cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Customer Too Far

I have officially quit from the farmstand.......I cannot deal one more day with the customers...this week, one was the catalyst for all this.

In a 3 hour period, she made SEVEN calls to our house (we don't have a phone at the farmstand, since we're there to work). I happened to be at the house for the 7th call:

She wanted to speak to the manager about some Honeycrisp apples she purchased (two half bushels) over two weeks ago. She refused to speak to me, so I told her the owner (Mr. Fabulous) was working at the farmstand that day, & that we were open until 5p.m. She responded with "Fine, I'll run down there". That was around 2:30 Friday afternoon.

She showed up at 4:50p.m. on Saturday, raising **bleep** because......there was 2 stinkbugs in her apples. She took a picture of one of the bugs on an apple....& brought ONE apple back with a hole less than 1/8" across (Mr. Fabulous measured it), wanting her $40 back. Made a big stink in front of the other customers about how she lived 2 hours away, how could we be such poor business people, etc. At that point, I went back into the cooler, because I was so mad at her acting like this in front of the other customers (in fact, she cut in front of one customer that was ready to checkout), I was ready to take it out to the parking lot.

(Mind you, when she called Friday afternoon she never mentioned that....just said "Fine, I'll run down there". Wouldn't that make you think she live in this area?) And the fact is...stinkbugs don't make that big a hole, it's more like the hole made from a straight pin. Mr. Fabulous said it looked more like the hole made when the stem on an apple pokes into another.

Then....it got even better.Smiley Mad

Oh....she didn't bring the two half bushels of Honeycrisp back....just ONE apple....& wanted to be refunded $40. Then, while she was carping about how they weren't holding up....we found out that she did NOT put them in a cool place, or in the fridge....she left them in her garage. Which probably explains the stinkbugs, they are over most of lower Michigan.  And since the weather has been in the low 70s....& Honeycrisp are not the best "long storage" apple unless you keep them at 34-35 degrees...of course some of them are having problems. That's why the sign with them says "keeps best when refrigerated".

What really **bleep** me off......HE went ahead & gave her back her money.....& she still gets the apples.Smiley MadSmiley Mad Then, he doesn't even get her licence plate number, a name, anything. I'm willing to bet money she didn't even buy the apples from us, I would think we would remember someone spending $40 for Honeycrisp.

I guessing we will also have a bad review on something like Yelp.

And yet.....he can't figure out why I don't really want to do this anymore.  I lost my temper up to the house & pointed out that "for someone who fought in a war, watched people die & had to pick up the remains, you sure acted like a **bleep** down at the stand".

I'm still ticked off at him over this.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: A Customer Too Far

I don't know, if you like what you're doing I would just chalk this experience up as part of the deal and continue.  If you're looking for a reason to quit, it's a dang good one.  Lot of nuts out there.

"Donald Trump gave up his wealth for America. Joe Biden gave up America for his wealth."
Message 16 of 36
latest reply

When I get an unreasonable customer at work, especially in front of other customers, I make sure I explain the situation in terms that others will understand..

"I'm sorry you are having an issue..  Let me make sure I understand. You bought apples 2 weeks ago, and after sitting in your garage for 2 weeks, you found 2 stinkbugs in them, and this one apple has this small hole in it. The rest of the $40 worth of apples are at home. And you are looking for a total complete refund because of this, do I understand you correctly?"

Usually the customer has no shame, but the others listening will understand what is going on.  Of course, in the heat of the moment it can be hard to do this. I have had people like this that are so rude or unreasonable they almost put you into a state of shock!

Sorry this happened to you, hopefully you will never see that person again!

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@bad_watermelon wrote:

My full 100% support (as always) skidded to a halt when I read the last paragraph.

I hope you aren't repeating this story to folks who actually know you, because you'll look bad doing it.

Well, most everybody around here knows him (& is usually a relative in some way).........& the majority of the family consider him (at best) a "doofus". Compared to the two wives before me, I look like Mother Tereasa.Smiley Very Happy

The thing is....if one of our employees or myself have done this, he would raise holy **bleep**.  And all that type of thing does is  verify the opinion that "farmers are dumb uneducated hicks, who deserve to be taken".....& trust me, we get a LOT of that around here from the "hoi poli" who spend their summers here.  And the only reason HE dealt with her was because I wasn't down there for him to palm it off on me.

Did I mention that I'm NOT a paid employee???   Been doing this since 1985 (on weekends in the summer before we got married in 1990), never been paid. 

All the more reason to go for "early retirement.Smiley Very Happy

It's amazing when they find out how much work you did....when you aren't around doing it any more.

(Speaking of "work".......he does not consider anything I do to keep us going (laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, cooking, paying bills on time......you know, all the stuff the wife does ..... as "work". Like so many men out there, he must think the little house/farm pixies do all that, while I sit in the house, eat bonbons & watch "Fixer Upper" & "Rehab Addict".

He's real lucky I'm not into shopping online.Smiley Wink).

Today, it's HIS turn to sit in the farmstand. It's been pouring rain all day (they're calling for us to have over 5" of rain in 24 hours, & more of the same  until Sat). According to his "calculations", we need to have a minimum of $200 in sales daily to justify having the farmstand open......from 10 -3, we've taken in about $60....& we're open until 5p.m.

Let's see some hustle.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

@mountainallie wrote:

Customer service is never fun. My new daughter-in-law is in human resources for a chicken franchise. Last week, she had to deal with a customer who insisted her food had been spit into. There's always going to be something to cause grief.

I was a DM for a chicken franchise. I was at a store one day when a woman came in demanding $1000 or she was going to call her lawyer and sue us
"Why" I asked
"There was a beak in my chicken"

"Mam, we don't sell the heads"
"Well there was still a beak in my chicken"
"How did you know it was a beak?" (I had to ask)
"I saw it! It was yellow!"
"Well did you bring it with you????"
"No! I swallowed it!" was her reply

True store.....it takes all kinds these days.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

maybe it's time to close early and wake up late

So, your customers are those outside the 9-5 workaday?Do they tend to be the older retired or the non-working?
Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Way back in my early days of selling on e-bay, I had a buyer actually get my info and called the local police department to complain that I stole $15 from him andhe had not received his item.

That was back before paypal when everything was done by check...

The police actually called me to find out what was going on...  I explained to him that I held the item until the check cleared, as was stated in my listing.  I mailed the item out the same day it cleared, and e-mailed him notice of that, and his complaint to the police was well before the item could possibly have gotten to the buyer.

That was the last I heard...http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/karencarlton/A%20Smilies/Seasonal%20Smilies/fall/Halloween/1hallow.gif

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Keep in mind......we HAVE been open 7 days a week, from 10-6. Usually there is someone there setting up at 9:30....& if we still have customers after 6, we stay open to help them. This also does not count the time working on the farm, going to the farmers market twice a week, running errands like change for the farmstand, getting supplies like bags / containers/cleaning supplies etc. This week is the first week we closed at 5.

Our main customer base is people who are well off enough that they have a summer house on Lake Michigan....on average, those houses are valued at $1 million & up....they don't work during the summer (a lot of them are retired). And a lot of them are only here for 3, 4 months tops....then they go to their "winter home" in places like Sarasota, Palm Beach & Hilton Head. The "poorer folk" who have summer homes go back to the Chicago area.  We also have a customer base that is younger....but they come on the weekends, not during the week.

BUT....

Since this is a "summer resort" area, if the weather is not sunny & 70 degrees (or warmer)....you don't have sales.

From the time we start for the year (greenhouse in March for field transplants) until we finish for the year (mid November), we have the equivilent of a "leg shackle" on us. We give up family events, holidays, personal time. We work from before dawn to after dark.  At best, we get maybe 2, 3 "home cooked" meals a week....the rest of the time, it's take out pizza, Subway....or we don't eat dinner at all, just go to bed.

At one time, I was working 60 hours/week....which meant Mr. Fabulous was working almost double that, because he does all the farming.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

You've chosen a hard path. Don't know how long you've been at it. Maybe it's time to cut back on retail?? I know you'd miss it until you just said...

Forbid I'd advice (my life is not worth emulating) but would you miss it? Course,come spring would you know what to do if you weren't planting and sowing?

(Do you really want to family? Old saying, beware what you wish for)

Back when the boom was going on, there were a lot of MacMansions put up--in the middle of a field with no trees. Not me.
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@fruitflogger wrote:

Ah....the end of another "successful" season. Except.....

On 11/1, we have: a $9000 "final payment" on a loan that he took out for working capital to farm....that was never discussed with me before he did it.

$2000 "once a year" payment on life insurance. Accidental Death, of course.Smiley Wink

$300 electric bill for the coolers at the farmstand (at least THAT will be ending soon. Will run one cooler into Nov. for anything left over, & the colder weather will keep the cost down).

$486 payment for the new tractor he just HAD to have....that's now sitting dead in the water due to a split fuel line.Smiley Mad Of course, it's raining like crazy....so no one wants to lay in a puddle trying to fix it.

One can only pile so much on....before the mule refuses to move.

P.S.: I don't really want the job back.....I'm 64, gimped /burned out, & he's talking another 7 years before we "retire for good".

......perhaps it's time to go buy something expensive. Or new socks.Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps it's time to give up on the husband.  It doesn't sound like a happy marriage.  Life is too short to spend your twilight years with someone who makes you so unhappy.  Hope things work out for you.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

"......Course come spring would you know what to do if you weren't planting & sowing?"

The first time Mr. Fabulous was deployed, we didn't farm, open the home market.....& I only went to the farmers market with basil & a few other things for a few hours on Wed & Sat. (because they made us pay for the seasonal stalls even though he was deployed....or we lost them for good. And you can't get 3 stall spaces in a row anymore...we were "grandfathered " in). And I found out what to do.

It was called "have a normal life".

During that year, my house was clean every day......no dishes, no cobwebs, no dirty floors from mud & dirt tracked in from the field. No piles of paper everywhere. No piles of dirty stinking clothes from farming. Took me about an hour each day to clean a 2BR, 2 bathroom house.....that had been a mess everday for I don't know how long.

For the first time in over 10years.....I got to go to Lake Michigan, just to walk on the beach or sit & watch the water. Go to a museum an hour away that when I lived there, I visited about once a week...it had been almost 7 years since my last visit.

I got to go overnight & visit friends I hadn't seen in over 5 years....& they were only about 2 1/2 hours away.

To go for a drive, just for the fun of it.

I got to have flowers in my yard for myself....not to be cut & sold.

The luxury of just sitting on the porch & watching the birds.

Trips to the little lakeside resort town just to see things & window shop....a town that I only saw on the way to driving an order to one of the restaurants.

To go out to eat lunch.....& not have to watch the clock...& actually enjoy the food, instead of just shoveling it in & going back to work. For that matter, to eat what I wanted, when I wanted....instead of having to make compromises becaue the other person wouldn't eat what you wanted to fix.

To get up to watch the sun come up....not because you have to work, but just for the wonder of seeing it. To be able to watch what I wanted on TV, instead of sitting through the same political stuff, over & over & over.

Most of all....the time & space to paint, draw, do what I went to college to study for.....instead of having to put it aside because someone had to work at the market, or run errands for the farm, or drive Mr. Fabulous from Point A to Point B to do farm work or follow the tractor home so he wouldn't get hit.

To not have the shackle of time & work on you is a glorious thing.

And to have to give that up, & put that shackle back on is incredibly hard.

I once told Mr. Fabulous that as far as the public is concerned, I'm not even a person at the farmstand....just a hat, a body & a pair of hands. I think that happens to a lot of people who have to deal with the public day after day after day. I was reminded of what I told Mr. Fabulous when the lovely lady with the apples wouldn't even talk to me on the phone when she called Friday......because all I seem to be is "a pair of hands".

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Maybe it's time to paint pictures of the flowers in your yard and sell those at the farmer's market. A lot more enjoyment and a lot less work.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Sounds like you are ready to go back to a different time, not to say there won't be aggervations on the way. However, come spring..

I had a vet for a while before PTSD (or whatever they call it now) was even an acronym. RIP. (Was't service related and long after we were a thing) Truth knows I'm not by any imagination a prize but I have to tell you retirement has its virtues. I was weaned into it so I didn't just wake up one day with nothing to do. Now I pretty much have nothing to but play computer games (odd circumstances). It could be worse by stretches.

You won't get “full benefits” (whatever those are) but I would look into SS once you reach Medicare age.
Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@ep02-1 wrote:
Sounds like you are ready to go back to a different time, not to say there won't be aggervations on the way. However, come spring..

I had a vet for a while before PTSD (or whatever they call it now) was even an acronym. RIP. (Was't service related and long after we were a thing) Truth knows I'm not by any imagination a prize but I have to tell you retirement has its virtues. I was weaned into it so I didn't just wake up one day with nothing to do. Now I pretty much have nothing to but play computer games (odd circumstances). It could be worse by stretches.

You won't get “full benefits” (whatever those are) but I would look into SS once you reach Medicare age.

Actually, I'm drawing SS now. Mr. Fabulous is collecting a "disability pension" from the military because whatever was going on over there has caused problems with his breathing & red blood cell count.

That stops when he passes.....so for me, it will be SS, a small life insurance policy he has.......& that's it. Unless I figure something out that actually works.....so far, I have not been successful.

Mountainallie........the farmer market rules do not allow you to sell arts/crafts unless they are made with a product raised on your farm (such as gourds, dried flowers, etc).

For an area with so many art galleries/studios, there is not much support of the arts in the way of sales.  While some of the "hoi poli" will buy paintings, etc.......the locals don't. And to a great many of the locals, to be a woman who says "I'm an artist" is the equivilent of her saying "I'm a **bleep**".........they just assume she's a drunken, druggie floozy. It's one of the reasons I don't have much to do with the local populace. And why so many artists/craftsmen who move here end up leaving.....they just can't make enough to afford to live here.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

so, you are retired and working your backside off?? Hmmm. You do know retirement work is suppose to be fun?

So how long you had the farm? Before or after Mr. F?
Message 29 of 36
latest reply

After......we married in 1990. 4-5 years before we married,  I was coming up on the weekends to visit & work at the tiny setup he had down the street (his former "bachelor trailer"). About the size that a 10'x10' canopy could cover. At that time, he didn't have a "regular space" at the farmers market....he would be in "the draw" for unused spaces that day, you might get one, you might not.

Basicly......the only way you could get a "regular space" was if one of the other farmers retired/passed away. Took him around 7 years to get a "regular space". Currently, there are over 70 farmers/vendors waiting for a spot....if you're an older farmer, it's like watching the sharks circle a life raft.

My parents were originaly farm kids.....when they married, they became "management farmers" for a large farm that raised contract vegetables like cabbage, tomatoes....& radishes. Open top, semi truck loads of radishes that went into some sort of relish at a cannary. They ended up moving into town.

When my mom found out I was getting married to a farmer, she blew a cork: "Why the **bleep** do you think we moved into town...because we didn't want you farming!!!!!!!!!".

Maybe that was a way to irk Mom.Smiley Very Happy

There's a lot of difference between how my parents farmed & having fruit trees. They can walk away after a bit......when you do fruit, you're in for "the long haul", because it's 3-5 years from the time you plant little trees until you have an actual decent crop (if you raise pears, try TEN years to a decent crop....but you can have those pear trees for almost 100 years if you take care of them). You have to take care of the trees, even if there's no crop, prune them, shape them, take care of their physical needs.

It's sort of like raising kids. But they frown on you taking a chainsaw to the kid if it turns out to be worthless.Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 36
latest reply