cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with a Puerto Rico address????

So, I just had someone from PR buy a small guitar part from me, and when I go to print their label, USPS kicks it back and says that you can only use 40 characters in each address line, but apparently their address has more than 40 characters in line 2.  Since I don't speak Spanish, and I am not familiar with the area they're from, I have no idea if they have the address on file correct or not, but it won't let me print it either way.  I messaged them and asked them to correct the address so it fits the 40 characters per address line format.  Is there anything else I should be aware of for fixing this?  I've never had this one come up before, and I've been selling here since 1999... LOL.  Obviously, if it won't let me print it as is, then I can't ship it, so I don't know what to do other than asking them to correct it to the proper format, but what if what they have down is correct?  How do I print a label and ship if it IS correct?  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@theguitarpartsguy 

How much is on the first line?

Can you take some from the second line and put it on the first line?

Have a great day
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@theguitarpartsguy 

SEE THIS LINK FOR SAME TOPIC I POSTED YESTERDAY

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/May-have-to-LEGITIMATELY-cancel-a-purchase-due-to-ISSUE-WITH/t...

I just posted about this exact same topic yesterday, mine was being shipped to Guam, and I was told 35 characters for the address line. You'll see the mixed responses I got. I explained the situation to the buyer and left it up to him if he chose to repurchase or not. I was not worried about risking the sale, as I just did not need the sale that badly and was not willing to (potentially?) risk my seller protections if there was an INR claim and it showed I had editted the Ship To address. I figured the LONG shipping time was just asking for problems...

$40 item, so not a huge amount of money to risk, but I figured I didn't need the sale that badly since it had already sold within 2-3  days of listing it. My only risk would have been if the buyer left me a negative FB for this issue. It was in his court if he wanted to repurchase and amend his shipping address on file. Not my problem, concern or liability.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

So I heard back from the guy, and got it fixed.  First off, he has a lot of feedback, all of it good, and he has no history of leaving negative feedback for sellers, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe in that regard.  It turned out that line 1 of the address on file is his post office box, and the rest of all the stuff was his physical address, which for some reason eBay leaves on when he buys something.  I'm pretty sure I'm safe on this one.  When I edited his address to what he told me, it let it go through as correct.  And, if there's a claim, I have a message from him SAYING to use that address, so he can't really go back on me for not shipping to the address on file. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply