cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Customer Too Far

I have officially quit from the farmstand.......I cannot deal one more day with the customers...this week, one was the catalyst for all this.

In a 3 hour period, she made SEVEN calls to our house (we don't have a phone at the farmstand, since we're there to work). I happened to be at the house for the 7th call:

She wanted to speak to the manager about some Honeycrisp apples she purchased (two half bushels) over two weeks ago. She refused to speak to me, so I told her the owner (Mr. Fabulous) was working at the farmstand that day, & that we were open until 5p.m. She responded with "Fine, I'll run down there". That was around 2:30 Friday afternoon.

She showed up at 4:50p.m. on Saturday, raising **bleep** because......there was 2 stinkbugs in her apples. She took a picture of one of the bugs on an apple....& brought ONE apple back with a hole less than 1/8" across (Mr. Fabulous measured it), wanting her $40 back. Made a big stink in front of the other customers about how she lived 2 hours away, how could we be such poor business people, etc. At that point, I went back into the cooler, because I was so mad at her acting like this in front of the other customers (in fact, she cut in front of one customer that was ready to checkout), I was ready to take it out to the parking lot.

(Mind you, when she called Friday afternoon she never mentioned that....just said "Fine, I'll run down there". Wouldn't that make you think she live in this area?) And the fact is...stinkbugs don't make that big a hole, it's more like the hole made from a straight pin. Mr. Fabulous said it looked more like the hole made when the stem on an apple pokes into another.

Then....it got even better.Smiley Mad

Oh....she didn't bring the two half bushels of Honeycrisp back....just ONE apple....& wanted to be refunded $40. Then, while she was carping about how they weren't holding up....we found out that she did NOT put them in a cool place, or in the fridge....she left them in her garage. Which probably explains the stinkbugs, they are over most of lower Michigan.  And since the weather has been in the low 70s....& Honeycrisp are not the best "long storage" apple unless you keep them at 34-35 degrees...of course some of them are having problems. That's why the sign with them says "keeps best when refrigerated".

What really **bleep** me off......HE went ahead & gave her back her money.....& she still gets the apples.Smiley MadSmiley Mad Then, he doesn't even get her licence plate number, a name, anything. I'm willing to bet money she didn't even buy the apples from us, I would think we would remember someone spending $40 for Honeycrisp.

I guessing we will also have a bad review on something like Yelp.

And yet.....he can't figure out why I don't really want to do this anymore.  I lost my temper up to the house & pointed out that "for someone who fought in a war, watched people die & had to pick up the remains, you sure acted like a **bleep** down at the stand".

I'm still ticked off at him over this.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

A Customer Too Far

Here in Houston we had a lot of stink bugs this summer. They would congregate on my sunflowers and attack my green beans. Hate those things.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

"What really ... ...

HE went ahead & gave her back her money.....& she still gets the apples.

Then, he doesn't even get her licence plate number, a name, anything. I'm willing to bet money she didn't even buy the apples from us..."

----------

Ok I am so sorry to hear this!

You are Good people.  And she took advantage of that.

How?

Because it was so Unexpected.. with all the customers around

that.. at the time... he thought it was the Right thing to do!

Now...

Take some time, discuss this,

Perhaps formulate some official "Rule".. of how to best deal with this

If / When this happens if the future.

Take care,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

I'm still ticked off at him over this.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/98794902/large.jpg

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

fruit, that $40 refund went a long way with the other customers.  First they knew from her reaction that the woman was nuts.  Second the other customers knew that you are the kind of people who take pride in your product and will do what you can to make a customer, any customer, even a nut job happy.  

Unfortunately the public are not the nicest, especially these days and it sometimes is easier to lose $40 then your self-respect and pride and integrity.

Don't be too bad at Mr. Fabulous.  He did what he thought was right for the business and like the old saying goes pick your fights wisely. 

"Tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich. The rich leave, and now what do you do?” - Andrew Cuomo, February, 2019
Message 5 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

That sounds like good advice. Although I wouldn't have paid her. I would have told her stink bugs do NOT bore into fruit or create holes. The bug was from her own garage.

A quick search, it seems they lay their eggs on the leaves and stem (no hole there). They shove their snouts under the skin leaving only a pin hole, hardly visible.

Any blemishes on fruit I always cut out....looks like it was a good idea. Glad I wasn't wasting my time. These bugs inject a fluid then suck out the predigested mix leaving a scar if left long enough.

Maybe once you cool off you could print up info on this bug, and others, for the next time someone tries to scam you. And get your job back. Unless you actualy called him "a **bleep**". Lol

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

Yes, I did call him that. Mommy pulls no punches when the husband really works her last good nerve.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

Anonymous
Not applicable

grinning

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

Ah....the end of another "successful" season. Except.....

On 11/1, we have: a $9000 "final payment" on a loan that he took out for working capital to farm....that was never discussed with me before he did it.

$2000 "once a year" payment on life insurance. Accidental Death, of course.Smiley Wink

$300 electric bill for the coolers at the farmstand (at least THAT will be ending soon. Will run one cooler into Nov. for anything left over, & the colder weather will keep the cost down).

$486 payment for the new tractor he just HAD to have....that's now sitting dead in the water due to a split fuel line.Smiley Mad Of course, it's raining like crazy....so no one wants to lay in a puddle trying to fix it.

One can only pile so much on....before the mule refuses to move.

P.S.: I don't really want the job back.....I'm 64, gimped /burned out, & he's talking another 7 years before we "retire for good".

......perhaps it's time to go buy something expensive. Or new socks.Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

My full 100% support (as always) skidded to a halt when I read the last paragraph.

I hope you aren't repeating this story to folks who actually know you, because you'll look bad doing it.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

Buy the new socks.  That's always best in the colder weather. 

"Tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich. The rich leave, and now what do you do?” - Andrew Cuomo, February, 2019
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

new socks can do marvels. at 64 I'd opt for social security--dam anyone who says it's a handout and do you really think waiting will benefit you? You ain't gonna go hungry. (nothing says you can't retire separately-but beware IRS will try to say you earned too much and deduct but I'm guessing that can be worked around.)

I've got major problems with ins. cos, I don't think it is particularly personal. They've gotten way too much of my budget over many years and when I wanted to collect, they'd moved their claims to nonprofessional nay-sayers. I'd been better off saving that money (or even spending it). I don't have interest in dealing with these folks. I may not have pressing matters to attend to but ya know I don't have to!
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

I'm afraid we might be married to the same man.  He wants to retire but he can't give up that nasty habit of spending money so we can live on a retirement income.

Customer service is never fun. My new daughter-in-law is in human resources for a chicken franchise. Last week, she had to deal with a customer who insisted her food had been spit into. There's always going to be something to cause grief.

If the apples were the last straw, it's time to retire. Sad to leave something you probably enjoyed doing on such a sour note though.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

oh Fruit...I'm so sorry...

Go buy the new socks...seriously get some nice fuzzy warm ones...

On most days (for me) the general public is ok-ish...but there are some days that make the ok-ish ones look like a trip to the beach...

Hugs to you, and a frying pan (for bashing mr. fab over the head...)
Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

A Customer Too Far

Hey fruit, just remember, it can only get worse.

We once had a customer call the police because the cashier forgot to deduct a 50 cent coupon from her total. 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply