cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - 2021 Fall Seller Update

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the eBay Seller Update team. They are here to address any questions you may have about the 2021 Fall Seller Update. 

If you need a refresher, you can read more about the Update here.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Community Chat, September 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - 2021 Fall Seller Update

OFF TOPIC

I have been trying for months now to get a negative feedback removed.  I feel it is a clear case of FEEDBACK EXTORTION.  The situation is as follows…

1.  The buyer ordered an adult cat collar but our vendor shipped a kitten size collar in error.
  2. We offered to ship a replacement immediately and include a prepaid return label + packaging in the shipment so that he wouldn’t have to wait for the return to be delivered before we shipped the replacement.
  3. The buyer stated that he gave the collar away and was not going to return it. He demanded a free replacement with no return and threatened our feedback in two separate emails if we did not comply.
  4. We did not comply and he then left us a very lengthy negative feedback.
  5. We reported him and also attempted to get the feedback removed.
  6. We wanted to talk to a human being who could review his emails during the conversation.  However, that turned out not to be possible so we were forced to use Live Chat. 
  7. The Live Chat person did review everything and did state that the feedback was removable.  However, he also stated that we had to use the Feedback Removal Request Tool to get it removed.
  8. I told him that my experience has been that nothing ever gets removed when that tool is used, but he tried to reassure me and stated that this was my only option.
  9. And, BIG SURPISE, when I submitted it, it did not get removed.

I am respectfully requesting that someone from eBay review this information, and most specifically the email string between myself and this buyer.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Always a newbie!
Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Hi all, thanks for having this chat on the fall update!  Much appreciated. My question is related to fine jewelry listings, that is jewelry that has a base metal of solid gold or silver, etc.  There has been a huge issue for a long time where sellers put things like "18K OVER" in their listing titles and IS.  Almost always the base metal on those is  copper or tin but yet all these listing show up as fine jewelry and compete against listings that really do have a base metal of gold, silver platinum (that is to say at least one significant part of the piece is solid precious metals, not plated and not "over" except for vermeil.

I am hoping the new jewelry IS and categories will help solve this problem so shoppers can easily find true solid gold and sterling pieces only in their desired search results?  Please note that being in the existing fine jewelry category has not helped much as the listings go under fine jewelry just because the have a low grade stone or at label with 14K GF,  or 18K GP

Of course there are exceptions, but plated jewelry should be able to be eliminated easily in search.  Another issue is allowing items to be in fine jewelry when they have a gemstone only and NO solid gold silver also causes many unnecessary matches in the the current scheme.

Please give an example or 2 of exactly what the shopper would type in their search query to get only the true fine metals jewelry?  Maybe one example for PC interface and one example for smart phone which has a very different search flow. 

Of course I am aware search will still get the matches where the seller has mis-represented the piece 😞  but other than those, how would you see a successful search flow going with the same or less steps that the current flow?  Anything to help with buyers thinking they are getting gold when they end up with gold plated would be an improvement.  And search results is a good place to start.

Thanks

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

PLA---Keyword bidding....would i be bidding on ONE keyword, or could it be a combination of specific keywords (ie, "phone" or "Pixel 4a Smart Phone") And would I be able to exclude specific keywords as well? 

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! It can be a combination of words to make the 'keyword', not exceeding ten words or 80 characters in the 'keyword'. There is not a way to exclude specific keywords though. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 18 of 41
latest reply

chelsea, since you are in charge of the updates, and are in favor of more transparency, how about announcing the dates of future updates in advance, even if only a week or two in advance?  Some of us make a real effort to review the Update when it first comes out, ask questions on the Update Board, etc.....that would be a lot easier to do if we could calendar the event ahead of time. How about it? Could you do that? Pretty please?

-----

Edit: A response to your question can be found here

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @saturdaystoys great question. Although I don't have any details on this yet but I will make sure that the community team gets an answer for you when we hear back. 

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Maybe this chat should have been postponed until after updates have been done so we can get some clear answers instead of postponements?

This is an effort in futility.

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

chelsea, Is there anything in Seller School right now about PLAdvanced?  I looked the other night and didn't see anything, but maybe I missed it....

-----

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

I do a work-around when buying shipping labels, just to keep Transaction Summary in MP data presented so it can be cross-referenced back to specific shipment. I buy each label one.at.a.time.  No more using Bulk labels. Sad, since that was a welcomed feature added a couple years ago, not just for eliminating redundancy, but also included the appreciated SCAN form. Any word on improving details for transactions from Bulk Labels so a seller sees breakdown of orders it was tied to?

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

velvet@ebay  Thanks for the clarification on keywords. Is keyword exclusion something you would consider for the future?

-----

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques I'm here to speak about the announcements shared in Seller Update. These two things you mentioned were not part of the update and I do not have a timeline for them. 🙂

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

oops. i will repost this next week. I just realized thisa week is NOT general topics. Very sorry.

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

I know I said this on the Seller Update board- but I'm repeating it because I think it's a really important point.

Important specifics about how the category changes will roll out in October was not included in the Seller Update. This includes details like the postcard sub-categories being converted into item specifics (we still don't know if that's happening for other categories or if it's specific to postcards). and details like the P&G shifts where an entire brand of product will move to plates or bowls- will have a secondary move based on object type.

This kind of info is really important for sellers- and you can see from my posts and others' posts throughout the seller update discussions- by not disclosing upfront, it created a lot of concern around these updates that could have been avoided. Our questions could have been more focused and everybody's stress levels decreased.

I hope eBay will be making all of these details surrounding the category changes crystal clear to sellers come October when this all gets implemented- a lot of sellers don't read these boards so communicating through more official channels like e-mails, Seller Hub notifications and the Announcements board would be a good idea (in my not so humble opinion). This info should be communicated before October 12th and include the fact that it will take a few days for the changes to finish rolling out- so sellers should avoid updating their affected listings during those few days and wait until the 16th (or whatever date is appropriate) to dive in to the new IS requirements.

My original post-

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Listing-Promoting/Category-changes-to-help-buyers-find-your-items/m-p/...

-----

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

So........just wondering if anyone heard us about the problems with category change in Oct?.......the time stressors in trying to do that and handling the upswing of orders (hopefully) and listing in the 4th quarter?\

lol..........off to the slow typist corner.......

-----

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

Hi all, thanks for having this chat on the fall update!  Much appreciated. My question is related to fine jewelry listings, that is jewelry that has a base metal of solid gold or silver, etc.  There has been a huge issue for a long time where sellers put things like "18K OVER" in their listing titles and IS.  Almost always the base metal on those is  copper or tin but yet all these listing show up as fine jewelry and compete against listings that really do have a base metal of gold, silver platinum (that is to say at least one significant part of the piece is solid precious metals, not plated and not "over" except for vermeil.

I am hoping the new jewelry IS and categories will help solve this problem so shoppers can easily find true solid gold and sterling pieces only in their desired search results?  Please note that being in the existing fine jewelry category has not helped much as the listings go under fine jewelry just because the have a low grade stone or at label with 14K GF,  or 18K GP

Of course there are exceptions, but plated jewelry should be able to be eliminated easily in search.  Another issue is allowing items to be in fine jewelry when they have a gemstone only and NO solid gold silver also causes many unnecessary matches in the the current scheme.

Please give an example or 2 of exactly what the shopper would type in their search query to get only the true fine metals jewelry?  Maybe one example for PC interface and one example for smart phone which has a very different search flow. 

Of course I am aware search will still get the matches where the seller has mis-represented the piece 😞  but other than those, how would you see a successful search flow going with the same or less steps that the current flow?  Anything to help with buyers thinking they are getting gold when they end up with gold plated would be an improvement.  And search results is a good place to start.

Thanks

Great question on this @babclassics! We've got this as a question for the Category team and they should get us a reply within the next day or so. We'll post their reply here and make sure you get tagged when they do! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 29 of 41
latest reply

The User Agreement e-mails are taking a really long time to be sent. I just got the e-mail about UA changes for this posting ID a couple hours ago- my main selling account didn't even get the e-mail yet.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 30 of 41
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: