cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Chance Offer question

Lets say I am buying a car through auction.

And before someone tells me that ebay states "With a Second Chance Offer, a non-winning bidder gets the chance to buy the item at a price equal to their last bid..."
That doesn't really clarify things for me...

I put in a bid for $2000 but I am winning at $1500.

A sports bidder comes in, bids $2100 and wins the car but fails to pay...

Seller decides to issue me a 2nd chance offer, here's the question:

Do I receive the offer for my original winning bid of $1500...
Or would I have to pony up the max of $2000?

And just to be clear, while I can understand the logic behind paying $2000 it really wouldn't be fair to me since I would've "won" at $1500 before the sport bidder came around... The real question however, which is it?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Been quite a while since I've been offered a second chance offer, but they were always at the amount the high bidder bid, not my own bid.   Have no idea if things have changed in that regard. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@broto_64,

Using the example of an eBay auto auction does not work since bids on vehicles are not binding. If the winning bidder finds issues with a vehicle the price can be renegotiated, or the bidder can walk away. If a second chance offer is sent the seller can specify the price of the offer as long as it is less than the winning bid or reserve price if there was one. The 2nd chance offer not be binding either. 

Using your example but for a non vehicle auction, the seller could send you an offer for your $2,000 bid, since the winner exceeded that amount when they bid. In the bid history your $2K bid would be the 2nd to last one shown, before the winner's bid of $2,100 was accepted.

FYI, If as your profile shows, you have not bought anything yet on ebay.  You will be limited on how much you can spend/bid and/or how many items you can buy at first. Until you prove to be a reliable payer.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote: ... I put in a bid for $2000 but I am winning at $1500.

A sports bidder comes in, bids $2100 and wins the car but fails to pay...

Seller decides to issue me a 2nd chance offer, here's the question:

Do I receive the offer for my original winning bid of $1500...
Or would I have to pony up the max of $2000? ...

When a seller sends a SCO, eBay generates a new listing which is identical to the original auction, except that it's a fixed price listing with the price set at the underbidder's highest proxy bid.  This is automatically set by eBay and the seller cannot change it.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If another bidder won you would pay the full amount of your bid.   This is set by eBay, not the seller.

If nobody won because the Reserve Price was not met in eBay Motors: Motor Vehicles (and a couple of other high-price categories) then the seller sets the price for a Second Chance Offer at an amount up to the  amount of the Reserve Price.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ah, I always forget that Motors has its own separate set of policies!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

As to the "why", you do NOT know that you would have won at $1500.00.  Once both your bid and the winner's bid was in place   your bid set the price ("current bid")  at 1 bid increment over the full amount of your bid, and nobody else could place a bid for less than 1 increment over that current bid (2 increments over your bid, unless your bid was just below the top of its increment bracket).  There very well could have been someone else willing to pay  more than $1500 but less than $2050 (the bid increment is $25 from $1000 to $2499.99, not $100) who would have outbid you or raised the price.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

And just to be clear, while I can understand the logic behind paying $2000 it really wouldn't be fair to me since I would've "won" at $1500 before the sport bidder came around... The real question however, which is it?

Just because winning buyer did not follow through with their winning bid does not mean that your $2000.00 bid is not fair, your bid did register  fair and square at $2000.00

The fair thing is that you are not obligated to pay because it is a second chance OFFER.

You don't seem to like to OFFER.... so don't buy it.

Sellers are never obligated to make that offer to you in the first place.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You are correct, I did however present the question to Facebook Ebay and they stated that in the original example the 2nd chance offer would come in at the $2000 mark. However and as you mentioned the bids are not truly binding and thus the actual price of the vehicle can be renegotiated, which that opens up another whole can of worms but I have the answer to my question and thank you.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply