cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD--seller sent an empty package.

I ordered an item for $75 and received an empty package. I filed a dispute on Ebay and a claim on paypal stating the item is not as described. Is there anything else I should do?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: FRAUD--seller sent an empty package.

No, nothing, except read the eBay Money Back Guarantee --

in particular WRT if you open a PayPal claim --

your eBay case will be canceled.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

No, nothing, except read the eBay Money Back Guarantee --

in particular WRT if you open a PayPal claim --

your eBay case will be canceled.

Too late for that advice. OP already filed both places. 

To the OP:

As @hafoster has stated, your eBay case will be closed because you also filed on PayPal, so don't be surprised when that happens.

I suppose I'd probably also hang on to all the original packaging/box/wrapping/labels, etc., just in case . . . It's always possible PayPal will ask that it be shipped back to the seller. Crazy, but possible.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

All you needed to file was the Ebay case.  Filing a case on Ebay and on Paypal is not necessary and give the appearance of double dipping.  The Paypal case will cause the Ebay one to close automatically, when that is the only case you should have opened.  

You might want to read about the Ebay Money Back Guarantee, the logo is on almost every listing, Get the item you ordered, or your money back.  Includes purchase price and original shipping.

If the seller requires the item to be sent back, now you will have to pay for the return postage.  The Ebay case would not have required you to pay return shipping; the seller would have been responsible.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Don't know what this guy is playing at, but he accepted my return request and I was provided a return shipping label. I dropped the package off at the post to be returned and received a tracking receipt. I did not have to pay return shipping.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Wow... I tried to put in the tracking number for the RMA and ebay says it already exists in their system. What is going on here?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@chfathersonmemories wrote:

Wow... I tried to put in the tracking number for the RMA and ebay says it already exists in their system. What is going on here?

@chfathersonmemories Nothing is going on here. eBay generated the label and has the tracking number. You don’t need to upload it. And your eBay case is probably going to close any minute now without a refund because you filed a case with paypal. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Don't know what this guy is playing at, but he accepted my return request and I was provided a return shipping label. I dropped the package off at the post to be returned and received a tracking receipt. I did not have to pay return shipping.

PayPal pays for return shipping now anyway. They would have reimbursed you had you not gotten a label through eBay before the eBay case closed. You need to upload the tracking number to the PayPal case though

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I received a message from ebay telling me to file a police report, and once I send them the information I will be refunded.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

You should be refunded the moment the tracking shows the seller received the item back. You are not required to file a police report to receive a refund. Was that message in your email or in the ebay messages on the website itself? 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Both. It's very bizarre and also ridiculous.

"We've placed this case on hold for 10 calendar days to give you time to file and send the report. Once we receive and confirm the report, we'll close the case in your favor and send you a refund. If we don't hear from you within 10 calendar days, we'll close the case and you won't receive a refund."
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I received a message from ebay telling me to file a police report, and once I send them the information I will be refunded.

@chfathersonmemories Do you have a PayPal dispute opened too? If you did, eBay is going to close the eBay case. You are not allowed to have 2 open disputes. 2 open disputes is essentially seeking a double refund even though that was not your intention 🙂

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@snowvsakura wrote:

You should be refunded the moment the tracking shows the seller received the item back. You are not required to file a police report to receive a refund. Was that message in your email or in the ebay messages on the website itself? 

@snowvsakura eBay does require and request police reports and they did ask the OP to file one. It’s common and normal. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Well i filed the police report and sent them the information. All I can do now is wait.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Small update... The seller just received another negative feedback today from a buyer of the same item, but stating it was completely non-functional. This seller is apparently trying to scam multiple people at once here on eBay. Last time I ever buy from a low feedback seller.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply