cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 1 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Hi Tyler,

Is it true that ending listings and then using "Sell Similar" refreshes listings and results in more views, or does editing all your listings without making any changes does the same ?

Are items that have been listed for a long time likely to appear farther down in search results ?

Thanks

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

Hi Tyler!

tyler@ebay 

I've noticed a glitch in the Payments summary and Payments All transactions pages lately. Could you either get this reported so the team can work on it, or let me know if it is already a known issue? I'd like to get my account on the ticket if one exists.

Lately, the Payments Summary and Payments All Transactions pages both show shipping via Priority mail when Media is what was used and paid for.   If you click on an order detail it states media, which is correct.  It states Priority whether I used bulk shipping or just did a single label.

Thanks!

-----

A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

WOW, I got just got screwed by ebay, guy gets a broken fishing rod, I request pictures so I can file USPS insurance claim, he opens a CC dispute, no pictures, no way to return. My only choices are challenge or accept and pay, no way to get the fishing rod back so I can file claim. I've been hearing ebay doesn't have the sellers back when it comes to disputes but this is proof right here. 

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here.

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

When I respond to an offer, sometimes the first big blue button is "accept offer" and the next smaller white button is "make counter offer".

But other times the first big blue button is "make counter offer" and the next smaller white button is "accept offer".

Why isn't it always the same? I often almost click the wrong button.

-----

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@glenvonnie wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Is it true that ending listings and then using "Sell Similar" refreshes listings and results in more views, or does editing all your listings without making any changes does the same ?

Are items that have been listed for a long time likely to appear farther down in search results ?

Thanks

Hey @glenvonnie! It's a rumor I have heard before but it's not true either way, the views on the listing and sold history can help boost your best match results. You can also check here for best match optimization as well! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

Many resellers think using SELL SIMILAR will help listings as they get a new item number and the listings will then appear as "new".  However, several years ago, I tried that, instead of using RELIST.  I found no improvement in sales, and I stopped.  Using SELL SIMILAR takes longer, as you have to do it one-by-one.  Since I found no Improvement in sales, I stopped.  I END my listings in batches when they approach 90 days.  I then RELIST them in a couple of weeks or so.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

I had a customer buy a cheap part from us and he was able to get a return approved 2 days before he even received the part. He chose doesn't fit as the reason and in the notes wrote wrong part sent.

It's frustrating enough that returns are automatically approved without any contact from Ebay or the customer. Let alone before he even received it.

When I happened to notice the return and that he hadn't received it I asked him what he actually received if it wasn't the right part and to send a photo of what he received knowing that wasn't possible because he didn't have it yet.

His response was it was too hard to send a photo in Ebay messages but if I gave him my personal email he could send me a photo.

So we are stuck paying for him to ship it back for a bogus reason. Thankfully it wasn't something heavy. I've heard of this happening to others why can't the system be fixed to not let the customers make a return until tracking shows it has delivered?

-----

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

I had two returns. eBay provided the shipping labels and I was overcharged by $29. I corresponded with Velvet on Facebook and after a two-week delay, she finally explained that the overcharge was because each USPS Priority Mail package weighed 96 pounds. I explained that you can't ship a 96-pound package by USPS Priority Mail, and that the actual weight of each package was 5 pounds.

What do I have to do to get a refund from eBay? Credit card chargeback? Small claims court? News media?

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

@myhomeschooldelights wrote:

Hi Tyler!

tyler@ebay 

I've noticed a glitch in the Payments summary and Payments All transactions pages lately. Could you either get this reported so the team can work on it, or let me know if it is already a known issue? I'd like to get my account on the ticket if one exists.

Lately, the Payments Summary and Payments All Transactions pages both show shipping via Priority mail when Media is what was used and paid for.   If you click on an order detail it states media, which is correct.  It states Priority whether I used bulk shipping or just did a single label.

Thanks!

Hi @myhomeschooldelights - great to see you!

I haven't heard of this at all - that's definitely concerning. I'll get it reported from my end. Do you have current orders that are displaying that way? I'd love to grab a screenshot. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 64
latest reply

can anyone help this person?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/eBay-takes-me-to-Payoneer-Sign-Up-page-instead-of-Sign-In-pag...

-----

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

Hi,

On the Seller Financial Summary Page, my last 5 items which were shipped 1st Class, with 1st Class Postage being paid, are shown as having been shipped with Priority Mail. This started a couple of days ago.

I thought I had made a mistake and voided and reprinted two labels.

It's not a major issue, the labels printed out properly for 1st Class.

-----

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

WOW, I got just got screwed by ebay, guy gets a broken fishing rod, I request pictures so I can file USPS insurance claim, he opens a CC dispute, no pictures, no way to return. My only choices are challenge or accept and pay, no way to get the fishing rod back so I can file claim. I've been hearing ebay doesn't have the sellers back when it comes to disputes but this is proof right here. 

This is true on so many levels. The eBay MBG has become nothing more than the word of that "poor, innocent, deceived" buyer against the word of that "lying, thieving, dishonest" seller.

There are many items (I'm thinking the "junk drawers" specifically, but there are many others) that, by definition, cannot be "not as described", yet all anyone has to do is claim that they are and they're automatically refunded in full. For high volume sellers, they may be able to absorb this sort of cost, but for the smaller sellers (who make up the majority of sellers), it becomes a real hardship.

There really needs to be an enforceable "no refunds" option in some categories, with that disclosed to the buyer at each step of the check-out process. How about it, eBay?

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

Hi Tyler!

Yes, I do.  As an example, try order #25-07542-16731

From order details page it says:
Shipping details
Shipping method  USPS Media Mail

But from Payments Summary page it says:
Shipping label for order no. 25-07542-16731
USPS Priority Mail

Thanks so much for helping.

-----

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

When I respond to an offer, sometimes the first big blue button is "accept offer" and the next smaller white button is "make counter offer".

But other times the first big blue button is "make counter offer" and the next smaller white button is "accept offer".

Why isn't it always the same? I often almost click the wrong button.

@carlqsportscards Hey I'm not sure I have seen this happen. If it happens frequently and you can get screenshots we can take a deeper dive! You can always send them to eBay Facebook, this way if it's a bug it can get reported as well! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 15 of 64
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: