cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment info required when making an offer

Please note, while eBay's message says 'Now you CAN', it is now  you must. Where I come from, 'can' implies choice, 'must' doesn't.  eBay's message is, at best, shady, at worst, deceptive. Chewing back the word 'lie...'

Now, I know plenty of sellers will rejoice at the news: no more offers sent, accepted, then the buyer sitting on the item without reasonably quickly paying.

I know there will be occasions where multiple offers, especially 'free shipping' implying savings to the seller, and items which can be picked up end up requiring the seller to refund, and isn't that a nasty word, causing things to move less than smoothly.

Again, I understand why, and I will adjust, and probably counter-offer far less often, but I still think eBay didn't clearly, see above, prepare this change.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Payment info required when making an offer

What I have always done which is much easier is I put everything in a box, then I weigh the box and only make a label for one if the items, and...

@atlasesattic 

For some reason, I think you are missing the point.  As a buyer who has to provide the financial information upfront in order to even make an offer......if the offer is accepted, the total charge (item, shipping, taxes) for that item is immediately billed to the buyer, and the listing is considered PAID.  Should the same buyer make MORE offers to the same seller, each one that is accepted is immediately charged again as a separate charge that once again includes the shipping for that item and is PAID.  The shipping is already paid for each item for which an offer was accepted.   

Yes, sellers can ship in one box and refund the difference, but eBay does not require that the seller do any such thing.  As a buyer, should I just assume a seller would do that?  Probably not. 

Sure, I can ask in advance if they will.  I can ask in advance that they temporarily remove the preference that affects my ID should I become enrolled by force into the "provide payment info in advance" program, or I can just move on if the seller doesn't reply.  Maybe I can just get a new "buyer ID" that won't be affected by this nonsense. 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Thanks to all!

You all did see my understanding the reasons for the policy?

I admit I didn't know that sellers could opt out, not that I expect anyone to.

Remember this is posted to the Buyer list, and is written from that point of view.

My unstated assumption was that sellers would hate dealing with refunds. A lot.

Doug

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@rlaybeast  a 'real' buyer would have no objection to giving their payment info b4 the acceptance from the seller since they would have to pay anyway

weeds out the fakes and wannabees

it's why so many sellers require immediate payment on their BIN listings

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I have wondered why it took so long to implement this. No buyer should be fishing  for a deal and then balk when the seller accepts it. If you are going to accept a hand of cards, you're in the game.

It's a lot like some common- sense laws that are on the books. Common sense shouldn't have to be legislated, but it's necessary because it isn't common enough. 

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I make many offers and this will definitely have a negative affect for me.

It will also weed out the buyers who never had an UPI. If I see this I will hit the back button.

I'm not going to allow a pending charge, tying up my credit for a week when I have no clue if it will be accepted or not.

I  also like to double check everything at the time the charge is submitted. Ebay is well known for glitches and good luck it if they screw something up.

I also sometimes use the 4 day minimum to pay to my advantage, for instance if I'm out of town for a few days, which is often, I can delay payment a few days when I am sure to be back for delivery

Also if I'm within a few days of my credit card cut off date, I'll wait for the next billing cycle to begin.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@spark-chaser1 wrote:

I have wondered why it took so long to implement this. No buyer should be fishing  for a deal and then balk when the seller accepts it. If you are going to accept a hand of cards, you're in the game.

It's a lot like some common- sense laws that are on the books. Common sense shouldn't have to be legislated, but it's necessary because it isn't common enough. 

For real, you've been wondering? Common sense? smh

The same way buyers have to deal with many sellers cancelling transactions with phony reasons to avoid defects, a seller has to deal with a few non paying bidders, it is not my problem.

I have one seller that allows me up to 3 weeks to pay which is a win-win for both of us. I try to buy as much from them as possible and I save a ton on s/h. Currently I won 4 auctions from them so far within the first week.

If a seller can't afford to wait 96 hours for payment it seems to me they should only sell using BIN format requiring immediate payment. Play your card game the way you like it but don't force your rules on others.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Waiting for day 5 to cancel and relist and start over again is a huge burden on Sellers. 

5 days is nothing compared to how long buyers have to wait for their MBG refunds from so many deadbeat sellers.

First the buyer has to wait about a week for the last estimated delivery date or the defective item to arrive. Next the buyer has to open a claim and wait up to 6 more days before thay can ask ebay to step in. Then they will either receive a refund or be issued a shipping label depending on the claim type. Plus after the refund is issued to my card it takes up to an additional week for the credit to post.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Thanks so much for that link! Not cool that we are all automatically opted in. We should have been given the choice to opt in.

Debbie
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

And, this not only is for make an offer, but for auctions as stated in the email I received from them: "You authorize eBay to save these payment details and use them to collect payment from you for items you offer to buy or win at auction on eBay. . . ."

And, how come we are automatically opted in? We should have had the choice whether to opt in or not. I have already opted out for my own listings thanks to the link in this thread.

I understand "why" they are doing it, but not cool! I buy several auctions from a seller regularly and I wait for his combined invoice before paying. I'm not a happy camper that I will now be charged for each individual auction as they end. And, not to mention the extra work for him to refund the overages in shipping.

As a buyer, I don't see how I can change this. Does anyone know if we can? I did it to send an offer on something I really wanted this morning, but I want out of this and can't see how to do it. I do not want to be automatically charged for each auction I win upon its end. I will no longer be using "make an offer." I will probably send a message to the seller and ask them to send me an offer if there is something I want.

Debbie
Message 24 of 32
latest reply

It's not that I don't want to pay right away, but when I win multiple auctions or offers from a seller, I want a combined invoice so that I am not paying shipping on each individual order.

Debbie
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

It is fine for all of those listings. The problem is when you win several auctions and/or offers and want combined shipping.

Debbie
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

As a buyer, I don't see how I can change this. Does anyone know if we can?

@fromyesteryeartohere 

I had the unfortunate experience of having the requirement forced on my 25 year old ID the other day.  I also like to make offers on multiple items from the same sellers.....but Noooooooo.  

I had a very interesting "chat" with an eBay rep on the eBay for Business facebook portal.  After a half hour of this person trying to explain about how a seller chooses "Immediate Payment Required" on their listings (not the issue, of course) the person finally got what I was talking about.  And the word was, basically this was a TEST and NO they will not remove your buyer ID from the program (too bad to be you).  

So, I decided to try and contact the three sellers for which I wanted to submit offers on mustiple listings. I explained the issue and gave them a link to the page where they can turn the default "OFF" to enable me to proceed.  

One seller did do this, and thanked me for letting them know.  The other two have yet to respond.  The result was the first seller that removed the default preference It is the last one on this page:  https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements   got a $250+ sale.  I paid $6.20 shipping instead of $102, and all is good. 

The other two sellers got NOTHING. 

It is going to be real thrill when eBay starts "auto charging" when auction listings end as they say will be  a new upcoming "enhancement".  Those of us that have BUYER IDs forced into the program will see no benefit for being the winning bidder on more than one listing.  It will be the responsibility for the BUYER ID to contact the seller first to see if they are willing the adjust the default setting in the buyer requirements. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

'Now you CAN'.......

@rlaybeast 

My ID got the "reward for being an excellent eBay member for 25 years" a couple of days ago.  I figured it was coming sooner or later.  Indeed it is NOW YOU MUST, and there is no need to 'chew back the word lie'. 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Well, you have ME beat. I've only been with eBay 24 years, almost entirely buying.

Not a 'real buyer', I guess...

Doug

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

"You authorize eBay to save these payment details and use them to collect payment from you for items you offer to buy or win at auction on eBay"

devon@ebay 

Can you please tell us when to expect those of us who have our BUYER IDs forced into this program will start having our auction wins immediately charged as well?  So far it only involves making offers. Will we have to submit a payment source in order to BID as well?   Will it be a surprise feature?  Like if I win ten listings from the same seller, there will no longer be a combined invoice for all ten as they will automatically be charged/paid for when the listing ends?  Streamlined so I pay more for the convenience of not having to take a minute to make a payment on my own?    

Using the example I gave in post #27, if those were "auction wins", I would be charged the $120 for shipping instead of the $6.20.  This is creating a good buyer experience?  

Is eBay planning to let sellers know of this default preference that was added to their buyermanagements page?  It has been there for a while, but I can find no announcement. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply