cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers in China, that State they are in US???

For the second time recently I purchased an item after specifically noting that the seller was here in CA where I live,..so I could get it relatively quick. It was only AFTER I did the Buy It Now that it says that it will take over a MONTH to get to me,..which clearly tells me that once again this is a seller in China that has managed to circumvent me opting in for "US sellers only". Can anything be done about this bait and switch routine among Chian sellers,..that is becoming more and more common?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Contact Ebay, report the seller and get your order cancelled before they ship it.  This should not happen.

So that I'm clear on this.  The listing said it was shipping from California.  You had no idea it was coming from China until the check out process and then it told you that it was coming from China?  If that is how that went, I find that VERY interesting.

Seller's can't change the location of the item after the sale.  So if your seller did that, I'd like to know how?  Not that I want to do it, but because I'd like to better understand this issue.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Yep, located in Texas on the item, shipped from China on the invoice sent by rover.ebay.com. Negs piling up as it's late 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

"The listing said it was shipping from California." Item Location; San Jose. Ca" . Please look at the auction. It gave no indication it would be coming from China until AFTER I paid and that is when it was indicated that it would take up to a month to reach me. I am in Central CA, and San Jose is Northern CA. This has happened to me before where the seller states "Item location" is in CA., and I buy it only to find out it was being shipped from China. So I can phone eBay and report this and have the sale cancelled?
eBay item number:

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@avintagejool wrote:
"The listing said it was shipping from California." Item Location; San Jose. Ca" . Please look at the auction. It gave no indication it would be coming from China until AFTER I paid and that is when it was indicated that it would take up to a month to reach me. I am in Central CA, and San Jose is Northern CA. This has happened to me before where the seller states "Item location" is in CA., and I buy it only to find out it was being shipped from China. So I can phone eBay and report this and have the sale cancelled?
eBay item number:

I wasn't trying to argue with you, I was trying to make sure I understood.  Ebay has rules on this and it is very concerning if Ebay is allowing a seller to over-ride the location stated in the listing when they send an invoice.

Or is that you are seeing their primary address on the invoice, not the location from the listing.  As the two addresses do not have to be the same.

I don't have any answers, just questions.  Lets see if we can get some light shed on this subject.

@Anonymous

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@avintagejool

That listing currently says "out of stock", and only ships to the US. However, it also shows an extended handling time of ten days, and a current expected delivery window of January 23rd and January 30th (for a hypothetical order made today -- if it was in stock, presumably). It's possible those numbers have changed since the item was updated to "out of stock", particularly the handling time, although a look at another of their items, a full mattress which is also advertised as "ships from United States" shows the same shipping window and extended handling time.

It's possible that the seller does have a warehouse in San Jose, but ran out of stock there (bad), and decided that rather than take the "out of stock" defect that the better alternative would be to ship from outside the US.

Oddly, the seller does not appear to charge sales tax to buyers in California, but does (or might?) to those in Washington and Minnesota.

Avoiding sellers that advertise extended ten day handling times and one month shipping times would seem to be a reasonable course of action.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Oddly, the seller does not appear to charge sales tax to buyers in California, but does (or might?) to those in Washington and Minnesota.

Ebay is adding that to every listing I've looked at in the last few days.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

Ebay is adding that to every listing I've looked at in the last few days.

They are preparing for the upcoming tax collection changes next month.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

I am so sorry if I came off as "arguing" with you. No,....I SO appreciate your help on this.
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

"Avoiding sellers that advertise extended ten day handling times and one month shipping times would seem to be a reasonable course of action." I swear the auction did not show an "extended shipping time" when I did the BIN. That is why I got so irritated AFTER I paid and saw that it could take up to a month to receive it. Deceitful seller.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@avintagejool wrote:
I am so sorry if I came off as "arguing" with you. No,....I SO appreciate your help on this.

I'm glad because I think you raise some really good questions and I'd really like to the the actual answers, not guesses and opinions, which is all I can offer at this point.  

Hopefully on Monday one of the blues will pop in and give us some guidance on this subject.  

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Same thing happened to me it said ships from California estimated delivery Dec 24. Found out after it’s coming from China , tracking doesn’t work, item still hasn’t arrived.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

It is a policy violation to misrepresent Item Location.  There is a REPORT ITEM on every listing.  Right side, just above the item number.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@avintagejool wrote:

For the second time recently I purchased an item after specifically noting that the seller was here in CA where I live,..so I could get it relatively quick. It was only AFTER I did the Buy It Now that it says that it will take over a MONTH to get to me,..which clearly tells me that once again this is a seller in China that has managed to circumvent me opting in for "US sellers only". Can anything be done about this bait and switch routine among Chian sellers,..that is becoming more and more common?

Hi @avintagejool, while eBay isn't able to cancel this transaction for you, situations like this may be eligible for protection through our eBay Money Back Guarantee program. You can open a return request once the item is received and ask eBay to step in and help if the seller is unable to address your concerns for some reason. In the meantime, I recommend you request the seller cancel the order if they have not already shipped it out to you. You can also report instances of item location misrepresentation directly through the listing under our search and browse manipulation policies and we will review for appropriate action.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

The CEO stated; China is the future direction of eBay.  You can expect more of the same deceit until he's ousted for his poor performance.     

Message 15 of 29
latest reply