cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing sells on eBay anymore what's up with that !

I remember when things used to get bids on eBay . Now nothing sells that I put up there unless it's so cheap I make nothing then all the fee's it just not worth bothering . Swap meet seems a better option at this point . Anyone else having same issues ?
Message 1 of 267
latest reply
266 REPLIES 266

Re: Nothing sells on eBay anymore what's up with that !

@4659655 wrote:
Three years ago everything had multiple bids and same style items . Good stuff . I don't think it's me . My prices are very reasonable . You can't go too low or you will lose money with the fees . Just look out there zero bids on almost everything . It's gone down and that's just the way it is . I'll still buy some things but unlike Craigslist you have fees and takes the same amount of time and effort with more local viewers . I have always liked Ebay but it's not what it used to be . Fact !

Not fact at all.  Look at vintage stereo equipment, a category that I frequent often because I am a fan of the stuff.  I have tried to buy several items from this category lately with very little luck, I ALWAYS get outbid.  And before you accuse me of being a lowball bidder, I DO understand how the game here works, my other ID (which is my selling ID) is a power seller, has been for several years, and I have been selling on it since 1999.  I'm not a lowball bidder, but I also am not going to pay what would be equivalent to new retail on a vintage item that I am going to have to take to a local service center and have the power supply updated with new caps and such, either. 

Also, in the same category, I have a vintage Sansui integrated amp that I bought at a yard sale last summer for a whopping $7.00, iguring it probably wouldn't work, but it does actually work just fine.  The particular model I have, would have been either the bottom or next to the bottom of the Sansui line in the early 1970's.  It currently averages nearly $400.00 here on eBay, and every one of them that have been listed have sold in the last month, not a single one of this model went with no bids. 

There used to be a day when nearly ANYthing would sell on eBay, yes, but this is not that time and place.  Ebay is still a valid platform to sell on, but you definitely have to be a smarter BUYER as well as a savvy seller, too.  Your profit is in what you PAY for an item, not in what you sell it for.  This works just the same as if you are a brick and mortar retailer, which I also have 30 years experience in being, although I do not own a brick and mortar store anymore...but I do work for one. 

Message 16 of 267
latest reply

It is a simple one word answer "everything."

years ago there were less sellers more buyers. the downside today is sellers ARE buyers. more are selling than ever before & "everything," is being sold and sold again and resold & recycled back into the marketplace.

years ago a buyer was mostly just that. today you're more likely to sell to another seller.

at one time an auction had a great many collectors. today that same auction is packed with resellers. ebay buyers are just like that very auction they're buying to resell.

Message 17 of 267
latest reply

After 5 years of selling im done. After insertion fees, final value fees, Paypal fees,cost of shipping and or materials, My time and leg work.  there is no meat left on the bone. It is exausting and not rewarding. Ebay is getting fat and my pockets are full of chump change.

Message 18 of 267
latest reply

@iggy123 wrote:

After 5 years of selling im done. After insertion fees, final value fees, Paypal fees,cost of shipping and or materials, My time and leg work.  there is no meat left on the bone. It is exausting and not rewarding. Ebay is getting fat and my pockets are full of chump change.

Then why do you have 3 new listings up?Smiley Indifferent

Anything we can help with?

@iggy123

Original font size edited by me, so I could read it.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 19 of 267
latest reply

What an arrogant response. 

Message 20 of 267
latest reply

If you're going to chastise people, could you at least do it for things that were posted this year?
@beedne9
Message 21 of 267
latest reply

I agree.  If you're buying something in order to resell it on E-bay of course you're not going to make money.  You and I are not Kohls or Macy's nor are we meant to be nor do we have their scale.  If you're buying in order to resell you might as well get suckered into Avon or LuLaRoe or whatever the latest MLM scam is.

As an E-bay memeber of over 10 years I do remember this site having a lot more traffic, bidding on items and even getting bids on a few of my sales.  But something caused E-bay to lose traffic and I think the main reason was deviating from it's roots as an online auction-style garage sale.  Once the traffic died up it was bound to be a slow downward spiral from there.

High fees, shipping costs being what they are, and allowing the Chinese penny-sellers access to the market also provided nails for Ebay's coffin.  Etsy tried to fill the void Ebay had distanced itself from, but even they are getting their clock cleaned for a variety of reasons.  Maybe it was going public that did it.  Amazon still seems to respond to customer service which is perhaps the real secret to business success in this day and age (what a concept, right?)

Message 22 of 267
latest reply

You can have the...
I made this company and it stinks attitude.
Or
I was part of what made this co. great, feels great.

Not every small business makes it, ebay did.
So I could blame it on the sellers that started it and made it this way.

To each its own.

I would love for a new shot at express or whatever they called it, for the small/hobby/occasional sellers, but don't think that's going to happen.

Times are changing so fast.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 23 of 267
latest reply

@mieszko_86 wrote:

If you're buying something in order to resell it on E-bay of course you're not going to make money.

You will if you know what you're doing. If you're selling the same stuff as 100,000 other people, then no, you won't.

Message 24 of 267
latest reply

I've not had great success on Ebay of recent

Message 25 of 267
latest reply

@modswirl wrote:

I've not had great success on Ebay of recent

A 45% sell-through rate when listing only one type of item is a level of success a lot of sellers would kill for.

Message 26 of 267
latest reply

What are you selling? I started in the eBay glory days from 1996-2006, before I launched my own site. However, I had to  constantly changing my products ,  if a item is not sell, the item is either priced to high or the eBay market is over saturated with that product. I started with curtains, once eBay was flooded with curtains, I bought glow sticks, once glow sticks where available in dollar stores, I switched to imported  musical  instruments, once Walmart started carting the same musical  Instruments  for $20 above my cost, I switched to apperal. You've got to change with market. 

Message 27 of 267
latest reply

You said it best every time you search for something the search is flooded withChinese penny sellers. You can't even find items from the general seller who is cleaning out their closet even if you change your search criteria. Which is also why selling as a general is harder because people don't want to scroll through all the Chinese stuff. The fun is gone
Message 28 of 267
latest reply

Your really talking apples and oranges.  Its like saying why are you not selling Ferraris for the price of a Honda.  All depends on quality and these hoodies are light weight as good as you get.  Ive said that eBay has gone down as nobody is buying and their fees are high.  You can't make much money here anymore and people are moving to Amazon.  Ive been selling on eBay since it started and Ive seen it really go down the tubes.  

Message 29 of 267
latest reply

Not sure if you work for eBay but what I said is a fact and have sold on eBay since it started.  Fact is that it jas gone down and nothing sells anymore.  Amazon is killing eBay and thats another fact.  I jumped ship and things sell much better on Amazon.  Its also a mind set.  Since the economy plunged people are just not buying "things" anymore.  However if you wanna sell Amazon is the place.  Key is having the right products and and being able to purchase at the right price.  

Message 30 of 267
latest reply