cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment info required when making an offer

Please note, while eBay's message says 'Now you CAN', it is now  you must. Where I come from, 'can' implies choice, 'must' doesn't.  eBay's message is, at best, shady, at worst, deceptive. Chewing back the word 'lie...'

Now, I know plenty of sellers will rejoice at the news: no more offers sent, accepted, then the buyer sitting on the item without reasonably quickly paying.

I know there will be occasions where multiple offers, especially 'free shipping' implying savings to the seller, and items which can be picked up end up requiring the seller to refund, and isn't that a nasty word, causing things to move less than smoothly.

Again, I understand why, and I will adjust, and probably counter-offer far less often, but I still think eBay didn't clearly, see above, prepare this change.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Yes, but it is THE SELLER that checks payment info required on make offers.

I don't know what the big deal is not wanting to pay right away if an offer is accepted.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I'm also a bit bumfuzzled. It's really no different than a BIN that requires immediate payment. 

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Yes, but it is THE SELLER that checks payment info required on make offers.

I don't know what the big deal is not wanting to pay right away if an offer is accepted.

@fab_finds4u,

Actually, ebay opted many newer sellers into the Buyer Payments Requirements > Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer. 

Without their knowledge. When I first heard about it, went to this account's (my buying only one) Buyer Requirements page and found that if I started selling on that day, I was opted in.

The big deal is, if a buyer wants to make offers on more than one item from a seller they cannot request combined shipping.  They are forced to  pay the item price and shipping cost, leaving it up to the seller to send a partial refund. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@rlaybeast 

"Again, I understand why, and I will adjust, and probably counter-offer far less often, but I still think eBay didn't clearly, see above, prepare this change".

As long as the offer / counter offer negotiations are ongoing, payment is not required.  It is when a buyer or seller accepts an offer, that the payment is automatically sent. 

What ebay really did not think through, was that sellers would not be able to send combined shipping invoices if they opted into requiring buyers to provide a payment method.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I'm sure they thought of it but, in their infinite wisdom, they chose to do it anyway. They had to balance the number of people who accept offers and never pay for them against the minor seller inconvenience of sometimes having to refund shipping charges. I offer to combine shipments but I have very few takers. Sellers can opt of of requiring payment on acceptance of an offer. I opted in even though I don't usually make or accept offers. If someone buys multiple things from me, I refund part of the shipping charge.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:
The big deal is, if a buyer wants to make offers on more than one item from a seller they cannot request combined shipping.  They are forced to  pay the item price and shipping cost, leaving it up to the seller to send a partial refund. 

@mudshark61369 
How did ‘combined shipping’ work previously re offers?  Haven’t offers always involved the item price only … and never involved shipping costs?

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

'MUST' is the correct word and a VERY good thing. Too many deadbeats to a point that it hurt eBay pockets and it ALWAYS hurt sellers pockets. Waiting for day 5 to cancel and relist and start over again is a huge burden on Sellers. 

Hopefully they do this for ALL Buyers someday. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Please note, while eBay's message says 'Now you CAN', it is now  you must. Where I come from, 'can' implies choice, 'must' doesn't.  eBay's message is, at best, shady, at worst, deceptive. Chewing back the word 'lie...'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noted. I get your point, but I don't have an issue with it🙂

Just "typical" eBay speak🤔  They often fail to use words that mean what the really want to say.

Possibly trying to present it in a "softer" tone by saying "can" rather than saying MUST !!!!!

You can...................   oh wow, look what I can do now. 😍 😍 😍

You must....................  hey eBay, don't be telling me what I MUST do 😡 😠☹️ 😡

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Are you the buyer or the seller?  Sorry, I can't tell.

Sellers can TURN OFF that setting in their buyer requirements.  I have mine off:  https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

44d641ef1f364d693771286bddd1a5a0

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@rlaybeast wrote:

Based upon the above Ebay's communication appears in need of improvement

"Now you can"  -    does this disclose to the buyer an opportunity or buyer requirement ?

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

"Now you can"  -    does this disclose to the buyer an opportunity or buyer requirement ?

@ed8108 

Basically, it MEANS that your buyer ID has been placed in the "program", and you will have to provide a payment source PRIOR to being allowed to make an offer.   This will prevent making multiple offers to the same seller for combined shipping, for each 'offer acceptance' will result in payment in full. 

So, if my ID is enrolled in the program as a buyer, and I start making offers on jewelry items with 5$ shipping each, I am going to end up paying $50 shipping fees for ten items when they can easily be shipped for much less.  

If your buyer ID has not (yet ?) been forced into providing a payment source in advance, it makes no difference what the seller has for that preference.  

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

It certainly appears this new ebay program will result in some decline in item sales.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

What I have always done which is much easier is I put everything in a box, then I weigh the box and only make a label for one if the items, and copy that label tracking and add the tracking to each item that is in that box,  if you don't print the labels you don't get charged

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

You the seller would not be charged, but the BUYER would be.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply