymous

The thing I find interesting about this and that I have no answer for is the part about AFTER the OP made the purchase from a listing that stated it was located in the USA, the screen then told them that it would be a month+ for delivery since it was coming from China.

Does that happen?

How does that happen?

If it happens, why in the world would Ebay allow the purchase agreement to be changed by the seller AFTER the purchase was made?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@avintagejool wrote:

Hi @avintagejool, I wanted to add that you can check the listing for the shipping details of the item as the delayed timeframe in of itself does not indicate an item location issue. Sometimes sellers simply have an extended handling time (which looks like the case in this situation), and this is a particularly common event during this time of the year when vacations are planned and reserves of stock may become depleted. If you have evidence that shows the item is coming from a different location that what is stated in the listing, you are welcome to get this reported to us. An example could be the tracking information showing the origin of the package being in another country. I'm not able to see any indication from my review that the item is coming from China, just that the handling time is 10 business days and that the delivery estimate provided in the listing at the time of purchase was for later in January.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Hi community of buyers in this discussion thread about sellers listed in the USA in both item location and about me page then shipping from China or another country. My opinion here is not legal nor verified. I have had this account for 18 years and I worked in USA aerospace for 19 years finding vendors that lie about where parts for jets are manufactured. I have exposed more than a few sellers on eBay selling stolen aerospace parts, most noteably a helmet, which is not this subject today. Working over the holidays, I found out a lot about this issue. Ebay appears to me to be a seller platform only. Buyers are the larger number that can be replaced easily. I viewed a lot of corporate level videos, nothing about security for buyers in purchases. Ebay supports only the sellers. Being in here does not solve anything having to do with fraud. With that said, please google "Chinese fraud on eBay" and you will find more than eBay getting taken in by these scams. By taken in, I meant inside the bank to receive their fees from tax evading sellers specifically and knowingly in my opinion. Ebay takes the legal stance in my opinion, that they are not paypal. Paypal may say they only handle the money. You the buyer, are left with little recourse and this forum is not your solution to fixing the issue of finding fraud here. I am working with tax people in England and Germany, where this issue is very public, not like here in the USA. Lobbying works best where you live, and the companies that tolerate this fraud are losing in Europe, both ethically and in losing these bad sellers that make millions. Ebay lobbies very hard for no USA taxes to be paid - on the internet as stated by corporate at eBay open, an event held each year. This naturally flows into tax fraud ignorance from other countries that skip our taxes, as tax evasion is another piece of this puzzle being uncovered in Europe. In Europe, about 2 percent of the sellers we talk about in this thread appear to pay taxes. I have to use appear and in my opinion because it keeps this alive a little longer. Ebay is a great paltform, it just needs our help. I will have a national team working on this at the grassroots level in 2019. I will of course invite eBay to be willfully involved in the solution. We need eBay to stay alive and well. You can see how much I write here, and look at my response above, all edited down to two sentences. Talk later

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

It is so much easier to read posts that are broken down to paragraphs.  One long paragraph is extremely hard to read.  Just a suggestion that you might find useful.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@catndoggy wrote:

Hi community I am working with tax people in England and Germany

I have to use appear and in my opinion because it keeps this alive a little longer.

You can see how much I write here, and look at my response above, all edited down to two sentences. Talk later

Given the leadership it appears we will need to pray for England and Germany in my opinion.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@catndoggy

Some of that rambling manifesto I’m struggling to understand.  I’ll take a stab at a couple of things I did pull out of it.

Ebay supports only the sellers.

Not at all. The MBG tips the scales in favor of the buyer in a major way. As long as the proper steps are followed, it is a very rare occurrence that the buyer gets defrauded. OTOH, defrauding a seller is a walk in the park. 

Ebay lobbies very hard for no USA taxes to be paid

I am aware of that lobbying as to SALES taxes.  The rest of your argument appears to be about INCOME taxes if I’m reading you correctly. The sales tax issue is being addresssed more aggressively this year. As for income taxes, 1099s are issued to those who qualify but compliance is between the IRS and the seller. 

It is a given that eBay does court high volume Chinese sellers and reap heavily the profits from their selling fees. But again, it’s the MBG and checking sellers’ feedback that protects the buyer. Maybe I’m jaded, but I just assume that anything I might look to buy from China will be counterfeit, delayed, lost in the mail or otherwise a pain in the neck to deal with so I abstain.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for replying. Not sure who works for eBay or Lithium in this forum. No doubt that some passionate people here do really want to help. That's the sad part as an American watching other countries including China take advantage of a simple to thwart set of issues in account set ups for sellers. Aerospace does not allow any hands to touch American jet parts. It cannot leave the country for repair and return to be delivered as USA based. You cannot employ foreign nationals at your parts site to handle the work that touches the part. This issue here is like I'm back at work again as the templates to detect the fraud apply. What I am sure about is that I can find the fraud on eBay, have found the fraud on eBay, and continue to find the fraud all over the world. I use google translate like some people breathe air. China is openly using eBay. Specifically inside England, Australia and Germany. On the other fronts, I am recruiting others in forums not located here. Australia is very motivated. I discovered the world wide effort at a user level and activist level for a lot more than my uneducated rant there that you are replying to, or this reply. It takes a learning curve, I have not posted here since. In saying that, there are no solutions here for conversations in this forum going back over a decade. I have found help that eBay provided in replies to no effect. Connecting the dots is easy using journalist research tools to show connections all over the world. Having businesses separated yet collaborating is a very dangerous thing unless you have professional and social distortion place. I am gathering support conversations here showing willful disregard. I will approach eBay one time to be fair, laying out the plan in action. I believe that eBay can sort this fraud out with extreme efficiency if the desire was created. I am also a lean blackbelt for office and factory. Resistance is a normal attitude for me when change is required. I have no intention of damaging eBay to closure. I see this as an ethical, united effort of buyers and sellers struggling in their respective country against easy to find fraud. I like eBay and it will outlast most platforms IMHO. I went through quite a bit of CEO, CFO and other corporate disarray at Boeing resulting in prison time for some, resulting in the departure of Alan Mullaly to Ford Motor Co. Sometimes, avoiding the simple complaints is not a good thing for personal freedom and careers.
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@catndoggy

All moderators and CSRs from Ebay are labeled as such, no exceptions.  For example, all the posts on this thread are just members of Ebay.  

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@catndoggy

All moderators and CSRs from Ebay are labeled as such, no exceptions.  For example, all the posts on this thread are just members of Ebay.  

Except for post #14 by Trinton 🙂

@catndoggy ... If you look at post #14 in this thread, you will notice that the eBay employee is clearly labeled as such.

All others are regular members like you 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@catndoggy

Except for post #14 by Trinton 🙂

@catndoggy ... If you look at post #14 in this thread, you will notice that the eBay employee is clearly labeled as such.

All others are regular members like you 🙂

LOL and it is such a long thread for me to screw that posting up for.  It was too late for me to be postings.  I know I need both eyes opened at all times.

Thank you for the correction.  Trinton has been on this thread a couple of times.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

THANK YOU!!! I came here to complain about this very thing.  Why is ebay allowing trickery to get us to buy from China.  I ordered three items this weekend two were supposedly from Pomona, CA and one is supposed to be from Hillsborough, NJ and all are actually coming from China!  Boy am I mad!  And this issue will be well documented in the low feedback I plan to give in the comments.  I never buy from China because it takes so long to get anything! I always check off US only in the search criteria and to be tricked??? Oh that just ain't going to fly baby!

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for that information. The items I am now waiting on will be the last I will buy on e-bay-ging.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@giju-51 wrote:

THANK YOU!!! I came here to complain about this very thing.  Why is ebay allowing trickery to get us to buy from China.  I ordered three items this weekend two were supposedly from Pomona, CA and one is supposed to be from Hillsborough, NJ and all are actually coming from China!  Boy am I mad!  And this issue will be well documented in the low feedback I plan to give in the comments.  I never buy from China because it takes so long to get anything! I always check off US only in the search criteria and to be tricked??? Oh that just ain't going to fly baby!

Make sure you report your sellers to Ebay for this practice as it is against the rules.  

Message 29 of 29
latest reply